Edge Pro Matrix resin bond diamond stones

I just got a HAP40 pocket knife that measured BESS-C 350 out of the box. For reference I measure a Feather DE razor blade at BESS-C 65. Skipping to the end of the tale -- the knife is down to BESS-C 85. In between 350 and 85 was a quick clean up because the bevel was significantly asymmetric. I'm glad I had the 80 grit stone.

My habit (per scienceofsharp) is edge leading + strop and it's a hard habit to break. I don't normally go over 1K stones or spend much time stropping because the typical goal is a clean tomato slice not a mirror edge, say BESS-C 250. But given new stones and a new knife I thought I'd go a bit further.

I like the DM stones.

I just got a HAP40 pocket knife that measured BESS-C 350 out of the box. For reference I measure a Feather DE razor blade at BESS-C 65. Skipping to the end of the tale -- the knife is down to BESS-C 85. In between 350 and 85 was a quick clean up because the bevel was significantly asymmetric. I'm glad I had the 80 grit stone.

My habit (per scienceofsharp) is edge leading + strop and it's a hard habit to break. I don't normally go over 1K stones or spend much time stropping because the typical goal is a clean tomato slice not a mirror edge, say BESS-C 250. But given new stones and a new knife I thought I'd go a bit further.

I like the DM stones.

sounds like awesome result!! How high did you go?

I just ordered the DM stones 250-2300. I have a 1nm diamond strop I may try and finish with after the 2300. I plan on picking up the 4000 some time soon. How is the edge coming off the 2300?

I just ordered the DM stones 250-2300. I have a 1nm diamond strop I may try and finish with after the 2300. I plan on picking up the 4000 some time soon. How is the edge coming off the 2300?
There isn't much difference between the 2300 and 4000, 8 micron vs 5 micron, so I think you did well dropping it vs the 250 if it came to that. I know that 1 micron on leather is about as big a jump as I would go after the 4000 so it may be a bit of a stretch from the 2300, depending on the variables. It will still deburr fine but it most likely will not work too well at removing the scratches from the 2300. My only experience with stropping is with leather so keep that in mind.

1nm is .001 microns. I am assuming you meant 1 micron.

There isn't much difference between the 2300 and 4000, 8 micron vs 5 micron, so I think you did well dropping it vs the 250 if it came to that. I know that 1 micron on leather is about as big a jump as I would go after the 4000 so it may be a bit of a stretch from the 2300, depending on the variables. It will still deburr fine but it most likely will not work too well at removing the scratches from the 2300. My only experience with stropping is with leather so keep that in mind.

1nm is .001 microns. I am assuming you meant 1 micron.

Yes I meant 1 micron. I sharpened Maxamet last night and the strop helped deburr. Has anyone gone from the 2300 to a spyderco ultra fine stone?

I just ordered the DM stones 250-2300. ... How is the edge coming off the 2300?
I revisited this today with a Maxamet. Like the HAP40 this knife has uneven and irregular bevels but today that's irrelevant.

All measurements are BESS-C with 5g resolution.

Out of the box it measured 250 with the same coarse but uniform scratch pattern. After the 1K stone it was 180, after the 2K stone it was 165 (and looked nicely polished) and after the 4K stone it was 140. I didn't strop. Of course this is just a unique example and if I'd simply continued with the 1K stone I might have gotten the same or better results. There is a suggestion that polished edges are keener than unpolished but I don't imagine I'll try that experiment.

To 2nd what DM said, it's fine to skip the 4K stone. I usually use it after the 2K because I have it and it only takes another minute or so. The edge is less polished. I can't say that I can tell any difference in how a knife cuts between the two, or in edge retention. I also generally prefer toothier edges, so maybe it's just a preference.

I like polished edges and yes they are keener, or can be, the more refined you get them. I do notice a distinct difference with an edge between the 2300 and 4000, just like between the 4000 and strop. Of course, this is somewhat/quite steel and hardness dependant. It just depends on how far you want to go, but you have to get the edge right to begin with so that is why I suggest forgoing the finer stones if you are not getting the full set.

Last edited:
I like polished edges and yes they are keener, or can be, the more refined you get them. I do notice a distinct difference with an edge between the 2300 and 4000, just like between the 4000 and strop. Of course, this is somewhat/quite steel and hardness dependant. It just depends on how far you want to go, but you have to get the edge right to begin with so that is why I suggest forgoing the finer stones if you are not getting the full set.
To be clear, I notice a difference as well. A 4K edge cuts paper more smoothly than a 2K edge. Same for a 4K edge on 1 micron strop vs. no strop.

When said I can't tell the difference in how the knife cuts, I mean in terms of real-world performance. If I do testing, I don't get more cuts from 4K edge than a 2K edge, and unless I'm paying attend the difference is not noticeable. This could just be me.

That's just real world use is all. If you needed something for super precise cutting, fine, but we probably wouldn't be using a pocket knife for that anyways. But I do like the looks of it......

Just a quick observation. I received a spyderco UF stone for the edge pro system and sharpened my ritter with the diamond matrix stones 650, 1100, and 2300 and then decided to finish with the ultra fine spyderco stone and I have to say I think the 2300 matrix stone left a better mirror finish. Now this is after only one sharpening and more time will tell, but that's an initial impression for what it's worth.

The uniformity of the diamond “grit” size and mix is a couple of reasons why these stones work so well. Good observation.

So I came off the tip with my 2300 stone and the tip of the knife took left a small nick in a part of the stone. I lapped a little today with some 240 alox powder, but it’s still there and I didn’t want to remove a lot of material. Should I just use as normal and slowly remove the divot over time? Or level it in one session?

So I came off the tip with my 2300 stone and the tip of the knife took left a small nick in a part of the stone. I lapped a little today with some 240 alox powder, but it’s still there and I didn’t want to remove a lot of material. Should I just use as normal and slowly remove the divot over time? Or level it in one session?
It's only a cosmetic issue, it will not affect how the stone works. I have tested stones with voids that "may" trap stuff that could scratch your bevel in use and have never seen any problems so I make this statement with confidence.

Thanks for the feedback. Since I lapped my 2300, would you recommend lapping the others to keep thickness consistent?

No, I doubt you changed the thickness enough to measure let alone matter. Besides, the 2300 will wear the least of your set anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Since I lapped my 2300, would you recommend lapping the others to keep thickness consistent?
And dont think that just because it gets dirty it needs to be lapped or resurfaced. Clean it with some dawn and a toothbrush, or maybe even a little barkeeps friend. But lapping doesnt need to be done very often at all!

Back