Edge Pro Matrix resin bond diamond stones

Couple of thoughts to add after spending a couple of hours re-profiling and sharpening 4 different steels last night ((Spyderco M390, M4, LC200N, ZDP-189).

First of all, my stones were not cleaning as well. Too much stuff left on them and could not figure out why. Finally occurred to me that my 95% isopropyl is old and that I've accidentally left the cap off it a couple of times. It likely nowhere near 95% right now. Trip to the drug store for some 91% confirmed this. Much better cleaning with alcohol that hasn't been diluted with evaporation. So if your stones aren't coming clean I recommend getting some new alcohol. I'm going to use 95% or 99% going forward. I also ordered a push down alcohol dispenser so I don't have to worry about leaving the cap off the bottle going forward.

Sharpened ZDP-189 with these for the first time. It took about 2x the time to get the same sharpness as the others. Some for re-profiling. It's pretty resistant stuff. Not sure if it's higher hardness or something else.

I've sharpened LC200N but not re-profiled it. It feels similar to VG-10 when sharpening but doesn't cut as easily. It was interesting to re-profile and is nice to sharpen. Not hard to sharpen but a little different.

I will have to order the OTHER Edge Pro Diamond Matrix stones.

I highly suggest it. They work beautifully when used together — the transitions are seamless all the way down. They’re also quite versatile and can achieve essentially whatever finish you desire. Finishing with the 650 grit is tremendous for that super aggressive yet crisp edge on high carbide steels like S90V/S110V. I’ve found that the 2300 gives that high polished edge that Rex 45 craves yet leaves plenty of bite.

I still use Shapton Glass on stuff like XHP, SuperBlue, and 52100 but the Matrix stones are my daily drivers for just about everything else.

Honestly just a matter of preference and habit. Stuff like what I mentioned doesn't have the vanadium carbide content that really needs/wants diamonds. Nor is it at like 67 HRC like Rex 45. Using diamond plates and stuff in the past would sometimes be a little unnecessary/too aggressive on softer steels. Plus, I just like using them and enjoy the feedback. I think they polish a bit better as well.

Don't disagree - I'll use my glass stones sometimes as well. I have up to 16K grit. They do a nice job. I generally get better edges with the matrix diamond stones. I also have some SiC EP stones which also work well. Glass stones are getting less use now they they used to.

Hmm... Maybe I'll do a comparison on sharpening time and edge retention between SiC, Shapton, and the EP Matrix stones. Retention should be the same, assuming I get the same level of sharpness on all of them. Sharpening time will likely be significantly shorter on the Matrix stones. For VG-10 it probably doesn't matter. For ZDP, Maxamet and others, there's a big difference.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thats gonna be my first buys. Need to sell some of my radio control cars since I dont race anymore anyways. That would give me enough for all I want and other goodies too! It's a damn good thing I have an understanding wife, cause I have hobbies......
But she has Kohl's,lol Guess it all works out.

What did you race?

I got bit by the nitro bug a few years ago and did some club racing, mostly 1/8 buggy and truck. It was a lot of fun but I felt like I was spending more time and money than I was getting back in enjoyment after a while. No wonder a lot of guys tried to get sponsorships, getting stuff free or 1/2 price makes it a lot easier, lol.

I've held onto a lot of stuff, but thinking about selling some of it because these damn knives aren't cheap either!

I raced 1/8 nitro buggy/ truggy, 1/10 scale buggy and short course. No sponsor either. At a local level sponsorship is almost more of a pain than its worth. You get MAYBE 25% off retail. Period. And now your locked into the brand!
Yeah, ive been talking about selling the stuff for years. I also have a nitro monster truck and 4 radios! Damn, I really DO need to get motivated.

D Diemaker I was just thinking over the weekend how it would be nice to have a set of these for say a sharpmaker. How difficult would it be to make these into triangle rods that fit the sharpmaker, in say a 4 grit kit? Or would that be impossible without a backing plate or would it require a triangle rod in the center?

I'm really just thinking out loud right now. I'm not sure how profitable this would be, but I do know they have limited options for it. Sal might even be interested for his super steels, though I dont want to speak for him.

