EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

More pics of that 940 please :) lol

Okie dokie.

IMG-20191108-175509-695.jpg

It sure got a lot colder all of a sudden today. Not anywhere close to freezing, but damp and blustery with a northwest wind. I brought home the 5 sections of balustrade that I excised from my clients' second floor deck, ran them through the UniSaw to take one of the rails off while missing the screws, wrenched the balusters off the other rail, cut everything up, and brought all the pieces back to the house to feed into the Russian fireplace. On the one hand it's kind of a shame as it beautiful Douglas fir stock, but there's several sections of rot and it needs replacing. On the other hand, it'll keep us warm over the weekend. :D

1hVMT7L.jpg

7s9Mr59.jpg

Woodwork looks great! I did a couple of years framing and was close to becoming a carpenter before switching trades to plumbing. I really enjoyed making things come together. More framing houses than detail work. But I very much enjoyed it.
Thanks, man. I've been bangin' nails for almost 50 years now and have pretty much done it all. I did a lot of framing and had a good crew for many years, but have also done a fair amount of GC work. I built a lot of Capes and ranches starting out and moved into high-end and complicated frames with advanced roof cutting a particular niche. Also have done lots of finish work, cabinetry, and stair building. Between the stairs and rafters I made a lot of my living along the hypotenuse, you might say. Now in my dotage I still take on occasional projects for old trusted clients, building stuff in the woodshop when I can, as well as continuing my architectural sheet metal fabrication work. Been my own boss for a loooong time....

It sure got a lot colder all of a sudden today. Not anywhere close to freezing, but damp and blustery with a northwest wind. I brought home the 5 sections of balustrade that I excised from my clients' second floor deck, ran them through the UniSaw to take one of the rails off while missing the screws, wrenched the balusters off the other rail, cut everything up, and brought all the pieces back to the house to feed into the Russian fireplace. On the one hand it's kind of a shame as it beautiful Douglas fir stock, but there's several sections of rot and it needs replacing. On the other hand, it'll keep us warm over the weekend. :D

1hVMT7L.jpg

7s9Mr59.jpg
I know I’ve said it before but I love that hinderer. Just something about it

I know I’ve said it before but I love that hinderer. Just something about it
I know I've thanked you before too, DC, but I'll thank you again and agree that there is a certain something special about this particular knife. The MP1 is not close to a popular RHK model, but it really caught my eye on the Hinderer pages when it first came out and when I saw one with that mottled, almost bleached-out red linen Micarta I just had to have one for myself. I waited a long time and finally one popped up at DLT and I grabbed it. It also added enough points to get me the sweet South Sister bead that adorns its lanyard.

My appreciation for Hinderers goes to their aesthetics, ergos, awesome construction, and individuality of design as they are very much their own thing. My normal preference is not for thick-bladed, chunky, overbuilt knives but each of my four--XM18 3.5 Dragon with bronze hardware, XM 24 REK re-grind, HalfTrack with textured dockside and copper hardware, along with the MP1--have my favorite RHK stonewash finish and something unique to make each very much my own.

hFntJRn.jpg

NHMEF5i.jpg

obaaxZv.jpg

I'm way off-topic, though, so one more shot of today's carry to bring me back full circle. Gotta love that blade shape too....

CK2Sp0w.jpg

Last edited:
I know I've thanked you before too, DC, but I'll thank you again and agree that there is a certain something special about this particular knife. The MP1 is not close to a popular RHK model, but it really caught my eye on the Hinderer pages when it first came out and when I saw one with that mottled, almost bleached-out red linen Micarta I just had one for myself. I waited a long time and finally one popped up at DLT and I grabbed it. It also added enough points to get me the sweet South Sister bead that adorns its lanyard.

My appreciation for Hinderers goes to their aesthetics, ergos, awesome construction, and individuality of design as they are very much their own thing. My normal preference is not for thick-bladed, chunky, overbuilt knives but each of my four--XM18 3.5 Dragon with bronze hardware, XM 24 REK re-grind, HalfTrack with textured dockside and copper hardware, along with the MP1--have my favorite RHK stonewash finish and something unique to make each very much my own.

hFntJRn.jpg

NHMEF5i.jpg

obaaxZv.jpg

I'm way off-topic, though, so one more shot of today's carry to bring me back full circle. Gotta love that blade shape too....

CK2Sp0w.jpg
I do believe it’s the red of the micarta. My red Inkosi is one of my all time favorites. Just something about it. And red isn’t a favorite color of mine. Maybe bc it’s been around a long time with me or the fading around the grooves or I don’t really know, it just is.
The blade shape is a good one as well. Kinda insingo like to my CRKs. Just a good all around shape. Makes draw cuts easy. I keep a victorinox electrician in my right pocket everyday at work so I’ll always have a sheepsfoot on me even when I’m carrying a drop point.
One day I’m sure I’ll pull the trigger on a RHK. Just been hopelessly waiting for a lefty modelCEDDCB75-F163-4E0D-9D51-8349F0FD3E07.jpeg

Carrying my ZT0630 after making a brass replacement thumb disk.Before blade openings were basically a challenge and basically only deploying 50% of the time. The problem being the heavy ball dent tension that was a real pain for my thumb.

Now,the blade deploys a 100% of the time.My only regret that I have is that I didn't make one sooner.

ehmjqrw.jpg

1z8ZI4I.jpg

EvDcRKY.jpg

GYK5YDF.jpg

Back