EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

It was a beautiful February day here on Cape with the sun shining, a bright blue cloudless sky, and temps in the mid-to-upper 40's. I decided to run errands instead of working in the shop as I needed supplies from Hyannis for the gutter project, ordered some fasteners, picked up a part from the hardware store, got my scrip from the pharmacy, bought a new two-handset landline, and stopped by the cemetery and monument workshop to arrange engraving on my parents' stone. It was nice not to be in work clothes and a perfect day for the Doctor's first real trip out and about, though she's certainly not lacked for attention since I got her.

GrXFykV.jpg

ZfbtCvW.jpg

It was a beautiful February day here on Cape with the sun shining, a bright blue cloudless sky, and temps in the mid-to-upper 40's. I decided to run errands instead of working in the shop as I needed supplies from Hyannis for the gutter project, ordered some fasteners, picked up a part from the hardware store, got my scrip from the pharmacy, bought a new two-handset landline, and stopped by the cemetery and monument workshop to arrange engraving on my parents' stone. It was nice not to be in work clothes and a perfect day for the Doctor's first real trip out and about, though she's certainly not lacked for attention since I got her.

GrXFykV.jpg

ZfbtCvW.jpg

Man, that thing is awesome!

Hey Edge is that have the 8ct13mov steel? I have the blue g-10 and carbon fiber inlay Natrix version. With the 8cr13mov steel. It's nice but it didn't survive a full day at work. Killed the edge half way throw the day. I'll put a KME edge on it this weekend and give it a second chance. The factory edge wasn't what I considered acceptable.

That is my latest bareknuckle variation i picked up off the exchange in 14c28n. I think its the best folder Kershaw has out right now imo. I also have the original gray version as well as the 20cv exclusive. I do own a copper natrix which is a Cool little knife as well as some knives in 8cr. Its ok for budget steel just needs more sharpening maintenance but takes a keen edge. Maybe you could sharpen your natrix at a more acute angle for a bump in edge retention? Either way that KME will produce a mucher nicer one than the factory thats for sure!

I've enjoyed Kizer's Vanguard line, so I thought I'd give their Tangram line a try with the rather odd Rumble. For $34 this sucker is pretty impressive: nested skeletonized liners, bearings, nice action and overall fit and finish, good ergos, okay clip. The nested liners in particular I associate with knives like the PM2 and Millie, which greatly exceed the Rumble's price point.

The compromise, of course, is the steel: Acuto 440. But even there, it's not an alphabet steel; that's not too shabby for the money. The harpoon recurve tanto blade is a love it/hate it thing; I'm tickled by it. ;):D

75eeXt1.jpg

Was carrying a Spyderco Amalgam for a couple of weeks and just swapped it out for a Spyderco Tropen.

It's design and purpose is largely misunderstood but is made clear when you understand that it is a fighting knife.

The SD features include the 4" upswept blade (designed more for slicing than stabbing, although it can clearly be used for both), the swale in the spine (that has both defensive and offensive uses), the flipper and Emerson tabs and tip up carry (which enable quick blade deployment) and very comfortably designed polished G10 scales that look like old school micarta (which makes holding the knife in a hammer or backhanded grip very comfortable).You can also quickly open the blade w/a flick of the wrist by simply releasing and re-engaging the compression lock in a timed action, as you can with all other Spyderco knives w/a compression lock.

Critics of the knife complain about the 1/2" of exposed edge of the blade when closed in the compression lock cutout on the clip side of the knife BUT I have never even come close to cutting myself on this edge. So, it has never been an issue to me.

Just one of many Spyderco fighting knives that I own but definitely one of my favorites.

spyderco-tropen-folding-knife-c2737g-pocket-knife-edc-knife-carry-knives-5.jpg

Back