EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Greetings! Just back from my camping trip this evening, so posting for the whole week. For those of you that saw the vid I posted before I left, we had a sweet little camp site right on the creek. Parts of this area can get pretty popular in hot weather, but luckily I scoped out the ideal spot that was completely secluded, and there are also plenty of trails in the area where you can get well past the spots that any of the crowds go.

My primary folders were the Jurassic while in camp, and the Manix LW while hiking. Also on my person was an LT Wright fixed blade, SAK rambler, SE Dragonfly, Swisstool, and Surefire Aviator. The Case Copperhead went in my pocket for comfort while around the camp as well, but not on the long sweaty hikes. Around camp I kept a Benchmade 162 (mostly just used it to carve up some lighter knot), and a couple of Moras for food prep. A few others for no good reason as well.

We decided (my son and I, not the rest of the family) to go on a 10+ mile hike up to an Alpine Lake (Melakwa Lake) that sits up around 4,600ft. There are also plenty of water crossings and a beautiful set of waterfalls (Keekwulee Falls) to explore along the way.

ZMx951v.jpg

zeMxCeL.jpg

Up at the lakes. Spent a couple of hours exploring around, relaxing on the rocks, and of course taking a dip or two.

Lgl0p1a.jpg

tu5rtSr.jpg

pG0lu1P.jpg

Upper Lake
oZpB492.jpg

Back at camp

o9L33XR.jpg

mWkbaAp.jpg

With various fire bans in effect around the state at the moment, we weren’t sure if we’d be able to have a fire, so I had to prep meals that could be made on the propane stove. A few packages of beef tips, a package of beef broth, some broccoli, topped off with some wild rice in the mix makes for a pretty decent beef stew for camping. Beats the hell out of canned or dehydrated anyway.

ohVwzMN.jpg

Of course gotta have some figs and a wee dram for dessert.

CLab9aI.jpg

In the end we were able to have fire. In fact, we got in right before a new ban went into effect for this campground.

Campfire popcorn can be a bit of a workout, but somehow I think it makes it taste better.

vICrmQ7.jpg

CXG9ORG.jpg

Some shots of the creek at the back of our campsite. Absolutely perfect!

6Fs82cL.jpg

AmoOoXW.jpg

x71V4z2.jpg

These two didn’t see much use, but while relaxing I decided to snap a few pics anyhow.

01kGSu9.jpg

Y0qbULm.jpg

On the last day here, I always like to wake up early and hike the Nearby Franklin Falls Trail. This is a pretty cool waterfall, but the trail is more like a glorified nature walk, so on most days it fills up pretty quickly, to the point that it’s usually too annoying to bother. However when I get up early and walk straight from the campsite to the trail I get the place all to myself. It rained at about 4:30AM, and since I ALWAYS leave my rainfly rolled back, I had to get up in a hurry and deploy it. I went back to bed for about a half an hour, but sleep was no use, so I got up, made some coffee and headed off.

r0Z7ysa.jpg

Perhaps it was just the condition my condition was in, but whatever is going on this tree to my eye favors a snake haired, tentacled, Medusa type creature looming over you as you round the bend. I mean, it could be a Halloween decoration.

8emGuFk.jpg

Speaking of my condition 🤪 , I’ll end off with a bit of an embarrassing story.

I was on the way back to camp after my early morning hike to the falls, and I saw a nice spot along the creek that was calling to me. There was a log to sit on, so I sat there for a bit just taking it all in. I moved my phone from my back pocket to one of the side so I wouldn’t be sitting on it.

Eventually I decided to take my Jurassic out and take a pic of it stuck in the log. I did so, snapped a few pics, and got ready to go back and enjoy the rest of the morning around the camp. As soon as I stood up, “KERPLUNK”. It was my phone, it slid right out of that side pocket, and by the time I looked down it was nowhere to be found. Obviously I freaked out a bit inside, but tried to keep my cool, set my stuff down, and after about 5 minutes of searching was able to locate it lodged under a rock just barely down creek. Luckily I’m a Sony guy so it’s waterproof.

Anyhow, all’s well that ends well (so I thought), time to head back to the campsite. I do a pocket check for all my gear, and guess what. NO JURASSIC!! I figured it either fell in the creek along with my phone or I set it down with my stuff while searching for my phone and it blended in too well with the rocky shore. I searched up and down for 15 min, even combed the area like a grid, and searched the water with my flashlight. It seemed like there was no use. Not quite ready to give up, I sit back down on the log to think it over. Well, I look over next to me, and, low and behold, guess what?... There’s my Jurassic...Guess where?...Still stuck right in the log where I was taking the pics of it 🤣🤣🤣😊🤓

It blended in with the surroundings so well that it didn’t even draw my attention in a line of sight where I wasn’t expecting it. Maybe time for some orange paracord for hiking.

Anyhow, sorry for the long winded post and plethora of pics, but if I don’t post them here what the hell else am I going to do with them ;). Hope Y’all are enjoying your weekend friends!

CQwsDzi.jpg

Greetings! Just back from my camping trip this evening, so posting for the whole week. For those of you that saw the vid I posted before I left, we had a sweet little camp site right on the creek. Parts of this area can get pretty popular in hot weather, but luckily I scoped out the ideal spot that was completely secluded, and there are also plenty of trails in the area where you can get well past the spots that any of the crowds go.

