Email

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
With the new layout, am I missing the portion of a member's profile where I can email them? I am a regular user, I'm guessing that's why I cannot find the option to send an email. I'd like to contact a seller regarding the scales they have for sale. I posted in their thread, as well as left them a visitor message. But I would like to send an email.

Bummer. I know I don't get emails every time I get a PM (or whatever they are called now) so if someone you want to talk to doesn't log onto the forum they may not know you messaged them.
Nice.

So why am I seeing postings that refer to "PM sent" as recently as 2 days ago in the for sale by individuals area. Am I missing something? Thanks

So why am I seeing postings that refer to "PM sent" as recently as 2 days ago in the for sale by individuals area. Am I missing something? Thanks

Yes. A PM is a Private Message that one member uses to communicate privately with another member on the forum. The original poster of this thread is inquiring about Emails.

Bummer. I know I don't get emails every time I get a PM (or whatever they are called now) so if someone you want to talk to doesn't log onto the forum they may not know you messaged them.
Nice.
Not sure if this pertains to your comment but if you go to your Contact Details>Message Preferences, you'll see this checkbox;
Receive email when a new conversation message is received
Email notifications for new conversations, replies to existing conversations, and being added to an existing conversation.

Not sure if this pertains to your comment but if you go to your Contact Details>Message Preferences, you'll see this checkbox;
Receive email when a new conversation message is received
Email notifications for new conversations, replies to existing conversations, and being added to an existing conversation.

Thanks Gary,
I found that (took while :)) and it was checked. I used to get an email every time before the new software, now I receive emails for some PMs, just not all.
I wonder if maybe it has something to do with getting logged out most times when I close my browser?
Not a biggie, just can't rely on getting a notification anymore and will have to check in more often when selling and whatnot.

I just think the old system was simpler, more direct and superior. You could VM PM or e-mail (when a member allowed it) very easily. You could also receive messages and were notified of them immediately. I received some VMs (or whatever they're called now..) but was unaware of their existence, weeks later I clicked open that section by chance and found some communications offering to help me. Problem was, not only were they weeks old but the sender does not allow e-mail reply.

The new forum may be superior in avoiding crashes etc but in communication it is not better. Also you used to be able to see where a member came from (if they wanted to say) from their avatar, and who was reading a particular thread at that moment, both useful, both gone.

I just think the old system was simpler, more direct and superior. You could VM PM or e-mail (when a member allowed it) very easily. You could also receive messages and were notified of them immediately. I received some VMs (or whatever they're called now..) but was unaware of their existence, weeks later I clicked open that section by chance and found some communications offering to help me. Problem was, not only were they weeks old but the sender does not allow e-mail reply.

The new forum may be superior in avoiding crashes etc but in communication it is not better. Also you used to be able to see where a member came from (if they wanted to say) from their avatar, and who was reading a particular thread at that moment, both useful, both gone.

I don't know how long it has been since the update to the site and I wish I had one positive thing to say about it, but I don't.

Maybe I just don't get it. Maybe I just don't know a good thing when I see it. Literally everything I like to do on the site is either hampered or has been removed (or i just can't find it or figure it out) by the new setup.

I wonder if site use by members is up or down or unchanged since the switch.

I feel the same way a PM is or was a private message that was....well private between the two individuals that have pm'd each other to conversate. Although now its not private and you have to list your email address and whatever your talking about for the whole world to see.

It's just not private anymore and anyone can look at what your talking about. I really don't have anything to hide I just don't think its the whole worlds business on what I wish to talk about or conversate on. Yes I like the old style pm method better myself also. I'm on several different gun/knife forums and none of them are like this a PM is a PM not a WM...ie. World message. Yes I'll send you a WM if you like sir. :rolleyes:

I don't know how long it has been since the update to the site and I wish I had one positive thing to say about it, but I don't.

Maybe I just don't get it. Maybe I just don't know a good thing when I see it. Literally everything I like to do on the site is either hampered or has been removed (or i just can't find it or figure it out) by the new setup.

I wonder if site use by members is up or down or unchanged since the switch.

The old software was no longer supported, so a change was inevitable. Kinda like an old version of Windows, keep using it after it's not supported and you risk a lot of security. Moreso to an online forum with thousands of users than your personal computer.

I feel the same way a PM is or was a private message that was....well private between the two individuals that have pm'd each other to conversate. Although now its not private and you have to list your email address and whatever your talking about for the whole world to see.

It's just not private anymore and anyone can look at what your talking about. I really don't have anything to hide I just don't think its the whole worlds business on what I wish to talk about or conversate on. Yes I like the old style pm method better myself also. I'm on several different gun/knife forums and none of them are like this a PM is a PM not a WM...ie. World message. Yes I'll send you a WM if you like sir. :rolleyes:

What are you going on about here? :confused: You are 100% mistaken; Private "conversations" are still completely private between you and the other party. ;) Unless you invite someone else. If you're talking about visitor messages, which not only can you disable if you prefer, but have always been visible to the public... o_O

Dan, I apologize for steering your thread off topic but the last two posts remind me of something that I've been curious about.

To anyone who might now the answer: When I click on a members avatar a little box comes up with several options. One of those options is "Send Message". Does using that option result in a Private Conversation or does it result in a Profile Message?

Dan, I apologize for steering your thread off topic but the last two posts remind me of something that I've been curious about.

To anyone who might now the answer: When I click on a members avatar a little box comes up with several options. One of those options is "Send Message". Does using that option result in a Private Conversation or does it result in a Profile Message?
Thanks for helping out sir.

private message (conversation)
Thanks I'm a dinosaur so this new fangled stuff always confuses an old self taught computer person like me.

I'm not quite a dinosaur; but I didn't grow up with a computer... nor did I take any computer courses in school. Think I bought my first computer 15 yrs ago (I resisted cell phones until 9 yrs ago).

The old software was no longer supported, so a change was inevitable. Kinda like an old version of Windows, keep using it after it's not supported and you risk a lot of security. Moreso to an online forum with thousands of users than your personal computer.

I get that, and my post was probably a bit harsher than it could have been. I do kind of like the ability to like posts.
I know I am glad I don't have to manage this beast, and I do believe that Spark is trying to do the best he can by us. I'm still here and don't intend on going anywhere.

Yup, spark screwed us big time with this alleged better format.
It may be better for him but for those of us that actually use this forum the new software sucks donkey snot.

Back