Elusive Schrades

I am very grateful to have found this little guy. Schrade cut 8563 jr cattle knife at 3 3/8”. These have been on my radar a long time and do not show up often, especially in this condition.

It only has one minor little issue, the very tip of the sheepsfoot it bent a little. Other than that it’s about as nice as I could ask for, and extremely well built as typical for a schrade cut. The factory edges are still present.

DD3FCF5B-A90D-4A83-AA5B-6008E28CAA7A.jpeg 970389C9-55CA-4347-994A-14D789A8188C.jpeg
4B902E35-3BE9-4718-8D9F-50C022F8F4F5.jpeg DBA6B37E-CB75-4FC2-A520-9B2AB582B71B.jpeg 06D25BEA-8BCD-4186-ACAF-7B13ED31B01E.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Gev, I’ve found that taking knife pictures on the windowsill in my bedroom produces the best results I’ve had yet. The lighting is very consistent and I don’t have to drag everything out to the yard. The white background is plain but contrasts well, although whenever I can manage to come up with a good picture of knives on a mossy rock I’ll take it. :)

At the other end of the spectrum from Paul's Junior Cattle knife is this rather large 858 Old Timer Stockman!!:eek: At a hair over 4 9/16", it is a bruiser of a knife!!:cool: This one is the earlier carbon steel model, lightly sharpened, if at all!:)
Shown here with Old Boiley for scale!OT 858 1.jpg OT 858 2.jpg

Correction:
After vinegar testing, I believe the knife is Stainless, not carbon! Oh Well!!:p

Last edited:
It’s a family affair.

The new blood 8373 3/4 followed by an 8173 3/4, an 8173 and an 8171. Like the 8373 3/4 the 8171 at the bottom is also a bit outside the catalog norm.

View attachment 1440213 View attachment 1440214
Tidy little Herd there, Paul!!:thumbsup: Nice roundup of related species!!:D

Please tell me, Paul, where you found that Fostarene reference in the previous post!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments folks.

Charlie, waynorth waynorth , in this link there is a little blurb about fostarene on page 8. Most of the schrades I see with the stuff are waldens from the 1950’s era but there are some cuts and early waldens out there with it too. It’s jet black, hard as a rock and doesn’t seem to shrink too much. There has been additional info about fostarene posted in the schrade section of AAPK but I could not find it.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/articles/Pottery and Royal Poincianas.pdf

I am very grateful to have found this little guy. Schrade cut 8563 jr cattle knife at 3 3/8”. These have been on my radar a long time and do not show up often, especially in this condition.

It only has one minor little issue, the very tip of the sheepsfoot it bent a little. Other than that it’s about as nice as I could ask for, and extremely well built as typical for a schrade cut. The factory edges are still present.

View attachment 1435827 View attachment 1435828
View attachment 1435829 View attachment 1435825 View attachment 1435826

All very nice but this Cut Co is stellar Paul.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments folks.

Charlie, waynorth waynorth , in this link there is a little blurb about fostarene on page 8. Most of the schrades I see with the stuff are waldens from the 1950’s era but there are some cuts and early waldens out there with it too. It’s jet black, hard as a rock and doesn’t seem to shrink too much. There has been additional info about fostarene posted in the schrade section of AAPK but I could not find it.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/articles/Pottery and Royal Poincianas.pdf
Thanks, Paul!! I think I have some - somewhere!!??:rolleyes:

Back