My primary folders were the Jurassic while in camp, and the Manix LW while hiking. Also on my person was an LT Wright fixed blade, SAK rambler, SE Dragonfly, Swisstool, and Surefire Aviator. The Case Copperhead went in my pocket for comfort while around the camp as well, but not on the long sweaty hikes. Around camp I kept a Benchmade 162 (mostly just used it to carve up some lighter knot), and a couple of Moras for food prep. A few others for no good reason as well.

We decided (my son and I, not the rest of the family) to go on a 10+ mile hike up to an Alpine Lake (Melakwa Lake) that sits up around 4,600ft. There are also plenty of water crossings and a beautiful set of waterfalls (Keekwulee Falls) to explore along the way.

ZMx951v.jpg

zeMxCeL.jpg

Up at the lakes. Spent a couple of hours exploring around, relaxing on the rocks, and of course taking a dip or two.

Lgl0p1a.jpg

tu5rtSr.jpg

pG0lu1P.jpg

Upper Lake
oZpB492.jpg

Back at camp

o9L33XR.jpg

mWkbaAp.jpg

With various fire bans in effect around the state at the moment, we weren’t sure if we’d be able to have a fire, so I had to prep meals that could be made on the propane stove. A few packages of beef tips, a package of beef broth, some broccoli, topped off with some wild rice in the mix makes for a pretty decent beef stew for camping. Beats the hell out of canned or dehydrated anyway.

ohVwzMN.jpg

CLab9aI.jpg

In the end we were able to have fire. In fact, we got in right before a new ban went into effect for this campground.

Campfire popcorn can be a bit of a workout, but somehow I think it makes it taste better.

vICrmQ7.jpg

CXG9ORG.jpg

6Fs82cL.jpg

AmoOoXW.jpg

x71V4z2.jpg

These two didn’t see much use, but while relaxing I decided to snap a few pics anyhow.

01kGSu9.jpg

Y0qbULm.jpg

On the last day here, I always like to wake up early and hike the Nearby Franklin Falls Trail. This is a pretty cool waterfall, but the trail is more like a glorified nature walk, so on most days it fills up pretty quickly, to the point that it’s usually too annoying to bother. However when I get up early and walk straight from the campsite to the trail I get the place all to myself. It rained at about 4:30AM, and since I ALWAYS leave my rainfly rolled back, I had to get up in a hurry and deploy it. I went back to bed for about a half an hour, but sleep was no use, so I got up, made some coffee and headed off.

r0Z7ysa.jpg

Perhaps it was just the condition my condition was in, but whatever is going on this tree to my eye favors a snake haired, tentacled, Medusa type creature looming over you as you round the bend. I mean, it could be a Halloween decoration.

8emGuFk.jpg

I was on the way back to camp after my early morning hike to the falls, and I saw a nice spot along the creek that was calling to me. There was a log to sit on, so I sat there for a bit just taking it all in. I moved my phone from my back pocket to one of the side so I wouldn’t be sitting on it.

Eventually I decided to take my Jurassic out and take a pic of it stuck in the log. I did so, snapped a few pics, and got ready to go back and enjoy the rest of the morning around the camp. As soon as I stood up, “KERPLUNK”. It was my phone, it slid right out of that side pocket, and by the time I looked down it was nowhere to be found. Obviously I freaked out a bit inside, but tried to keep my cool, set my stuff down, and after about 5 minutes of searching was able to locate it lodged under a rock just barely down creek. Luckily I’m a Sony guy so it’s waterproof.

Anyhow, all’s well that ends well (so I thought), time to head back to the campsite. I do a pocket check for all my gear, and guess what. NO JURASSIC!! I figured it either fell in the creek along with my phone or I set it down with my stuff while searching for my phone and it blended in too well with the rocky shore. I searched up and down for 15 min, even combed the area like a grid, and searched the water with my flashlight. It seemed like there was no use. Not quite ready to give up, I sit back down on the log to think it over. Well, I look over next to me, and, low and behold, guess what?... There’s my Jurassic...Guess where?...Still stuck right in the log where I was taking the pics of it 🤣🤣🤣😊🤓

It blended in with the surroundings so well that it didn’t even draw my attention in a line of sight where I wasn’t expecting it. Maybe time for some orange paracord for hiking.

Anyhow, sorry for the long winded post and plethora of pics, but if I don’t post them here what the hell else am I going to do with them ;). Hope Y’all are enjoying your weekend friends!

CQwsDzi.jpg
We really do live in such a beautiful state. Another great outing my friend!

ZMx951v.jpg

zeMxCeL.jpg

Lgl0p1a.jpg

tu5rtSr.jpg

pG0lu1P.jpg

Upper Lake
oZpB492.jpg

Back at camp

o9L33XR.jpg

mWkbaAp.jpg

ohVwzMN.jpg

CLab9aI.jpg

vICrmQ7.jpg

CXG9ORG.jpg

6Fs82cL.jpg

AmoOoXW.jpg

x71V4z2.jpg

01kGSu9.jpg

Y0qbULm.jpg

r0Z7ysa.jpg

8emGuFk.jpg

CQwsDzi.jpg
Outstanding post.

The Kansbol always surprises me on how well it works.

Back