Emergency truck knife?

If you were to pick a knife to keep in the truck as an emergency knife for under $40 what would it be? This is obviously something you don't mind beating on and is for situations if you got stranded unexpectedly and all you happened to be carrying that day was a light duty gentleman's folder not suited for heavy tasks. Size isn't a big factor here because you would rarely, if ever, EDC this knife, but might would have to walk a few miles carrying it.

My first two thoughts here are Rat 1 or Utilitac.

Under $40? Becker BK14 comes to mind. Personally, my car knife is a spyderco schempp rock.

I keep this one in my truck, it was a little more than $40 but not much. It is actually one of the smoothest flippers I own. I do need to keep a fixed blade as well, my Izula II would be a good choice.

I'd say a kershaw camp 10, if it is just going to sit in your car.

Cold Steel has some great options for truck knives in that price range
Check out the med/lg voyager for a good solid folder perfect for the truck. Or Recon series with G10 for a little more.

My choice Cold Steel lg Voyager clip point
Fixed blade: Becker (whichever you like most)

2013-09-23075626_zpsfb818081.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
You should check out mora knives. They are really inexpensive(sub $20) but really high value with carbon or stainless steel. All of them are great but i would reccomend the Mora Companion for a emergency truck knife.

Honestly, since I'll already have a couple of folders on me for more delicate tasks, I like to keep big knives in the trunk. A decent machete will not cost much and will take a lot of punishment.

I do a lot of travelling by car (not my own vehicle most of the time), and I've put together a couple of basic kits to drop in the trunk or glovebox. I used a simple 12" Tramontina machete for a while (later on replaced by a BK-9 or a Machax) and it got me out of a few jams. I put a ridiculously sharp convex edge on it. I'm pretty sure it was under 10 bucks. You can get something much nicer from Condor in your price range, but I like the little Tramontina.

20140213_135216.jpg

Well...if it's being kept in the truck (not carried) for emergency use, I would definitely go with a sturdy fixed blade over a folder. There are many options of course, but for $40 or less, the Beckar Eskabar isn't a bad choice...a useful length and sturdily constructed.

I keep a vic. Trekker in my center console. Not beefy but offers several tools for different scenarios.

Leatherman sits in my center console and has come in handy on more then one occation. For a larger fixed blade that would be great for prying doors open and cutting seatbelts a Becker BK3 would be the choice for me. It's a best of a knife though. Could chop through a downed tree in pinch also. They run about $80 new though.

I keep a Mora, leatherman wave and folding shovel in my truck.

Folding?! I have two real shovels in my truck, 100' of rope, a tow strap, fire extinguisher and for knives I have a kershaw speed bump, a SAK and a mora, also have jumper cables and a tool roll, a couple blankets and a tarp I made out of dog food bags, multiple flashlights and a first aid kit. All of this behind the bench seat in my standard cab. In the bed I have a spare car battery (in one of those marine battery boxes) which I make sure is topped up about once a month, 2 full size road cones and 180# of sand, not because my 3/4 ton chevy 4x4 that weighs 5500# needs the extra weight of 3 sandbags, they're there to dump for traction should I need it.

Last edited:
Stainless Mora Companion and a Cold Steel hawk or kukri machete. They don't cost much, perform well, and if found half a year later semi rusty, not an issue.

I just toss in a spare knife that I don't like in the trunk or car in case I need to fix something, preferably a multi-tool. If I were to throw something in the trunk it go where the spare tire is along with the rest of my tools in there, if your good at Tetris it turns out you can a whole lot of tools and equipment where they store the spare tire I know I did. And I had room to spare for a couple spare energy drinks in case I get tired driving and a jacket.

Might not be too bad of an idea to check on the knife once a year or so, after 2 years of being in my car my CRKT m16 10z started to rust and it was in the coin tray.

Last edited:
At that price point I'd say the Condor Rodan or the Condor Varan . Both with 3/16" thick carbon steel blades and can be bought for $40 or less .

HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS !

I have a $10 fixed blade skinning knife I got out of a bargain bin at a tractor supply. Mystery steel and terrible sheath, but it's surprisingly solid and I could care less if I lose it. Came in handy last deer season as well.

I got the BM triage secured under steering wheel, in the event of a crash. It has seatbelt cutter and glass breaker, plus a great blade. I also carry the dpx heft, for other emergency uses.

Back