Emergency truck knife?

You could get a Spyderco Tenacious, one of their budget line folders for right in that price range.

Kershaw's got some great folders you can get in that range as well. The Shallot and Blur come to mind.

I own a Rat 2 and have owned a Spyderco Persistence and handled the Tenacious before. I have to say I prefer the Rat over either both in ergos and blade steel, and the Rat cuts like a laser. The Utilitac is appealing but don't really care for tantoes, and not a fan of the recurve either. There have been a ton of good suggestions here.

My truck has a seatbelt cutter knife clipped on the post trim,a Schrade lb-7UH in the glove box and a Leatherman in the console.Also a twin bit axe in the tool box :yawn:Never know when your going to get stuck in the Northern Maine woods.

I got the BM triage secured under steering wheel, in the event of a crash. It has seatbelt cutter and glass breaker, plus a great blade

I keep the same knife in my jeep. while ive never had to use the glass breaker (thank goodness), it did come in handy when I rolled my wifes car on its top and needed to cut myself out of the seatbelt.

Personally, I wouldn't go with a mystery steel knife that you hate. That makes no sense to me if it's supposed to be your 'go to' if something happens.
I keep a Mora classic in my pickup. If I need to cut and replace hoses, clean and replace a gasket, or just about anything else, it works.
Also, since I can't monitor my vehicle 24/7, it's inexpensive and easy to replace. It's also a highly trusted bush knife and a personal favorite.

Find your most comfortable, 'go to' knife at home, and get one of those. If that's a peanut, get another, if it's a busse battle mistress, well, get another. Just remember, this a 'what if' kind of thing, and 'if something goes terribly wrong' and I'm replacing heater hoses on the side of the freeway in the middle of nowhere, I want something I'M comfortable using. Been there, done that.
C

If you were to pick a knife to keep in the truck as an emergency knife for under $40 what would it be? This is obviously something you don't mind beating on and is for situations if you got stranded unexpectedly and all you happened to be carrying that day was a light duty gentleman's folder not suited for heavy tasks. Size isn't a big factor here because you would rarely, if ever, EDC this knife, but might would have to walk a few miles carrying it.

My first two thoughts here are Rat 1 or Utilitac.

I hate my Mora, that's why it sits in my glovebox.

Good news is that it would likely be adequate for all my needs until I was able to get back to civilization.

I keep a Vic Climber in my car. No "real" emergency knives for me. A knife somewhere in the car is useless when the car is upsidedown off the road.. The knife in your pocket is more usefull for this type of task.

Just my 2 Cents.

A knife somewhere in the car is useless when the car is upsidedown off the road
not if you keep it in the console. im not trying to bicker, just clarifying how that particular knife was within reach when I had an accident

Last edited:
I don't carry light duty gents' knives, even dressed up. Anything I own and carry is capable of doing more than the usual day-to-day stuff, so that's not a worry to me. I keep an Izula on my Maxped Proteus pack. It sits on the floor behind my seat with the knife, sharpener, and a few other things in it.

I have a CS Recon 1 for my work truck knife. I don't carry or use it much but it's there if I forget to put my regular carry knife in my pocket that day. I also have a SOG fast hawk in the toolbox. For under $20 why not?
Then I have a LM Charge in my Mustang.

At that price point I'd say the Condor Rodan or the Condor Varan . Both with 3/16" thick carbon steel blades and can be bought for $40 or less .

HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS !

This. Condor puts out a good knife for a great price.

I always carry an extra folder in the glove compartment and CS bowie machete is also a perfect truck knife for me.
DSCF0142_zpsaf78adfa.jpg

I don't carry light duty gents' knives, even dressed up. Anything I own and carry is capable of doing more than the usual day-to-day stuff, so that's not a worry to me. I keep an Izula on my Maxped Proteus pack. It sits on the floor behind my seat with the knife, sharpener, and a few other things in it.

I'll have a BK9 on me at my co-worker's wedding tonight to be on the safe side along with a Cold Steel Safe Keeper in case a bridesmaid tries to get too handsy.

I'll have a BK9 on me at my co-worker's wedding tonight to be on the safe side along with a Cold Steel Safe Keeper in case a bridesmaid tries to get too handsy.

:p Lol... sweet. Gotta watch those bridesmaids. Even in a suit (because I'm the one that does the marryin' and buryin'), I have one of my BRKTs in a pocket sheath, either an Essential or a Northstar EDC. Both of those will handle more than "light" chores and they'll look good doing it.

Lightest I may go in a suit is a BM 707. Classy looks and can get the job done if some hammerin down is needed. Handle is not ideal for heavy work but decent.

I have an $20.00 Mtech fake Cold Steel TM coming to replace the first two I returned for being junk. Yeah I know, what makes me think a third one is going to be any different? I don't, they're all junk except the last one had a seam in the steel that wouldn't even qualify it as a tool box knife.
Anyway, thats whats going in my truck full time, something I'm not going to wake up at night realizing I forgot to bring in.

Back