D Diemaker I was just thinking over the weekend how it would be nice to have a set of these for say a sharpmaker. How difficult would it be to make these into triangle rods that fit the sharpmaker, in say a 4 grit kit? Or would that be impossible without a backing plate or would it require a triangle rod in the center?

I'm really just thinking out loud right now. I'm not sure how profitable this would be, but I do know they have limited options for it. Sal might even be interested for his super steels, though I dont want to speak for him.

Can't get into details right now, but David and I have an idea we've been working on for a while and a drawing for the prototype to use the Edge Pro Matrix Hones in a fashion like the Sharpmaker.

David, D Diemaker can elaborate if and when he is ready to do so.

Can't get into details right now, but David and I have an idea we've been working on for a while and a drawing for the prototype to use the Edge Pro Matrix Hones in a fashion like the Sharpmaker.

David, D Diemaker can elaborate if and when he is ready to do so.
Thank you. I'll sit tight and wait for more info as it develops.

I'll be sure to keep you posted, in concert with D Diemaker

I think it may prove to be something many of us will find useful.

(For the record and full disclosure, I have no financial interest in the proposed product. I simply shared the concept with David and encouraged him to consider it and potentially bring it to market. Receiving and testing the prototype(s) and the final product will be my reward.)

I received the 250; the 650; and the 1100 (from) Edge Pro Diamond Matrix stones to go with the 2300 and 4000.
They work GRAND. I also have the old 140 and 400 Edge Pro old diamond type stones from chefknivestogo.com...

They worked like the Spyderco triangle diamond stones - not so great. I have the Spyderco 203 and (2) of the Spyderco 204 sharpeners with all their stones. THESE DIAMOND MATRIX STONES (made for the 204) WOULD BE A HUGE HIT ON THEIR FORUM - that's for certain sure! (I am there too).

I found all these Edge Pro Diamond Matrix stones to be BETTER than expected. They are ALL my GO TO STONES for the Edge Pro now. Since all my 20 knives are in good shape - I use very little pressure when my stone is under 2300 and then just like a leather strop with the 2300 and the 4000. The clean up with the medical 90% alcohol is fantastic. Use a light cloth and or a paper towel. I do like the Windex with a light hand liquid soap for the initial lubrication on all stones. I will still test (mess with is more like it!) my Chosera stones in 2000, 3000, 5000, and 10000 later.

Oh yes, please make yourself some great strops - order on Ebay the 50 inch by 2 inch belt blanks and make yourself OVER 16 of them. Cheap. Just figure out how to get the EP blanks to mount them using the 3M Super Spray Can sticker stuff...
(Home Depot or Lowes). Use your hand oil (in your hands) to smooth them out.
OH, yes, they are EDGE Trailing (PULLING) ONLY when stopping. Do not LEAD on your edge. YOU are polishing so you can read newsprint.

I burned up a few nice leather strops being careless. DON'T be me. It makes MORE work to replace them even though you easily can with 16 blanks! Think about the water buffalo too. They were nicely tanned. But, take your choice. Do it yourself stuff...

I have about 10 straight razors that I sharpen to wicked sharp on my regular (7) strops. I wanted to learn how to use a strop and that was the easy way to dress even a new razor. Now for the fun PART trying to use one! P.S. I never messed up one of those 3 inch strops - too darn expensive! LOL.

Thanks to all of you for making the transition to these Edge Pro Diamond Matrix stones quite simple and easy.
Knock 'em dead DIEMAKER!

Last edited:
Steven W. Knight Steven W. Knight Can you provide a direct comparison between the Matrix 250 and the CKTG 140?

1)The CKTG Diamond 140 stone was on a regular type Edge Pro (EP) aluminum non stamped with number blank. About $23.00 ish...

2) The Edge Pro 250 Diamond Matrix was on a THICKER polished machined and STAMPED with - Edge Pro(logo) Diamond and (big) 250 on it - aluminum blank - in super high quality. About $66.00 ish... I used Blue Magic metal polish on it for fun. It was like stainless steel - KINDA.

3) The CKTG Diamond 140 stone (CKTG D 140) was about 40% less thick than the EP 250 Diamond Matrix (EP 250 DM).

4) The CKTG D 140 has the same feel and touch as the regular Edge pro 120.

5) The EP 250 DM is very similar to my first go to a well worn Edge Pro 400 SiC stone.

