EDC VI Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did a scotch-brite finish on the small Insingo - here's the progression (thanks to Derek (link2derek) for the help on how to do it). I did both sides, but provided a comparison shot. I started out with some steel wool, then moved to the scotch-brite pad and then to 600 & 800 grit sandpaper. I also removed the blue from the thumbstud:

Most Excellent, my friend!! You did a great job. And I appreciate the shout out - thank you. This is probably the one you were talking about - I love it (and kept the blue... for now):

Looks great David! Looks like it's had years of pocket time:)

Today I carried the Chi (as usual) and my recent acquisition: a Peter Martin Kwaiken.

52100, triple tempered, triple quenched, with a beautiful hamon...Cord wrapped with Japanese inspired knots, dipped, with Aligator leather beneath. This ones a keeper:thumbup:

E3D1287C-D237-48C7-81BF-2DED32581CAA_zpsqx3cbudq.jpg

CF75EA57-64E0-44F8-BCB4-66C799ACE8BE_zps1eigb4e9.jpg

371E0F0C-2BCA-4F42-A8F1-7E98A388E483_zpsj3smbpnz.jpg

That kwaiken is beautiful!

I think that's a record for this thread:D

I think the 'Zaan would look awesome with that finish. I've considered giving mine the "oxyclean finish", aka "nuked".

By the way, how have those Rocky's been treatin' ya???

Yah, I think the 'Zaan is next :D After that, I need to make the denim strop for the Rocksteads.

Speaking of which...I couldn't be happier with them (though I've really only been carrying the ZDP-189 version). It's just a superb knife, no doubt about it. I honestly thought I'd feel a bit of a let down, that I'd bought into the hype a bit and would have to come down to earth, so to speak (maybe even a bit hard). However, I didn't find this to be the case - it's an absolutely excellent knife, end stop (no real qualifiers or regrets attached). I'm hooked and will likely get another at some point (Chi? Shun? Higo X-IW?). Rocksteads and Bing's knives are my new favorites.

Most Excellent, my friend!! You did a great job. And I appreciate the shout out - thank you. This is probably the one you were talking about - I love it (and kept the blue... for now):

Thanks Derek - though, I must say, I've still got some work to do to get mine up to your standard - wow! what a job you did :thumbup:

Last edited:

wow I love how those Sebenzas turned out - now I might just have to do this to one of mine.

Did you guys temporarily reassemble the knife (without the blade) and use a wooden block to keep the lock bar flush with the rest of the scale?

Derek - might ping you later for the exact steps.

Yah, I think the 'Zaan is next :D After that, I need to make the denim strop for the Rocksteads.

Speaking of which...I couldn't be happier with them (though I've really only been carrying the ZDP-189 version). It's just a superb knife, no doubt about it. I honestly thought I'd feel a bit of a let down, that I'd bought into the hype a bit and would have to come down to earth, so to speak (maybe even a bit hard). However, I didn't find this to be the case - it's an absolutely excellent knife, end stop (no real qualifiers or regrets attached). I'm hooked and will likely get another at some point (Chi? Shun? Higo X-IW?). Rocksteads and Bing's knives are my new favorites.

That's great to hear the Rocky's met your expectations. Ever heard the saying "A man's man"? I think a Rockstead could be called "A knife-guy's knife":D

I have yet to experience Bing's work, but will do so eventually. Right now I'm hoping to work out a nice folder design with Peter Martin. His shop is only about an hour away from where I live, and he attends a local Wisconsin knife show every year. His work is quite nice:)

Heading out to hear some good news that day. Carrying the JG Custom Ranger and Three Rivers Nomad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back