Edge pro vs Wicked Edge

I am sure this has been asked many time before but I am going to ask it again. If you were looking at getting into sharpening knives for myself and others which system would you guys recommend? I have some experience sharpening knives but I am new to both of these systems. Thanks.

Wicked Edge is significantly more expensive, but also significantly better at achieving high levels of sharpness and consistent repeatability.

Some will decry this, but it's just true.

Only used the WE, but a monkey could achieve great edges with it-very easy to use with not a whole lot of learning curve.
I never achieve results like I have with it.
Negative-it is darn expensive, but it doesn't hurt for too long.

I know it wasn't one of your options but I went KME. The owners are fantastic to deal with plus it comes with diamond stones at the Edge Pro price. If your sharpening high carbide steel you'll want diamond.

If your "sharpening for others" means a business I'd go WE. It seems to be more robust and longer lasting if your sharpening crazy amounts of knives.

Although KME has a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Not sure about EP..... just depends how much coin you wanna drop. They all preform well.

Edge pro is less expensive, but also significantly better at achieving high levels of sharpness and consistent repeatability.

the wording was just too good not to borrow. Edge Pro is just a better sharpener. :)

This is just false. Not saying the EP isn't a good sharpener, it is. But the fact is that the The EP requires The sharpener to hold the blade in place by hand which inevitaby introduces variability and inexact elements into the sharpening results. Not saying that you can't get good results on it just that it has more variance in results and is not is as repeatable. The clamp system on the wicked edge is by contrast exact and precise, every time. The diamond stones on the wicked edge also last far longer.

I know some edge pro guys get really defensive about this, but there's just some hard facts on this one. Again I'm not saying the EP is not a good system, it is. The Wicked Edge is just a better one. And it also costs more.

There is a case to be made that the KME combines the best elements of both the EP and the wicked edge. I haven't use the KME myself so I can't say for sure. But I definitely think it's worth looking into for those getting into sharpening.

halden.doerge said:
There is a case to be made that the KME combines the best elements of both the EP and the wicked edge. I haven't use the KME myself so I can't say for sure. But I definitely think it's worth looking into for those getting into sharpening.

That's exactly why I went KME. I wasn't willing to drop the $$$$ a WE costs. And love my super steels. It works very well, for me and others. Plus I like you can get stones from other makers like the EP. I even make my own balsa strops for it. I just buy thin 36" x 2" balsa planks at the local hobby shop ($2.29), cut them to 1"x4" and then load with diamond compounds. When they're loaded I just throw them away and make another.

Edge pro hands down. But I'd prefer hapstone cause there are so many stone options. Hapstone V6 also has optional add on for a clamp (not v7 tho). Kme is a 3rd choice I'd choose before wicked edge.

Last edited:
I have a KME and an Edge Pro. I prefer the KME's clamp for blades that have flats on them and the Edge Pro's shelf for full flat ground blades. You can do FFG blades in a clamp, but you have to mess around with trying to shim the blade (tape, etc.) to keep the edge centered. With the EP you just lie the whole flat on the shelf and adjust your guide rod angle to compensate. On the other hand, blades with very narrow flats can be tricky to keep at the proper angle on the shelf. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, as they say. :mad::D

Reactions: Mo2
I’ve had the Edge Pro Professional model for quite some time (the model I got is closest to current pro kit #3, but I also bought the scissor/chisel attachment with it).

I would summarize my experience with it like this: when I first got it, and did a couple knives a day for a period of time, I got good results. But my actual knife sharpening frequency is far less than that, and after the initial fun wore off, I found there must be some degree of “muscle memory” involved in mastering it (similar to waterstones, but different muscles). I just couldn’t maintain good results when I’d sharpen after a several month gap, and I was actually making matters worse on some edges so I stopped using it. It just sat on the shelf collecting dust after that.

It sounds like you are going to maintain a fairly frequent and regular usage, so an EP could be fine for you.

But due to my edge pro ineptness or whatever the reason, I’m considering a wicked edge instead.

PS if I do decide to get a WE, and if you are leaning toward an edge pro, I’d offer a serious discount for my edge pro professional. But I’d also want to include the scissor/chisel attachment in the price since that does me no good if I no longer have the EP (unless someone wants to buy that separately).

I’ve had the Edge Pro Professional model for quite some time (the model I got is closest to current pro kit #3, but I also bought the scissor/chisel attachment with it).

I would summarize my experience with it like this: when I first got it, and did a couple knives a day for a period of time, I got good results. But my actual knife sharpening frequency is far less than that, and after the initial fun wore off, I found there must be some degree of “muscle memory” involved in mastering it (similar to waterstones, but different muscles). I just couldn’t maintain good results when I’d sharpen after a several month gap, and I was actually making matters worse on some edges so I stopped using it. It just sat on the shelf collecting dust after that.

