EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

RGMHIOH.jpg

Ah, a fob......and, I um, did burn my ends - but seems not enough!

IMO the inner cords and the outer shell should be fused into one melted end. If I'm leaving loose tails I usually set my ends on fire and let them bubble for a few seconds before putting them out.

Sometimes trimming close to the knot and then melting them looks good too, hiding the ends entirely. Sometimes I leave two distinct ends, like you have. Just depends on the knife and what feels right. :)

It's going to be hard to carry any other knife ever again.....

View attachment 1441252
View attachment 1441253

I thought very long and hard about ordering from the last batch offering.... I've just spent way too much on knives lately... now you're making me wish I had just impulse ordered one anyway lol. Wife can wait for her new master bathroom.. "...but babe look at this knife!" ...

How did you make the coping blade of the eureka look as good as that? Also an intersting hinderer. I haven't seen this one so far, could you tell which model?

That warnie blade looks nice with that patina, please let me in on how you did that. Great work!

Thanks friends!

The Hinderer is the Full Track, a fairly recent model but to my understanding it is no longer in production.

As for the patina, on both of my GEC's I decided to go with natural patina on the main blade and forced on the smaller blade. IIRC I used a combination of brown mustard and touch of apple cider vinegar. I mixed it up in a small bowl, then applied it with a toothpick in that random drop pattern. Let it rest for 20-30 minutes, and then cleaned it off and repeated the process to add depth. This was the first time I tried anything like this but I was quite pleased with the results. There are some good youtube tutorials out there with varying methods, and I pretty much just watched a bunch of them for tips. There's a good one where a guy does a similar pattern on a Opinel which gave me the idea.

IOeMz9E.jpg

cMfoDon.jpg

August 2020, Buck Web Special 110 with brass Ebony, and S30V in a Black Buck "Distressed Leather sheath on my belt. (sanded bolsters to quickly cure a severe case of fingerprint smudge magnetitis)
(BTI) Old Timer 23OT Four Blade Scout/Camp/Utility knife on a 32 inch SAK chain Lanyard.
SAK "Signature" for a "Gentleman's Knife" (I make no claim of being a "gentleman"... I'm quite the opposite, in fact...)
Rough Ryder RR1740 "Classic Carbon" (large, 4.250 inch closed) Stockman.
These should cover any and all knife tasks that come up for at least the rest of the month. :D

View attachment 1441268
(If I need a heavier/super duty four blade Scout/Camp/Utility knife, I'll swap the 23OT out for my Marbles MR278 "Demo" knife. :) )

Last edited:
Back