EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

5747-CF94-4613-4-CFB-872-A-39-A272724-B12.jpg

Evening update. After getting back from the above posted hike and grubbing out on some carnitas from my favorite spot, I enjoyed some fresh figs for desert along with my after dinner whiskey and tea on the back porch (Sam Cooke's "Summertime" playing in the background). Carrying the Bugout throughout

dbRdaBs.jpg

Awesome!! I'd love to have one, check out million dollar bogan on YouTube. He rides one across Australia for charity. That's one tuff little bike!

Thanks for that, those vids (watched part 1 & 2) were excellent:thumbsup: There's also a couple of guys in a 1,000 + mile Baja video where they hammer on their Monkey bikes something fierce. Like an old Timex, they take a lickin and keep on tickin;)

Vintage SAK Spartan and a favorite Case 62032 Jack today:thumbsup:
GB6uhc.jpg

I really like your Spartan Harsey too--it's been on my want list for some time, but I've not quite found the one to get me to pull the trigger. Is that an earlier model Oculus? I find most of the decorated Harsey's too busy for my taste and the current Oculus just has too much going on for me. I like that yours has one main image with plenty of unadorned space for contrast. Actually, the model that I've almost bought a couple times is the plain Jane stonewashed version.

How would you compare your knife to a large CRK?

Every year they do several special editions with unique graphics for that year. This one was called “Shield” and was made in 2016.

It is definitely an overbuilt knife. Lockup is rock solid and it deploys well with the thumb stud. Although the outside of the scales are chamfered the insides are not (kinda reminds me of the deployment hole on a Taiwanese made Spyderco - it’s straight cut and can be a little sharp). Ergonomically your hand locks into the handle, but the sharp internal edges and similar aggressive / sharp jimping makes it not the most comfortable knife in hand.

Compared to a large Sebenza / Inkosi it is longer, wider and heavier. I don’t do much in the way of slicing with my knives. More cutting bands, opening hardware pacs and boxes (so I can’t speak to the slicyness of the Harsey). It did come very sharp from the factory, but just based on feel and visual observation it is much thicker behind the edge than either CRK. Having the three sitting side by side you notice that the CRK’s have more refinement (specifically the internal chamfering on the scales) and this makes for a more comfortable handling knife. However if you work in gloves a lot, the Harsey would probably create a more secure grip.

9C5217CB-245D-4A76-81A5-370B8F2C89C8.jpeg B0278A7D-C3D2-4703-9864-F23117FC5D03.jpeg

2:35am pic. Cell phone/cgm woke me up with a low blood sugar alert. Sunday night, after having given up a long time ago, I decided to break out the Spyderco sharpmaker. And this time, I actually did well as I decided to try my hand at S35VN. I have better hand control now, and I'm happy with the edge on my Southern Grind Spider Monkey. I only have the standard stones, and it worked well enough for me. In truth, now that the tremors are long gone, I may try out free hand sharpening.

It's been a few years since I actually carried it, what with it being dull combined with the health issues I've had the last few years. So I'm going to carry it today!

13ysSvE.jpg

Last edited:
Back