EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

20210709-194150.jpg

Greetings BladeFiends! I’m posting for yesterday, as when I got home in the evening I preferred to scarf down some good food, enjoy a beverage, and rest my aging knees. I went on a little walk in the woods yesterday. It ended up being about an 11-12 mile hike, gaining about 3,500 ft up to an elevation of just under 5,600 ft. This hike has a nice Alpine lake about halfway up, and what I really love about it is that there is a set of old boot paths that you can take off the main trail and pretty much have the place to yourself. It’s alot steeper and more technical than the main trail, but alot more fun as well, and the experience can’t be beat. The trail up (could almost be described as less of a trail and more of a chute that you have to claw your way up) first climbs steeply through the forest and then comes to a really cool boulder field that you have to climb/cross. Then you get to the lake to cool off a bit before heading up to the peak above. After that you can head back down to the lake for another dip, before finally following the other old trail that hugs the creek and waterfalls coming off the lake to get back down. Makes for a long, but extremely fun day!

Up through the forest. It’s much steeper in person than it comes across in pics. Time to bust out the Jurassic and fashion myself some walking sticks.

i3yP3Ml.jpg

Now for the fun part, crossing this. People I have brought here find this part daunting when they see it, but it’s really just a matter of stepping/climbing from one rock to the next. This is the part that makes the trail for me.

BXjBTDw.jpg

Kjv4Our.jpg

The view back down after I’ve made it. I might or might not have hollered “Riiii-CO-LA!” at this point.

WQP1UHc.jpg

Up at the lake. Cool off, hydrate, and on to the real hike up to the peak above.

g6salLM.jpg

y4sB2eF.jpg

JAPUNA6.jpg

After climbing through some more forest and getting above the tree line you are welcomed to
wildflowers in full bloom and stunning views of Rainier staring you in the face.

5HKeVXD.jpg

pjgPISn.jpg

4eO9o9r.jpg

Eventually the path takes a turn, and it’s time to make your way straight up to the peak. Here you are met with breathtaking 360 views of the surrounding mountains. If you look, you can see that lake below (on the right) that I was at just a couple of hours ago.

RyrhsKS.jpg

NqmtbKC.jpg

qTkOgh1.jpg

After soaking in the views for a bit, it was time to head back down to the lake for another cool down.

7sqL8AL.jpg

PWkppyH.jpg

Finally, you take the other boot path that follows the creek running off of the lake back down. This area is shaded by the canopy, has multiple creek crossings, and is covered in lush green moss. The cool air makes for the perfect ending to a long hot hike. It’s like walking through an enchanted forest. Take that until it meets the main trail at the big waterfall, then you’re just a short mile or so back to the ride to head home. Where whiskey awaits!

jS86hyO.jpg

2gWZv5e.jpg

AKeDnuP.jpg

HoDesJw.jpg

Today’s carry and late night movie/Dinner tag along .
I just realized my ZT 0230 serial # is 0258 and my 0762 is serial # 0259 🤭 what are the odds of that. I was admiring the low serial # when I saw it👍🏻
Might have to play the lotto today lol.

H552pNi.jpg

Greetings BladeFiends! I’m posting for yesterday, as when I got home in the evening I preferred to scarf down some good food, enjoy a beverage, and rest my aging knees. I went on a little walk in the woods yesterday. It ended up being about an 11-12 mile hike, gaining about 3,500 ft up to an elevation of just under 5,600 ft. This hike has a nice Alpine lake about halfway up, and what I really love about it is that there is a set of old boot paths that you can take off the main trail and pretty much have the place to yourself. It’s alot steeper and more technical than the main trail, but alot more fun as well, and the experience can’t be beat. The trail up (could almost be described as less of a trail and more of a chute that you have to claw your way up) first climbs steeply through the forest and then comes to a really cool boulder field that you have to climb/cross. Then you get to the lake to cool off a bit before heading up to the peak above. After that you can head back down to the lake for another dip, before finally following the other old trail that hugs the creek and waterfalls coming off the lake to get back down. Makes for a long, but extremely fun day!

Up through the forest. It’s much steeper in person than it comes across in pics. Time to bust out the Jurassic and fashion myself some walking sticks.

i3yP3Ml.jpg

Now for the fun part, crossing this. People I have brought here find this part daunting when they see it, but it’s really just a matter of stepping/climbing from one rock to the next. This is the part that makes the trail for me.

BXjBTDw.jpg

Kjv4Our.jpg

The view back down after I’ve made it. I might or might not have hollered “Riiii-CO-LA!” at this point.

