"Edge On Up" Sharpness tester question - thank you!

Dear all,

Does anyone here know whether you can use the "edge on up" sharpness tester "fixture" (https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/New-Aluminum-Test-Fixture-P1641.aspx) - I hope it is okay to link to this, I just want to be clear what I am referring to! - on a normal kitchen digital scale? The fixture costs $35, while the cheapest tester costs $129 and the upgraded version $179 (or higher for the premium model). I can't afford the whole set-up, but I could buy the fixture and just use a digital scale we already have at home.

I understand that the numbers would likely be different from the sharpness scale that comes with the whole "edge-on-up" set-up, fixture and scale, but I would think a relative rating would still be useful.

Any advice/experience would be welcome,

Thank you,
Bryson

Hello Bryson,

One of our customers forwarded your question to me so, Mike with Edge On Up here.

It will work - sort of and maybe. Electronic edge testers update the display more frequently and are much faster than normal weigh scales when it comes to sampling. In addition - some electronic weigh scales require that the weight stabilizes for a period of time before yielding an answer. If you can simply tap the weigh platform of your scale and watch the display jump up and back down, then this stabilizing feature is likely not built in your scale. That's a good thing for your purposes.

The next challenge when using an ordinary kitchen scale is this - you'll have to focus on the display intently as you put force down on the test media and remember the highest number displayed because once the test media is severed - the scale display will return to "zero". Edge On Up edge sharpness testers record and hold the greatest force number measured, automatically, on the display.

Having said all that - here's the inside scoop; At the earliest stages of development of our electronic edge testers, we used an ordinary kitchen scale to test the basic concept. We got enough positive information back in those tests to proceed further with the development project.

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your reply! I really do appreciate it and the feedback. I would of course like to be able to purchase the entire, proper set, but I'm living on a small budget.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful reply, I am grateful for and impressed with the service you at Edge On Up provide. Even if I can't ultimately purchase your product because of a lack of budget, your kindness and helpful response has inclined me to recommend you to others, if asked.

Best,
Bryson

There are some old posts on this forum about people that have used kitchen scales for similar purposes. If you setup a phone or video camera with slow speed mode you can scroll through the video to find the highest point of pressure.

There are some old posts on this forum about people that have used kitchen scales for similar purposes. If you setup a phone or video camera with slow speed mode you can scroll through the video to find the highest point of pressure.
CasePeanut,

Thank you; I had not thought of this.

Back