Elusive Schrades

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
In most of the last century, Schrade developed a reputation for inexpensive but very serviceable pocket knives. Many great American cutleries didn't survive the 1930s. The ones that did, and then got a share of military contracts in the early 1940s did very well indeed. Camillus, Case, Schrade, Kabar(Union) come to mind.
Throughout the ups and downs of the industry, pride of workmanship, and competition for the consumers' money resulted in some beautiful products, and some interesting experiments in design.
I consider the knives presented here a step or two above the "serviceable design" designation, and being fairly rare, wonder if they were great expressions of the cutlers' art, but too expensive to sell well.
I like the way the bone jigging on the 2 3/4" serpentine pen was scaled to the knife, and I have a particular weakness for single backspring large knives, like the 4" 2-blade stockman, and the Hawbaker. The 3 9/16" (mini-moose?) double end jack is just plain exquisite.
I feel privileged and humbled to have these, and hope you enjoy seeing them.
scwR1.jpg

scwR1pile.jpg

Thanks for the pics Charlie. I like all three of the big knives.

All interesting knives Charlie, and great examples. I have always enjoyed the Improved Muskrats designed by Stanley Hawbaker and produced by I think 4 different cutlery firms. Would you call the Hawbaker blade a Warncliff or a Lambsfoot ?

Interesting bone on the Hawbaker Charlie.

Not what I expect on a Schrade. Much lighter in color and more vigorously " fitted " at the bolsters.

Do you have other Schrades that look this way, or do you think this may have been specific for this pattern ?

Fran

Interesting jigging on all of them, and very nicely fitted at the bolsters. Thanks for sharing. That's a great collection of Schrades.

Charlie,Those are really great I like the one with the spear/clip/rounded bolsters
I think some patterns did not "make it" ,because back when they were made,perhaps they were for "users" and really were no "collectors".So then,how many patterns do you need ? The more "popular" ones were the ones that "made it".
For a lack of a better way to say it,if this makes sense.
Sorry for the ramble,a bit exhausted this afternoon
These are cetainly nice to come in & check out,I'd dig owning any one of them,Thanks for showin'
-Vince

Oh yeah,BTW,#7903,what a Bose that'd be,huh?
I can't help it,everytime I see a winner,I picture a Bose HP version.Haunts me wherever I look in the forum :D
-Vince

Now those are really nice looking knives. I'd be proud to have any one of those in my pocket. Thanks very much

More amazing knives, Charlie. It must be fun to rummage through your closets. :cool:

Thanks for all the comments my folksy friends! I will dig up some more scans for this thread. I have some contributed pictures as well. (I learned that trick from Vince!)

Hey, I've been lookin' for those drawers! Been stuck in the house all day, lookin' at this lousy computer!!
Wait! Those aren't mine - - no pockets!!

Hey, I've been lookin' for those drawers! Been stuck in the house all day, lookin' at this lousy computer!!
Wait! Those aren't mine - - no pockets!!

They usually have a pouch! :p

Anyway, back to Schrade's... :cool:

Back