Electrician Knife Pattern Research

Great info on a knife pattern that often got taken for granted. I know that when I was in the Army we didn't give them much respect in terms of real appreciation. They were obtainable enough and utilitarian so we didn't think of them much except as handy to have and abuse. The stainless utility knife was treated not much better. Everyone appreciated them as useful and while we appreciated that part, we didn't exactly cherish them as they were always around. Wish I'd hung on to the ones I had, along with my Camillus Pilot's knife.

Now, I've managed to pick up a 90's TL-29 and am hoping to someday pick up another "demo" knife as we called the utility knife. I'm just being cheap, but the right U.S. marked will pop up at the right price and with hopefully a mid/late 80's or early 90's year date, and it will come home.

I'll add my WOW to the comments on your Empire display, Charlie! That should get some attention at the show.

Yes, it is a Mike Silvey photo used in his "Pocket Knives of the US Military" book.

All the best
Frank Trzaska

He has a definite style! I've seen that book somewhere; Now I have to get a copy!!
Thanks Frank,
Charlie

The tang stamp reads "Made In U.S.A." ... a Sears contract knife? By whom?

Codger

Here is a picture of my set I got while I was in the Marines from 75-79, It consists of a Camillus Knive and a holub set of TL Pliers.

attachment.php

Can anyone tell me how the screwdriver blade on the TL-29 would be used to strip insulation? Mine (Camillus, I'm guessing commercial although I have no expertise) has a semi-sharpened section on the screwdriver blade that I think is intended as a wire stripper. I don't see how to use it, though. Any explanations?

You run the blade around the wire holding it tight with your thumb on the opposite side of the insulation, hard enough to score the insulation, but not the metal conductor inside. Like scoring/cutting the bark on a tree to kill it.
Keeping it a little tight, you yank/slide the insulation off. You probably have to cut yourself a few times before you become good at it!!

As a retired Wyoming cable tv technician, where I first used Old Timers in the late 70's, I can attest to some blood letting before becoming good at wire stripping and coax prep.

I was reading through this old thread and thought it was bringing back, especially since the demise of Camillus.

Question:
Does anyone know if Camillus made the TL-29s for M. Klein Tools?

BTW, I have been collecting TL-29s for a while now and have about 60 of them. I am still looking for an Empire, a Remington & a Winchester.

Dale

Here's another unusual version - made by UNIMARI ITALY, marked "TL-29" in gold on the handle (complete with the quote marks!), screwdriver stamped instead of etched with the closing instructions. Handles are some sort of black plastic which has shrunk quite a bit. The screwdriver lock, center pin and liners are brass, the bolsters and bail are a bright silver-colored metal. Seems to be of mediocre quality:

unimari_tl29.jpg

It's kind of outside my current interests, if somebody wants to give it a good home I'm sure we can work something out...

This is a great thread to bump to the top again.

Two Electrician knives I obtained recently:

#1 - Schrade Walden 204S. As described in old Schrade Walden catalogs. Cocobolo handles, silver nickel bolsters and shield, steel shackle, brass liners and pins (3).

#2 - Schrade Cut Co. No shield. Steel bolsters, liners, and pins (4) Nice tip Codger, the magnet test. Liner lock not marked with PRESS. Slimmer cocobolo handles.

Any thoughts or someone with similar examples of #2. I did not see a similar one in the Schrade Cut Co catalogs, which doesn't surprise me. Maybe a contract knife. Or just an unshielded 2041? Is it different pattern?

204_front.jpg

204_back.jpg

They made these patterns to last. Heavy duty! The stripper blades are like the jaws of life. Thumbnail busters

Last edited:
Thank you very much to Codger_64 and trz for the detailed history of the TL-29 knife.
Now I know about my Electrician knives much more.