Elmax

I am sure this has been asked before but I thought I would ask it in this niche nook. How much harder is it to maintain the edge of elmax over 3v? I'd be interested to get your feed back to Dan as a maker.

Best regards
P

I've never used Elmax, so I can't really say.

I would definitely be interested in what others think about it, though. It's a steel I've considered using...just haven't been compelled to offer it yet. (ie. I like 3V just waaaaay too much :D)

I have 13 knives in 3V (One is a Bushmaster) and 8 in Elmax...

It really depends on how hard the steel is hardened to as to how hard they are to sharpen. Elmax ABSOLUTELY must be hardened to at least 60-61 before it will show it's greatness. ANYTHING below that and the steel is TOTAL crap! But when properly hardened, Elmax is a BEAST of a steel! I'm able to process 7-8 medium to large sized wild hogs out of a single Elmax blade before I have to touch it up. 3V on the other hand is about 4-5. HOWEVER, Elmax will occasionally get Micro Chips from the blade impacting hog bone. I have never experienced 3V to micro chip but do get minor edge rolls from time to time. I would rather have edge rolls than chipping any day.

I know this is probably a weird way to test knives but for me, it's the only way. I'm a Licensed Nuisance Wildlife control Operator, specializing in Feral Hog & Coyote control...

Both are EXCELLENT steels and thus far are my favorites! I have found that there isn't much difference in sharpening time for me to be concerned about...

A buddy is making some knives from Elmax and so I'll get a chance to try it out here in the shop. I will probably go ahead and buy a bar just for kicks/giggles anyway.

What knife (or knives) would you want made from Elmax?

HW - great write-up! :thumbup:

A buddy is making some knives from Elmax and so I'll get a chance to try it out here in the shop. I will probably go ahead and buy a bar just for kicks/giggles anyway.

What knife (or knives) would you want made from Elmax?

HW - great write-up! :thumbup:

Thanks Dan! I'm sorry I mispronounced your last name in my video but don't worry, I will make it up to you!

If I had my choices, I would take both a Bushmaster and Bushcrafter in Elmax. If you decide to do this, you HAVE to let me know, I'm ordering them!:D

Next time you're on Twitter, check me out and if you don't mind, follow me back. I sent you a #FF this last Friday...

Elmax sounds interesting - I think I saw some Elmax on the Walking Dead tonight

Last edited:
Back