EK model 44 - anyone familiar?

Looks like I "need" one for my emerging collection. I am concerned after watching a prominent YouTuber review on it. He used two brand new knives and they both failed by the guard coming totally loose.

The test was not what the knife was designed for but it was nothing I wouldn't expect all knives to pass. The second knife was a warranty replacement for the first. It failed in the same way...clearly a design flaw.

Anyone know if the guard manufacturing / design issue has been fixed or anyone had any similar experiences?

Hella nice knife but not worth the money if the guard comes loose from a few taps on a branch.

What is your attraction to them? I have one would not consider it a hard use knife. For normal knife things a thin double edge can do, it works well enough for me.

If you are worried about guard failure, you probably need to use a different knife.

S Sid Post as mentioned mainly for my collection. I would not buy a new knife with a major design or manufacturing flaw tho even if it was never going to be used.

Here's your Ek answers:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-the-ek.1638186/

And don't listen to YouTube...that is always a path to failure. ;)

BF delivers again.

From that thread the design flaw is confirmed - makes me wonder why the manufacturer doesn't fix the dang problem. You certainly are paying for an expensive knife that is pre-broken.

That thread quips that the blade steel is both soft and weak.

Did kabar go to sleep with this knife, did the intern or a drunk man build it.

Kind of rude given the legacy and heritage of the design.

Think I will pass, can't believe one of my favourite brands would allow this.

BF delivers again.

From that thread the design flaw is confirmed - makes me wonder why the manufacturer doesn't fix the dang problem. You certainly are paying for an expensive knife that is pre-broken.

That thread quips that the blade steel is both soft and weak.

Did kabar go to sleep with this knife, did the intern or a drunk man build it.

Kind of rude given the legacy and heritage of the design.

Think I will pass, can't believe one of my favourite brands would allow this.

You need to read the thread again it seems...

The soft yet brittle steel was on the Ek model 4, NOT the Ka-Bar Ek 44.

The guard "issue" isn't really an issue at all.
If the scales slide down a tad, letting it rattle, you just loosen the bolts and push the scales tight against the guard, then tighten the bolts. The guard still works, and this is not some weird "flawed" method of construction. Plenty of knives have been made the same way for decades, if not hundreds of years. The guard doesn't fall off...the guard still keeps your hand from sliding up the blade...it still guards.

You also said you were planning to buy it for a collection...the guards won't loosen at all if not used. It doesn't ship loose. :)
And if you want to ensure the scales won't move at all if you decide to use it someday, tighten the bolts more! All you need is a flat head screwdriver.

I tightened the bolts on the Ka-Bar Ek 45 because I want to use it in the woods sometimes, and now the scales don't move. Batonning and chopping don't move them now, because I tightened them more.

It isn't "pre-broken".
It isn't "flawed".
It also might not be for you...which is fine, because lots of other knives are out there.

You need to read the thread again it seems...

The soft yet brittle steel was on the Ek model 4, NOT the Ka-Bar Ek 44.

The guard "issue" isn't really an issue at all.
If the scales slide down a tad, letting it rattle, you just loosen the bolts and push the scales tight against the guard, then tighten the bolts. The guard still works, and this is not some weird "flawed" method of construction. Plenty of knives have been made the same way for decades, if not hundreds of years. The guard doesn't fall off...the guard still keeps your hand from sliding up the blade...it still guards.

You also said you were planning to buy it for a collection...the guards won't loosen at all if not used. It doesn't ship loose. :)
And if you want to ensure the scales won't move at all if you decide to use it someday, tighten the bolts more! All you need is a flat head screwdriver.

I tightened the bolts on the Ka-Bar Ek 45 because I want to use it in the woods sometimes, and now the scales don't move. Batonning and chopping don't move them now, because I tightened them more.

It isn't "pre-broken".
It isn't "flawed".
It also might not be for you...which is fine, because lots of other knives are out there.

So I might have been overreacting a little.

So I might have been overreacting a little.

Perhaps a tad.

I'll admit it would be nice if the guard was soldered/brazed in place or press fit on there, but it works as is.

I saw one of the YouTube videos while waiting for mine to show up, and the title about major failure or whatever it was.
Then I watched it, and the guard got wiggly! :D Not quite the critical failure I was lead to believe from the video title. ;)

Back