6) The CHTG D 140 can take off a LOT of material for a re-profiling type job.

7) The EP 250 DM would be a lot slower - I would/will think about a EP 80 DM next. Therefore thanks for asking.
BTW the total THICKNESS size of the EP 250 DM to one of the regular EP SiC stones was rather close for your stone switching with a (using) quick locking assisting device on the Edge Pro. While the total THICKNESS of the CKTG D 140 was only half the size of the regular EP SiC stones. Like using my Chosera stones after the regular EP SiC 1000 stone.

8) This is a YOU get what you pay for situation. Using dinosaur terminology - I if want a Cadillac (or Mercedes) that will probably really show little wear for a long time (if you use light pressure) THEN buy the EP 250 DM and actually the whole family. Or if you prefer the less expensive Chevy Nova then buy the other type stones.

P.S. I have all the (poor quality) Chinese stones from 120 to 10000 so I know what a YUGO car looks like - LOL...
For experimenting and fun.

In the long run like all things in life "you get and receive what you pay for." Sadly...

BTW 2 - the key to all all Edge Pro Diamond Matrix stones is LIGHT to NO pressure IMVHO... use Windex (with light liquid soap) or Simple Green to lubricate then 90% alcohol to clean up - do not contaminate the different stones. Lots of paper towels and or cotton towels...

Also the IGAGING ANGLE CUBE with its 2 decimals is So much better than my cell phone Samung Note8 application with 1 decimal. I was almost .2 off sometimes.
Almost as good as the exacting straight razor backs in keeping your angle.

Last edited:
Steven W. Knight Steven W. Knight Can you provide a direct comparison between the Matrix 250 and the CKTG 140?
I have used both as well. Generally agree with what Steven wrote. I think a more appropriate comparison would be between the Matrix 80 grit and the CKTG 140, as they're both intended to remove material rather than removing scratches or refining an edge.

The CKTG 140 is quite abrasive. It leaves scratches that are hard to remove. It cuts well. I have used it only for re-profiling and learned the hard way not to apex and edge with it. It takes some time to smooth out the rough edge it leaves. It also wears fairly quickly compared to the Matrix stones.

I haven't compared them side-by-side, but my impression is that the Matrix 80 doesn't cut as quickly as the CTKG stone despite having a lower grit. Perhaps this is due to rough surface of the CKTG stone? In use if feels like you're dragging gravel over your blade. The Matrix 80 is much smoother. Both will cut and remove a lot of material. I much prefer using the Matrix 80 stone in terms of control and the finish it leaves on the blade. After re-profiling a few hard blades my CKTG stone is quite worn. After a similar number of blades my Matrix 80 stone is still cutting well. I believe the Matrix 80 stone will last much longer.

They both work. The CKTG stone will remove the material, perhaps faster. Cleaning up after it will take more work and the stone won't last as long. For me the Matrix 80 stone is at a completely different level in terms control and the edge it leaves. (I mean this with all due respect to CKTG, who have done a lot to help make the EP more usable.)

Edit: fixed typos.

Last edited:
Well done review David Richardson.

MY NEXT and last stone will soon be the EDGE PRO well made DIAMOND MATRIX stone family - the 80 grit stone. Diemaker was right is his remark to The gentle Prophet fellow on Youtube - BUY the 80 and the 250 to go with the 2300 and 4000. PERHAPS Have the whole family - if you can. AND (to the Prophet fellow) use LITTLE (to no pressure with pull only leading edge strokes) on 2300 and 4000 stones) to save the wear on your stones. BE CAREFUL test your own system and way to do do things.

I am impressed with the folks that use a lower GRIT stone to set the BEVEL and then jump up avoiding a lot of gradual stone climbing numbers. That saves a lot of time when the edge is in GREAT shape - certain sure. It reminded me totally of the Spyderco 203 and 204 Sharpmakers. Simple sure. If you have one of these make sure you clamp them down with a 5" wood clamp to your bench or table then use both HANDS on the KNIFE UP AND THEN DOWN KEEPING THE BLADE STRAIGHT UP with both of your hands - EASIER! - so you are professional.

But I always believe in having the correct tool - AKA stones - to do what ever you want according to the knife blade you are working on. I find it fantastic that we as professionals or sophisticated learned hobbyists can make OUR knife blades way sharper and even prettier than the best knife factories. That is profound.

