Electric House heat mystery (to me) Please Help!

RayseM

Platinum Member
Our primary heat source are electric - near ceiling mounted - cove heaters. The low voltage thermostats are basic Honeywell Digitals (not programmable).

Came into one room tonight and was obviously wayyyyy over heated. Thermostat set at 64° was reading 73° but a stand alone & very dependable thermometer/ humidity indicator was reading 84°. The 73° was a high as the thermostat would read.

I shut off the thermostat. Waited about a 1/2 hour with checks every 10 minutes or so expecting to see the temperature drop. Rather the heaters (2 - 9' units in this area) were still cranking out heat even with the thermostat switched off. I could only shut off the heat to that room by switching off the breaker.

QUESTION 1- Is it possible that the problem is as simple as a faulty thermostat? Why when it was completely switched off was the heat was still climbing?

QUESTION 2 - Is it more likely that I have a short in the 220v lines at one or both of the heaters??? Mouse chewed through the jacket or something?

I can change out the thermostat in the morning but trying to anticipate if I have a more serious/dangerous problem. The mouse chew is not unfounded speculation. This year for the first time ever, I know they have found their way in and are living up in the vicinity of those heaters - I hear them. :mad: :poop:

Time to call in an electrician? Thank you for any insight.

_Very_ likely the thermostat. Lines and heaters should be OK, because the breaker worked.

Back