EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Jl9tzMl.jpg

I was going to spend several hours in the sheetmetal shop today, but ended up only putting in an hour before we went for a walk and then on to the grocery store. Our ramble took us up to Fort Hill and past the centuries-old sharpening rock that has been moved to the top of the bluff from its earlier location down in the salt marsh. I had my CF Stryker with me today and posed the modern folder on the ancient sharpener.

LNLUW12.jpg

RGvRYjp.jpg

Here you can see those areas worn smooth from honing and the grooves cut from repetitive longitudinal edging.

bK5oU3Z.jpg

SorONOr.jpg

A view out to the Atlantic with a cargo ship heading south on the horizon. You can see a new break in the barrier beach on the left. These tend to open and close in this area depending on tide, wind, and currents.

GPPnSen.jpg

Toward the North a view of the Coast Guard Lifesaving Station at that end of Nauset Marsh.

IIcYbI2.jpg

Toward the South you can just barely make out the treacherous Nauset Inlet. In earlier times the barrier beach was broader with tall dunes and the now shallow and shoal-ridden inlet was navigable to the extent that Champlain sailed through and anchored in the protected waters of Nauset Harbor.

AWcs5yJ.jpg
"My hass is out." ©

Back