WQP1UHc.jpg

Up at the lake. Cool off, hydrate, and on to the real hike up to the peak above.

g6salLM.jpg

y4sB2eF.jpg

JAPUNA6.jpg

After climbing through some more forest and getting above the tree line you are welcomed to
wildflowers in full bloom and stunning views of Rainier staring you in the face.

5HKeVXD.jpg

pjgPISn.jpg

4eO9o9r.jpg

Eventually the path takes a turn, and it’s time to make your way straight up to the peak. Here you are met with breathtaking 360 views of the surrounding mountains. If you look, you can see that lake below (on the right) that I was at just a couple of hours ago.

RyrhsKS.jpg

NqmtbKC.jpg

qTkOgh1.jpg

After soaking in the views for a bit, it was time to head back down to the lake for another cool down.

7sqL8AL.jpg

PWkppyH.jpg

Finally, you take the other boot path that follows the creek running off of the lake back down. This area is shaded by the canopy, has multiple creek crossings, and is covered in lush green moss. The cool air makes for the perfect ending to a long hot hike. It’s like walking through an enchanted forest. Take that until it meets the main trail at the big waterfall, then you’re just a short mile or so back to the ride to head home. Where whiskey awaits!

jS86hyO.jpg

2gWZv5e.jpg

AKeDnuP.jpg

HoDesJw.jpg

Looks like a world-class experience. Outstanding post; absolutely gorgeous scenery and views captured beautifully in pics and narrative. I truly enjoyed it.

Ya’ ever get homesick for Florida let me know, maybe we can work out some sort of home-swap for a week or two, lol.

Of course, I get gassed just walking to my mailbox and back and I wouldn’t last a minute on that hike; so I’m not sure who I’m trying to kid here. Just keep those pics and posts coming and I’ll enjoy them vicariously from the comfort of my couch.

Ya’ ever get homesick for Florida let me know, maybe we can work out some sort of home-swap for a week or two, lol.
HAHA! 🤣 Yea, I get homesick. Problem is that's when the days start to get short, sun sets at 4:30, sun goes into hiding for that matter, and temps in the mountains get WAY to cold for this Florida boy ;). That's when I REALLY long for home. Hopefully one day, after the kids are off, I can start spending Thanksgiving through Easter back there kayaking and beaching it up, then spend the sunny summers back here in the mountain streams.

The friendships and comradery in this thread is actually why I continue posting here. You folks are great! Keep it up. 😎

What I have to show off...and carry this afternoon is an absolute beauty from the mind of Bailey Knives Bailey Knives
He took my request to heart and forged out an absolutely exquisite blade. The Koa scales I chose myself and am very excited with the way Matt made the tiger stripes pop. I am overly happy, and looking forward to my next Bailey piece.
I tried to get a good picture, but am going to have to post his photos, as he has captured what it looks like in real life better than I. I hope you don’t mind Matt.
8F9A11CD-2C5A-4422-9729-8FB2A075C875.jpeg09BF2026-DC07-4664-AED9-C052C69E913E.jpeg4252DA54-5948-42D2-ABCB-7A447482FFD1.jpeg
Thank you again, Matt...I am just thrilled.

I hope you all enjoy! Thanks for letting me be part of the EDC thread family!

The friendships and comradery in this thread is actually why I continue posting here. You folks are great! Keep it up. 😎

What I have to show off...and carry this afternoon is an absolute beauty from the mind of Bailey Knives Bailey Knives
He took my request to heart and forged out an absolutely exquisite blade. The Koa scales I chose myself and am very excited with the way Matt made the tiger stripes pop. I am overly happy, and looking forward to my next Bailey piece.
I tried to get a good picture, but am going to have to post his photos, as he has captured what it looks like in real life better than I. I hope you don’t mind Matt.
View attachment 1597980View attachment 1597981View attachment 1597982
Thank you again, Matt...I am just thrilled.

I hope you all enjoy! Thanks for letting me be part of the EDC thread family!
I love the Koa, but it’s that hamon that’s really making me drool. I’d be proud to own that piece.

I love the Koa, but it’s that hamon that’s really making me drool. I’d be proud to own that piece.
Oh totally!! That’s what drew me to Matt’s knives. Overly proud over here...just speechless.

Thank you for the kind words. ☺️

Last edited:
I posted a few file pics in Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley 's interesting new thread this morning, a couple including this knife, so it seemed only natural to make this a Spartan Saturday with my PJ Harsey Folder. This is absolutely one of the very smoothest knives I've ever handled, getting an A+ for fidget factor, and is a real joy to carry and use. One solid work knife, this one.

HZ71pYD.jpg

DnMj0nE.jpg

Back