EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Mayo Monday!

gWwEroNh.jpg

gWwEroNh.jpg

With the switch to AUS-10 I've been reconsidering some Cold Steel knives I've owned in the past, including one of today's carries, the Rajah III. (The other is a Freeman 451; the coin is a 1967 English half-penny.)

I still wish CS would make a line-wide switch to a flat plunge line to eliminate the ugly unsharpened blade heel, but that's my only quibble. I'd forgotten how much the RIII is like an Emerson Mini Commander, but at 1/3 the price -- and how much I like the handle ergos and the knife overall. :)

Jury's still out on whether or not I'll sand the clip's contact point flat, but having recently done it on one of my XL Voyagers I know it's a trivial, 5-minute job.

9bRI1he.jpg

Your photos of this knife are likely going to push me into another acquisition! It looks great. How is it as a user? I don't have any liner locks - does that work well in terms of being secure and solid/no play?

I appreciate it as a user. The damasteel came razor sharp and is holding its edge nicely. I’m using it to break down boxes, cut string, open mail etc. Just normal knife use - it’s very “slicey”. I personally don’t intend to use it for “heavy“ use, although I have no doubt it could handle it. The liner lock is secure and solid. There is a tiny bit of flex, I wouldn’t call it blade play. One thing to be aware of is that the copper scales add weight. It’s not ridiculous, but it is noticeable when comparing to Knives of similar size. If weight is a dealbreaker this Knife isn’t for you. Some complain about the metallic smell of copper. This knife (as do my copper lights) have a metallic smell but it doesn’t linger on my hands after use, and you have to put the scales to your nose to smell it. Non-issue as far as I’m concerned. I’ve really been digging it - function art is how I describe it.​

As for today, I changed it up a bit with a pair of LionSteel knives.
  1. FaDr0jn.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, I changed up knives after washing off my morning sweat and changing clothes to run errands. It's hot and crowded out there today in our little Cape Cod world so I was glad to get home and shoot some pics of my second Micarta Monday carry in the cooler shade of our back yard.

WVxa5ew.jpg

s7n09eP.jpg

I appreciate it as a user. The damasteel came razor sharp and is holding its edge nicely. I’m using it to break down boxes, cut string, open mail etc. Just normal knife use - it’s very “slicey”. I personally don’t intend to use it for “heavy“ use, although I have no doubt it could handle it. The liner lock is secure and solid. There is a tiny bit of flex, I wouldn’t call it blade play. One thing to be aware of is that the copper scales add weight. It’s not ridiculous, but it is noticeable when comparing to Knives of similar size. If weight is a dealbreaker this Knife isn’t for you. Some complain about the metallic smell of copper. This knife (as do my copper lights) have a metallic smell but it doesn’t linger on my hands after use, and you have to put the scales to your nose to smell it. Non-issue as far as I’m concerned. I’ve really been digging it - function art is how I describe it.​

As for today, I changed it up a bit with a pair of LionSteel knives.
  1. FaDr0jn.jpg
Thanks - it's now firmly on the WTB list.

PS: Where should I invoice you? ;)

It's already hot here on Cape today and will get up in the 90's again after a few days in the 80's, so I headed over to turn on the AC in our little gym early as well as dumping the dehumidifier bucket in the woodshop below. I stuck this little guy in my light shorts pocket and will stick with it at least until after my workout when I shower and dress to head out for some errands today. This isn't the lightest of my smaller knives, but not heavy either and wire clips are easy in and out of pockets that don't offer much resistance. This gives me a good start on Micarta Monday too. :)

9f0gwRf.jpg

LyG3cyu.jpg
Your lanyards always look superb - kind of a relaxed style which I like. What kind of knot is this one? Thanks

Still enjoying the Inkosingo that hasn’t left my pocket since it arrived. The mailman thanked me for meeting him outside recently. He said he saw a snake near the front door and he was still thinking about it! Lol We have quite a few “pet” racers patrolling the grounds.

It was also #blackknivesmatter Monday mail call. Good offset to a tough day.

D9uXQVz.jpg

biPaKoy.jpg

Back