EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Part of Friday’s carry New arrival Tony Bose Case collaboration Lannys Clip.
Smooth Ebony and 154cm blade steel :thumbsup:
Her name is Precious)
zKQfEMF.jpg

The rest of the Friday gang :D
qDFgrRE.jpg

Non-Threatening Thursday. Crappy pic due to subpar lighting, deal with it.

krVPEzf.jpg

I already have tomorrow's carry picked out, A Purvis Progeny V2 for CF Friday. I'll get a pic in the morning with my dad's (new to him) boat. It's nothing fancy, but fully set up for fishing. 1987 Lund, 18', 2008 Evinrude E-tec 40 hp tiller outboard. Bought from a recent widow. My dad sold his Ranger 10 years ago, but now that he has grandkids, and they are in a subdivision that have river rights, a new boat was required. It's been a long time since I was on a boat. Probably 5 years, so I'm excited, especially for my nephew's. I have fond memories of fishing the chain o'lakes with my dad as a little kid.

Nina Klotzli very kindly replied to both my emails regarding the clip screws but really didn't provide useful information about the drivers needed. They really don't want owners taking apart their knives so they and have deliberately used (and loc-tited) unusual fasteners to discourage having re-assembled and poorly tuned knives in circulation that don't meet their standards. :rolleyes:. She said they employed (but didn't identify) more common screws with the SBG, apart from those for the clip. I quote--"I didnt know the Bristol head, but from what I can see on the internet, this is not the correct head. It really is a «Spline» with a 1/72 thread. We are using these because a lot of the American knife makers that my dad worked with used these. But the matching screw drivers are really hard to find, that is true." T tiguy7 , is there another type of Spline Head screw?

I like the knife, took it to work today, and made good use of it paring some notches and cleaning up biscuit-joiner slot tear-outs, but this thing with unnecessarily weird screws and the proprietary attitude is annoying.

Q8DpkOj.jpg

5ymbbDx.jpg
The clip screws on your photo look like they have TORX recesses. The main reason to be able to remove a clip is to be able to correct the tension if the clip gets sprung. Can you take a close up pic of the clip screw head?

Nina Klotzli very kindly replied to both my emails regarding the clip screws but really didn't provide useful information about the drivers needed. They really don't want owners taking apart their knives so they and have deliberately used (and loc-tited) unusual fasteners to discourage having re-assembled and poorly tuned knives in circulation that don't meet their standards. :rolleyes:. She said they employed (but didn't identify) more common screws with the SBG, apart from those for the clip. I quote--"I didnt know the Bristol head, but from what I can see on the internet, this is not the correct head. It really is a «Spline» with a 1/72 thread. We are using these because a lot of the American knife makers that my dad worked with used these. But the matching screw drivers are really hard to find, that is true." T tiguy7 , is there another type of Spline Head screw?

I like the knife, took it to work today, and made good use of it paring some notches and cleaning up biscuit-joiner slot tear-outs, but this thing with unnecessarily weird screws and the proprietary attitude is annoying.

Q8DpkOj.jpg

5ymbbDx.jpg
re-drill and re-tap!

re-drill and re-tap!
I appreciate the suggestion, but @Barman1 has generously offered to send along replacement screws with the matching thread as he has a dozen or so with T6 heads. There's also likely little chance that I'd ever need to take the clip off. This is just me obsessing over needlessly hard to match screw heads and not knowing what they are. :confused:

The clip screws on your photo look like they have TORX recesses. The main reason to be able to remove a clip is to be able to correct the tension if the clip gets sprung. Can you take a close up pic of the clip screw head?
They're definitely not Torx, as none of my Torx or Torx-plus drivers fit. They're so tiny that they're hard to see even under magnification, but they do seem to resemble Bristol screws. I'll see if I can get a decent close-up later and have been thinking about taking you up on your earlier offer, taking one out with my M2 pliers and sending it along. As I wrote to T tgtodd minutes ago, this is just me obsessing over something I have no real need to know or do. :rolleyes:

Got home from dinner about 15 minutes before my wife (in 2 separate cars tonight) and had the brilliant idea of lighting up the garden table. Lasted all of about 6 minutes before I realized that 80 degree evenings and fire tables don’t pair all that well together.

My second revelation was that fire and knives (together) aren’t nearly as easy to photograph as some folks here have made it look.

And lastly....I’d have bet the farm that today was Friday.

Anyway, small Sebenza for my Thursday “that felt like Friday” evening carry....

HbiXcj4.jpg
xetf9Fs.jpg

Everytime I see the inlays on this 31, I feel like you won the lottery. :cool:

Pocketed these two for this rainy friday.
The GEC Stag Toothpick just showed up yesterday and boy oh boy did I get hooked up off the exchange. :) Matching stag covers with a lot of character and “nubs & grooves.” Brass liners and centered blade with great W&T. I’m not generally a fan of stag, because it isn’t symmetrical (OCD here as well @Zeroedin ), but I lucked out with this one.
A96F0B92-45CF-489D-90B0-DB32B75FE623.jpeg

ETA: Using the stag today...
DDE8AF36-0D93-430D-B1DD-A65179DE6492.jpeg

PS: Did I mention the GEC toothpick has no half stop? What a beauty. :)

Last edited:
Back