Emergency pack

Based on what we're seeing play out in the flooded streets of New Orleans, would anyone revise what they'd previously though they should put into an emergency pack?

Concentrated food, some kind of water purification, first aid equipment ...

Waterproof baggies of cigarettes and matches for bartering and bribes.

And maybe game-boys.

Let the truth be known:

I was working as a Nurse in the Tri County area south of LA Ca. I attended a Disaster Preparedness training as part of my responsibility as being a responder in times of emergency. First, San Bernardino was build over a drained swamp and the water table was about 6 feet below the surface- the city would liquify under the estimated 8 richter scale quake.

The rule was to have sleeping materials, a few matches and flashlights, 3 days supply of food and water, and that folks would just wait in their backyards for help.

I knew it all was a crock. Half of San Bernardino was on welfare. They'd come looting, tootin and shooting to steal whatever. The city itself would burn to the ground. I figured I'd just head to the hills. I knew where all the water was and could watch the glow of the fires in the valley below.

munk

better share, etp. Word is that Bruise has gotten him one of those wrist mounted crossbows...and he not afraid to use it :eek:

Jake

A boat.

Other than having a hundred gallons of water and high ground, I can't imagine how any of my "emergency" planning would really have helped in this situation.

I would have gotten the heck out of Dodge with my family. The reports before the Hurricane were not sugar coating it. They said get out.

In all fairness, it did form very quickly, so there was not as much early warning as there might have been in a "normal" hurricane. What is also alarming, is that these storms seem to be getting bigger and meaner. Anyone have an idea why? :confused:

Bri in Chi said:
In all fairness, it did form very quickly, so there was not as much early warning as there might have been in a "normal" hurricane. What is also alarming, is that these storms seem to be getting bigger and meaner. Anyone have an idea why? :confused:

Yes, it did come up quickly, but hundreds of thousands of people got out of NO. I'm just saying that I would try to get out, rather than weather the storm. My Aunt (88yo) and her daughter's family got in their van and drove to her Son's house in another state, leaving everything but some clothes behind. My Aunt's house and her daughter's house are apparently gone.

I heard some science types on TV saying that big storms are cyclical in nature, so we probably have other bad storms to look forward to.

Bri?

The Gulf waters are much warmer this season than they have been in others. The heat fuels the storms, so they can gain massive momentum, like Katrina, which actually went over Florida slowed down, and then gained enormous strength as it hit. (It WAS Katrina that went over Florida, wasn't it?)

Had it not shifted a bit to the East, gawdknows what might have happened to NewOrleans.

The Mississippi folks are wandering around in shock. Local reports here say Brett Farve has sent two plane-loads of emergency supplies down there. He and Steve McNair also went in to send a truck of water, etc., down.

Communication is non-existent in New Orleans. The Blame Game has already started.

I'm waiting for Texans to start complaining about the 50,000 Louisiana refugees who may not want to go back home. Some folks walked and hitch-hiked there while the roads were still open. We will have a secondary effect of this migration.

I'm kind of choking on the words of G.W., but the FEMA guys are killing themselves to save and restore.

Three days without food and water are the stuff of riots...in any society.

It looked like some people used axes to hack through there roofs to reach
"safety" one guy used a shotgun to blast a hole.

I would have a katadyn water purifier, towels, ephedrine and a couple of
good flashlights. I also have a Ar-7 and a couple of boxes of stingers and
moderators. and tagamet. You never know what you may eat. :eek:

I just put matches, spices, and a recipe on Young Bert's collar.

Here puppypuppypuppy.

Kismet said:
I just put matches, spices, and a recipe on Young Bert's collar.

Here puppypuppypuppy.

Yeah raw dog would be a little chewy, I had better trade the tagamet for
some Nexium. :D

My hiking pack has basic survival gear (light, fire, sleep shelter, knife, paracord, first aid, a camelback for water). I'd throw in some MRE's and a water purifier, and a few mags for the 1911. Maybe a few cigars and a book to keep me occupied.

I hadn't considered firearms as absolutely necessary in a pack like this...until now.

Choice would be based on utility for repelling boarders, not necessarily for getting meat for the stew. (Although I suppose that one could combine the two in the interests of efficiency. ;) )

Anone mention cash? Could come in handy, but not for shopping at stores.
ATMs don't work when the power is out, and who wants to take a check?

If you choose to arm yourself against looters, be mentally prepared to shoot early on, before those unfriendlies get too close, take your gun, and stick it up your patoo. During harsh times, your personal comfort zone ought to increase by a factor of ten, and I for one believe the crazier the other side believes you are, the safer for you and yours...roll your eyes, snort, and point the damn gun in their general direction.... I know you may have thought this thru before, but Previous Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance....being diabetic, I have *several* caches miles apart.

Back