EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Anso orso again. Don't mind the dirty blade she's a user not a safe queen.

U9rz0V8.jpg

Nice XM! Looks like a spearpoint? ive been considering a regrind on my gen 4 slicer since its quite thick BTE but cant decide on a grit finish. Do you know what yours is and the BTE now? Was thinking of doing a hollow grind, maybe a compound grind and leave the tip thick.
Thanks. This used to be a Spanto (Gen5). I have two Krein regrinds now, the other is a skinner, both hollow and very sharp/slicey. Wouldnt know how to measure BTE correctly, sorry - old fashioned hand sharpener / user here. This one kind of behaves like a Spyderco GB1 if that helps.
Here's my XM24 reground by Josh @razor-edge-knives . This one used to be a Spanto so there was no doubt quite the pile of S35VN particulate left when he was done taking this down to a 600 grit large radius hollow grind. I've often described that process as taking this blade from sharpened pry bar to light saber with one of Josh's scary sharp edge bevels as the coup-de-grace.

For measuring thickness behind the edge, I find the easiest method is to lock the caliper to a preset measurement and fit it to the edge, re-setting and re-locking until the jaws are an exact fit at the intersection of the primary and secondary grinds. My Shirogorov hedgehog tool has three gauges set at .3, .4, and .5 mm which give me good starting points for checking with the digital caliper. The .3 seemed good along the straight run of cutting edge while .4 seemed just about right from mid-belly forward. I set the caliper to each of those metrics and it was a good fit in both locations. Using the set button to convert mm to inches gave me the .012" you see in the pic.

xMS0rVp.jpg

As often happens, others' posts will lead me to a next day's carry, and this big boy makes for a good companion on Monster Monday. I've gone back to file photos here as lighting and the reflectivity of this beautiful blade require more patience than I'm feeling right now to get nice pics.

nLjI37z.jpg

K6dyMHP.jpg

Last edited:
Back