Emergency truck knife?

I bought a Gerber Bear Grylls serrated fixed blade (one of the second run at least that did not have the issues the first run had with the pommel breaking off easily) when I just started collecting knives. They bring scorn from a lot of people on this forum but hey, it's just a knife. And I like orange.

So now I keep it in the truck. It has a fire starter and a whistle on it, and an insulated handle. Resale is nonexistent, so I can't get rid of it. It was close to $40 and I'm not afraid to beat the hell out of it for any reason. It's a $40 knife, after all.

So if something were to happen, at least I'd have some basic things with me like a fire starter, a whistle and a knife!

Who knows, I see where it could be more valuable to me in certain situations than having one of my Sebenzas instead.
Hard to imagine me sitting around admiring my Sebenza while I was freezing because I couldn't start a fire. Or not having a whistle if I was trapped in the truck after a wreck under an overpass. Highly unlikely, but I've seen crazy situations like that on the news, so it does happen.

Plus, if it gets stolen out of the truck, it's not a Sebenza that was lost! :)

Since it's in the truck, why limit yourself to a folder? In my truck, I keep a KA-BAR Fighting/Utility and a Mora HD Companion (and a Leatherman Wave for good measure).

When my dad an I use the truck I always take my Condor Bushlore. We always end up on some crazy adventure.

I have a LM 200 Supertool in the console, a CRKT Muk in the door, and a Sykco 511 in the trunk with the tools and spare clothes. So I would say a good fixed blade you can trust and a multitool. I like the idea of a glass breaker/seatbelt cutter attached under the steering column. Thanks for the idea!

Not having an extensive fixed blade collection, I'm liking the Mora Companion and the Condor Rodan. It doesn't look like the Mora HD Companion can be had in stainless unless I'm wrong here? Unless you Mora users don't feel the HD is necessary.

Currently I'm carrying the Buck 110 as my glove box back up folder, it's too heavy for EDC but perfect to throw it in the glove box and use it when needed, and I like to use my CS bowie machete for my truck fixed blade and then I also carry an EDC folder clipped to my pocket.
584c7a5e-3eae-4b33-b73e-6ca60b007fde_zpsd2f75dc3.jpg

Last edited:
Back