Elusive Schrades

looking back at the last few pages, beautiful Knives being posted, tinged greatly with sadness when I see Ron Posting that lovely Scouts Prepare Peach-Seed and then his Barlow.
Here in our House today is very very quiet without my wee Izzy - I can tell you I am looking forward to better days!
What makes me feel good is looking through traditional's- what a great place.

I remember at the 2016 GEC Rendezvous I gave a wee Pearl Handles Schrade to our very good friend Mr Knowtracks, I loved that wee Knife because it was so very fine - extremely tidy, even the tiny Bail was finished off so beautifully, this Knife I am posting here reminds me of that Knife - not quite as Tidy- but a wee Beauty anyway, this particular Knife is from our good friend Roland's Home, a Gentleman's Knife that is Border lined being called a Lobster Knife- which I hold it in that Class, very much a wonderfully built Knife - Super fine Cutlers magnificent work ..............

s1tjqRu.jpg

Rgq8JVL.jpg

7iTWfFu.jpg

WpxvK7z.jpg

Q3ZuJsD.jpg

Lovin' the early Zulu reference, Charlie! What year catalog is that from?
It appears in the 1936 catalog supplement to the 1928 "E" catalog, Jeff!
Great knife Charlie! Is that a new addition to the Campagna hoard? :)
I've had it for a few years, Mike - sometime before Tony Bose started using the "Zulu" name after seeing it!!;) He inadvertently was using a modified spear before that, and joyously adopted the name!!:D
Thanks for the nice comments Rob, John, Jeff and Mike!!:cool:

I've had it for a few years, Mike - sometime before Tony Bose started using the "Zulu" name after seeing it!!;) He inadvertently was using a modified spear before that, and joyously adopted the name!!

This is off topic, but I wanted to relate some information about Tony Bose and the Zulu name that I picked up a while ago, just for any possible interest it might have (and to the extent that I remember it correctly).

Back in May 2019 I went to a Case knife event hosted by one of the big knife retailers. Tony Bose was there, along with Ida Reid. I went specifically looking for a pocket worn whiskey bone CV Tribal Lock. At first I thought I was going to be out of luck until I discovered all the CV knives were together in one display. Anyway, after buying the knife I got in the "receiving line," which was the line that started with the table where Tony and Ida were seated, followed by a Case factory rep, and then continued on to the sale tables. When I came to Tony I asked if he would autograph the box for my Tribal Lock, which he graciously agreed to do. I told him about having a yellow SS version of that knife and how much I liked it, and also how much I enjoyed my several Swaybacks. He told me (and here I hope my memory and understanding is correct) that that knife was going to be called a "Zulu" (maybe "Zulu Lock"? -- not sure) but that someone (I think he said Remington, but maybe he remembered wrong and meant Schrade) had trademarked (or patented or copyrighted?) the Zulu name for knives, so Case was not able to use it.

I'm afraid that I was so in awe that Tony Bose was actually talking to me, and so afraid that I was taking too much of his time, that the whole thing was a blur! :oops:

32932325887_5d7f415e21_b.jpg

This is off topic, but I wanted to relate some information about Tony Bose and the Zulu name that I picked up a while ago, just for any possible interest it might have (and to the extent that I remember it correctly).

Back in May 2019 I went to a Case knife event hosted by one of the big knife retailers. Tony Bose was there, along with Ida Reid. I went specifically looking for a pocket worn whiskey bone CV Tribal Lock. At first I thought I was going to be out of luck until I discovered all the CV knives were together in one display. Anyway, after buying the knife I got in the "receiving line," which was the line that started with the table where Tony and Ida were seated, followed by a Case factory rep, and then continued on to the sale tables. When I came to Tony I asked if he would autograph the box for my Tribal Lock, which he graciously agreed to do. I told him about having a yellow SS version of that knife and how much I liked it, and also how much I enjoyed my several Swaybacks. He told me (and here I hope my memory and understanding is correct) that that knife was going to be called a "Zulu" (maybe "Zulu Lock"? -- not sure) but that someone (I think he said Remington, but maybe he remembered wrong and meant Schrade) had trademarked (or patented or copyrighted?) the Zulu name for knives, so Case was not able to use it.

I'm afraid that I was so in awe that Tony Bose was actually talking to me, and so afraid that I was taking too much of his time, that the whole thing was a blur! :oops:

32932325887_5d7f415e21_b.jpg
Tony used the name "Zulu Spear" for his custom knives, A Ace Rimmer , but Case opted to not use it on the collabs because the implications were not clear to them (or me!)!! Zulu is of course a name for an African Tribe.
Maybe Case was afraid to be accused of 'racial appropriation' - but I think the term was not in use at the time?!?!
Or maybe the Schrade copyright still held?? It was first printed in their 1928 catalog - or supplement.

Tony used the name "Zulu Spear" for his custom knives, A Ace Rimmer , but Case opted to not use it on the collabs because the implications were not clear to them (or me!)!! Zulu is of course a name for an African Tribe.
Maybe Case was afraid to be accused of 'racial appropriation' - but I think the term was not in use at the time?!?!
Or maybe the Schrade copyright still held?? It was first printed in their 1928 catalog - or supplement.

Thanks for the additional info!

Even when I’m not actively buying knives like a madman I do try to keep my eyes out for this kind of stuff, an acquisition that I’m very happy to have.

This is schrade’s jumbo 4 5/16” stockman. It shows up in the cut co catalogs as the 81043 pattern. This one is Walden USA stamped, which by then all catalogued schrades had a different pattern number than their cut predecessors. This one does not have a pattern stamped and does not show up in walden catalogs. This is not too unusual, other than I didn’t know they made this pattern into the 1950’s era. The knife itself is a decent example with pretty much full blades and intact bone. Interestingly it also has nickel silver liners, which is a bit abnormal except for certain patterns. I have a theory that NS liners were used in a greater capacity sometime in the 1950’s because I have several walden patterns with NS liners that should be brass according to catalogs at the time.

C2DBC0D4-6CEC-4AE9-BB40-A2FE61694BFC.jpeg 2CC78D70-96B3-4BA1-9BE2-7893B7241C0B.jpeg BA74290A-7187-4A22-BE77-BE3EC02F517F.jpeg

Compared to a standard 4” stockman it certainly shows the large size.

ABC0FA93-A013-41EF-B21F-7AADC0356C9A.jpeg

Back