EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

Today it is what usually occupies my pocket a Schrade 834UH. I have carried a little knife like this or it's carbon blade cousin 50+ years and it is a rare day that it can't handle what I need done. Deer hunting success being the only except that I can remember. They used to be called a Stockman or a Cattleman now I see them referred to as a Rancher, too.

This is the Saturday Puukko being fitted with a front plate in front of the Ebony scabbard.

I make the scabbards from 2 pieces with (7) 1lb rare earth magnets inset into the internal part of the scabbard. The magnets hold the blade snugly to the scabbard. I carry these in my front right pocket and need to make sure the blade doesn’t accidentally come out of the scabbard.

Thirteen Thursday
1WcqtOTh.jpg

Today it is what usually occupies my pocket a Schrade 834UH. I have carried a little knife like this or it's carbon blade cousin 50+ years and it is a rare day that it can't handle what I need done. Deer hunting success being the only except that I can remember. They used to be called a Stockman or a Cattleman now I see them referred to as a Rancher, too.

Schrade's nickname for the 834UH was the trailmaster when it was introduced in 1989, then from 1990 onward it was called rancher. Not much it can't do.

It is a stockman pattern, serpentine to be specific. A cattle knife is slightly different, usually having an equal end handle. Both are very similar functionally and the stockman derived from the cattle knife, so the names get interchanged.

Schrade's nickname for the 834UH was the trailmaster when it was introduced in 1989, then from 1990 onward it was called rancher. Not much it can't do.

It is a stockman pattern, serpentine to be specific. A cattle knife is slightly different, usually having an equal end handle. Both are very similar functionally and the stockman derived from the cattle knife, so the names get interchanged.
Thank you for the information, I do appreciate it! Over the years Schrade was the only knife I carried. Now, say the last decade or so I occasionally have an #6 Opinel or entry level Kershaw pocketed, the reality is the little stockman just about does it all for me.

These are my Pocket Puukkos. I made 6, one for every day of the week. Starting with the white moose antler up top for Sunday

Currently working on a bit longer, bullnose blade for Saturday night

This is amazing, and exactly the kind of crazy shenanigans I'd be up to if I could make knives myself. Awesome work.

Back