It sounds like you are going to maintain a fairly frequent and regular usage, so an EP could be fine for you.

But due to my edge pro ineptness or whatever the reason, I’m considering a wicked edge instead.

PS if I do decide to get a WE, and if you are leaning toward an edge pro, I’d offer a serious discount for my edge pro professional. But I’d also want to include the scissor/chisel attachment in the price since that does me no good if I no longer have the EP (unless someone wants to buy that separately).

Thanks for the info. I would probably be highly interested if you decided to sell your edge pro

I used to sharpen by hand and got good results. Then 5+ years ago I started looking at guided systems. I went with the WE and have since upgraded the arms and added stones/strops. While I have never used any other guided system, the WE results are terrific. The ability to reprofile and then repeat the same bevel is great. You can get all the polish on the edge you want. I sharpen a lot of knives and plan to have this kit for years so I was willing to spend the money which to many people seems foolishly expensive.

Take a look at the TSPROF K-02 and K-03. I have a K-02 and love it. It is very well built and is very easy to get superb edges. It has many attachments available, and can use nearly any stone you like. Works great with edge pro type aluminum backed stones. I have no regrets at all. I have not used the WE or EP, and they do look nice, but I decided on the K-02. It is so well made, it will be handed down after I am gone for sure. I got mine from Russia, but there is a usa dealer now and they ship much quicker than ordering from Russia. I suggest at least checking the K-02 out before spending that much money.

Reactions: Mo2
just be aware that most of these systems cannot grind less than 15 degrees per side. 15 degrees is ok for a micro-bevel, but won't help much when primary bevel is 10 degrees or less

just be aware that most of these systems cannot grind less than 15 degrees per side. 15 degrees is ok for a micro-bevel, but won't help much when primary bevel is 10 degrees or less
Actually for most systems there is always a way. Even for the Spyderco sharp maker.

warning for language.
Used a edgepro like system and got tired of holding the blade for a very long time(tool steel isn't fun without diamonds) and got a WE; never looked back, not as easy as some say though, you can still majorly **** up your knife. If you plan on sharpening a lot and being really exact or love super steels: go WE(maybe kme, haven't tried it; though I heard that the clamp doesn't center the blade perfectly; there's also that Russian kme, no idea how it's called)

Last edited by a moderator:
Used a edgepro like system and got tired of holding the blade for a very long time(tool steel isn't fun without diamonds) and got a WE; never looked back, not as easy as some say though, you can still majorly fuck up your knife. If you plan on sharpening a lot and being really exact or love super steels: go WE(maybe kme, haven't tried it; though I heard that the clamp doesn't center the blade perfectly; there's also that Russian kme, no idea how it's called)

When you got your WE and got familiar with it, did it significantly speed up total time-to-sharpen a blade from edge profiling all the way through finishing? What approach were you using to sharpen previously?

I researched all the sharpening systems again recently (and have in the past), and for reasons I won't repeat here, decided to stick with freehand. But one thing that could really tempt me to something like WE, Hapstone, etc.: if it would significantly speed up sharpening time, like cutting it in half and actually getting BETTER results at the same time. Now that would be fairly tempting. :) I enjoy sharpening freehand--a lot--but it just takes too darn long sometimes. That's the ONLY thing that bugs me about freehand.

When you got your WE and got familiar with it, did it significantly speed up total time-to-sharpen a blade from edge profiling all the way through finishing? What approach were you using to sharpen previously?

I researched all the sharpening systems again recently (and have in the past), and for reasons I won't repeat here, decided to stick with freehand. But one thing that could really tempt me to something like WE, Hapstone, etc.: if it would significantly speed up sharpening time, like cutting it in half and actually getting BETTER results at the same time. Now that would be fairly tempting. :) I enjoy sharpening freehand--a lot--but it just takes too darn long sometimes. That's the ONLY thing that bugs me about freehand.

Absolutely yes; I free-handed(which I still sometimes do; tried an edge-pro clone(which sometimes took me hours with wear resistant steels) a sharp maker(which I see as junk). With the wicked edge I can go reprofile and coarse edge in 10-15minutes and mirror polish in ~45 for normal pocket knives. Machetes(TOPS TFK) heavy reprofile+mirror finish took longer because I decided to part the blade into 2 segments. These times are with setting up the wicked edge "station" and setting angles with and anglecube etc.

Love my EP for sharpening the wife's grooming shears. Knives aren't too difficult to do with a little discipline and consistency.
no opinion on the WE as I have no experience with it.

Back