Folks like Edge pro gave us a safe system that is basically rather straight forward and with these new Edge Pro Diamond Matrix stones we are in the drivers street. Sad that fellow lost his finger on YOUTUBE showing his version of the Wicked Edge per Ben Dale. Ouch! (Here it is Doc - holding the separated finger - "PLEASE" sew it back - I KINDA LIKE IT!)

Anyway be safe and have fun these darn Edge Pro machines are really rather relaxing...

Best to all of you - SWK

Last edited:
I received the 250; the 650; and the 1100 (from) Edge Pro Diamond Matrix stones to go with the 2300 and 4000.
They work GRAND. I also have the old 140 and 400 Edge Pro old diamond type stones from chefknivestogo.com...

They worked like the Spyderco triangle diamond stones - not so great. I have the Spyderco 203 and (2) of the Spyderco 204 sharpeners with all their stones. THESE DIAMOND MATRIX STONES (made for the 204) WOULD BE A HUGE HIT ON THEIR FORUM - that's for certain sure! (I am there too).

I found all these Edge Pro Diamond Matrix stones to be BETTER than expected. They are ALL my GO TO STONES for the Edge Pro now. Since all my 20 knives are in good shape - I use very little pressure when my stone is under 2300 and then just like a leather strop with the 2300 and the 4000. The clean up with the medical 90% alcohol is fantastic. Use a light cloth and or a paper towel. I do like the Windex with a light hand liquid soap for the initial lubrication on all stones. I will still test (mess with is more like it!) my Chosera stones in 2000, 3000, 5000, and 10000 later.

Oh yes, please make yourself some great strops - order on Ebay the 50 inch by 2 inch belt blanks and make yourself OVER 16 of them. Cheap. Just figure out how to get the EP blanks to mount them using the 3M Super Spray Can sticker stuff...
(Home Depot or Lowes). Use your hand oil (in your hands) to smooth them out.
OH, yes, they are EDGE Trailing (PULLING) ONLY when stopping. Do not LEAD on your edge. YOU are polishing so you can read newsprint.

I burned up a few nice leather strops being careless. DON'T be me. It makes MORE work to replace them even though you easily can with 16 blanks! Think about the water buffalo too. They were nicely tanned. But, take your choice. Do it yourself stuff...

I have about 10 straight razors that I sharpen to wicked sharp on my regular (7) strops. I wanted to learn how to use a strop and that was the easy way to dress even a new razor. Now for the fun PART trying to use one! P.S. I never messed up one of those 3 inch strops - too darn expensive! LOL.

Thanks to all of you for making the transition to these Edge Pro Diamond Matrix stones quite simple and easy.
Knock 'em dead DIEMAKER!
Can you pm me the ebay vendor "name" where you purchased your leather 50" belt blanks from?

Last edited:
ebay vendors cannot be linked on this forum. Take any such discussion to PM or email.

Wanted to share some stone cleaning info again. Just reprofiled a 3.3" 4V blade from 22 degrees to 17. I wanted to apex with the 650 stone. I did most of the removal with the 80 grit and got closer with the 250. I wasn't quite as close as I thought and had to do quite a bit of work with the 650 to get an apex. It had a fair amount of embedded steel in it when I was done.

Before and after pics below. It took about 4 cleanings with 91% alcohol and blue paper shop towels. I used a lot of pressure on the last cleaning and a lot of alcohol. It seems like sometimes the first cleaning sort of softens it up, and the following 1-2 cleanings do most of the work.

This stone gets a lot of use and it's probably time to flatten it. Same for my 80 and 250. I've re-profiled at least a doze hard blades with these. If I put water on them I can see it pooling toward the center. No dishing is visible when I look at the stones.

The higher grits only get a few trailing strokes per blade and should be wearing much less.

0kwH4gPh.jpg

p2TasaCh.jpg

Last edited:
David, thank you for your post. Looking at the photos it looks like your stone didn't get completely dressed by EP. The shinny areas are where the stone didn't get dressed, like the lower left edge in the bottom photo and the whole top edge in the top photo. Those shinny areas DO NOT CUT AT ALL since the diamond is flush with the resin.

Back