EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Rockin’ the XLC from MBK. First impressions are great, but I think the contact point from the pocket clip meeting the scale can be refined — it’s a steep angle, causing it to catch on material of my pocket making it a chore to clip the knife. The blade is nicely polished, action is spot on, and comfort in hand is similar to the Keen.

1EC10495-D0D9-46F0-B8C6-2EBDAA1BD4F0.jpeg

Carrying a new-to-me Reate/Drop Prism today, and this knife is now my personal benchmark for smoothness. I have no idea what fell sorcery Reate worked to coax this action out of a blade this light, but wow. :D

Three years ago you couldn't pay me to buy a knife whose handle was full of holes. But the Pena Rhino opened my eyes to how fun that design feature could be in the right knife, which made me take another look at the Prism -- the "Oops, All Holes!" of knives. ;)

Tashi Bharucha's design requires tight tolerances, and I'm learning that Reate excels in that area. What a great little knife!

lQifr9q.jpg

20200207_110112.jpg
Friday... its Friday.. so glad its Friday. Here's Friday's carry. Super easy day today. Hell week is over. Have a easy day at my bestfriends house forming up the driveway slab. Gonna pour it next weekend. But I'm taking this weekend off. Hopefully I can do coffee and knives with @WValtakis again Saturday. Really enjoy getting together with him. Plus he just finished some engraving on one of him knives I'm dying to see IRL.

I’ve had an OTF on my pocket pretty much every day this year to give them a go...and I still will this afternoon. But thought I better give the Maxamet some love if I’m ever going to have a chance at needing to sharpen it...someday. :)

5KIEnUMl.jpg

He makes great knives, doesn't he.
I'm very pleased with the two I own. They have a different feel than my Shiros or Chebs, more of a handmade vibe and perhaps somewhat less refined, but they're excellent knives, have their own niche, and are a great value at their price-points. My two came very sharp in S125V and S90V. Biryukov's workshop is in Pavlovo, Nizhny Novgorod Oblast--the same town as Alexandr Cheburkov's--which is known for metal work.

Not carrying this Biryukov today, though...

1EsmDLi.jpg

...nor my Sigma by Andrey, either.

H1t0X59.jpg

I've got a nasty little weather cut on my thumb that I don't want to worsen and am swearing off framelocks for a few days, so I've got my Tabargan with me working back and forth between the metal and wood shops. I had to slay a little cardboard earlier cleaning up and, despite its thick stock, its 440C blade performed admirably. That older vintage steel takes a wicked sharp edge and Shiro's heat treats are awesome.

iGnB6v1.jpg

Last edited:
20200207_154934.jpg 20200207_154942.jpg
10 large boxes to kill the edge on the natrix today. I will say the coating has held up really well but the 8c13mov steel gets a huge :thumbsdown: for long term full days use. Finished up the last 15 large boxes with the inkosi and it still has a useable edge. Love the insingo style blade shape just not from less expensive steels.

Back