Elusive Schrades

This Cut co. came in yesterday. Nice and slim at 3” with very tight and snappy action. So barely used at all with original factory edge. Some spots on the blade but it was a decent price. Seller only had photos of the mark side, took the chance and am very pleased with it! Now should I sharpen the factory edge and use it?

TheChunk91 TheChunk91 Thanks Paul! I’m leaning towards not sharpening it too. I’ve other knives I can always use and should probably leave this one alone. The main is still sharp enough for most cutting tasks and the pen has a pretty sharp factory edge that looks unused.

Yeah if it does have the factory edge? I think I would leave it as well.
What a great looking knife!

Just deal with the rust spot to ensure it doesn’t grow ( if it’s live ).

Thanks Duncan. Yes I might try to “clean” up the spots better. Tried using a pencil but it only kinda worked. I’ll take you guys’ advice and not sharpen it, I can always sharpen it but can’t upsharpen it...

Yet another beauty there Paul.

Nick- this is what I do- and it works- I actually use an older Carbon Steel Blade that isnt sharp- and has no nicks- hey...even a later model GEC Carbon that needs an edge - like I said no nicks- nice and smooth, and this may horrify some - but I run the blade on like a 25 degree angle along the blade that has rust spots- you can see and hear it when it hits the rust spot as the fine red dust comes of- pretty soon - as in about 15 seconds - theres no more red dust - , and you cant hear the blade or pretty much cant feel it either - and the spot remains there of course but is a dead black looking colour.
I never leave a single wee mark on my blades doing this, I then may after that use only 0000 grade Steel Wool dont use 000 grade or anything thinking its fine enough as 000 grade will scratch and also shine up the steel - 0000 wont do either when used with Mineral oil and used carefully.
I them dry and wipe the knife down and Renaissance Wax it.
if you use a Pencil you may have to use a very hard lead- I do drawing and I would use an 8H or 9H pencil- that's and extremely hard lead.
:thumbsup:

Anytime my friend. Works well eh! :):thumbsup:
I use Mineral oil- just let that soak in fir a day or so - and from now that knife will need extra vigilance from now one ( Neil Young - rust never sleeps) :)

I didn’t have mineral oil and used Japanese camellia oil and so far so good. I use it to wipe down my knives with every once in a while. Will definitely be on the watch for that rust guy creeping up in sweaty summer pockets.

Schrade Cut Co stag whittler, from what I can find was known as #4 under Cut Co and became pattern 804 under Schrade Walden. Vintage American made stag knives are not common.
I'm sure they were not common. I was unaware of their producing pocket knives with real stag handles? Did they have a custom shop way back then? Your blades look to be in pristine condition. :)

Made a trade today for this 880 Schrade Walden. Swung by my buddies house to return his trailer hitch and his mother and sister were there. They had captured a skunk in a live trap and asked me to dispose of it. I got sprayed, chivalry may have its limitations. Good day to allimage.jpg

Last edited:
Back