Emerson Barracuda!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have allot of higher end knives and just wanted to know if Emerson are worth the price tag. I'm asking cause compared to what's out there for the money they seem really far behind on materials and fit and finish. Not trying to be a dick just asking

I have allot of higher end knives and just wanted to know if Emerson are worth the price tag. I'm asking cause compared to what's out there for the money they seem really far behind on materials and fit and finish. Not trying to be a dick just asking

If you search for forums, there are a lot of threads discussing that question.

Personally? Yes. I've owned more expensive knives, and I find myself babying them. I've owned knives with better cosmetic fit and finish, even at the same or lower price point; ditto higher-end steels. But my Emersons are tools, and I'm never afraid to use them as tools. I like their quirks, the cosmetic "roughness" of them appeals to me, and I like that -- barring a few special models -- they use washers, not bearings, don't flip, and have a strong detent.

After five years of rotating through ~50-60 knives (not a lot compared to some!), I keep coming back to Emersons. They're tough, capable, easy to disassemble, incredibly comfortable in-hand, and I love the aesthetics of them.

Last edited:
Well Said Dadpool Dadpool !
Couldn't agree more of every point you made especially the first one :D
I love the simplicity of a Emerson , the feel in my hand of most models. The tactical and user aspect of them and I like Ernie Emerson and have much respect for him bringing Emerson knives to life for all of us to enjoy and love .
I to have made full circles back to Emerson knives and each time I return I find more and more things I like about them :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Dadpool nailed it!

I was at the cemetery today visiting my grandfather and the hole in front of his stone was filled in and I wanted to plant his flowers. My CQC-15 made short work of it, and the blade finish got scratched to hell. That's what it's for. It's a tool to get any job done.

If I had my Zaan on me I'd have been fumbling about for a stick, metal scrap, or any other way to carve the hole.

You can score an Emerson for half price in the Exchange if you're price sensitive about a knife you'll use, but after you really use it I'll bet you buy the next one full pop without thinking twice. I know I did.

I have user Emerson's and light users and my collector/Fondling only lol . Like all my knives they fall into different categories.
Also on a Side note the 5 Emerson's I've bought new and some used since my circle back to Emersons the fit and finish has been outstanding on everyone including blade centering.
Another thing I like is the break in period that makes them your own/personalozed like your bonding with them and how Emerson smooth they get with that thick smooth as butter action different from most knives that I've grown very fond of down to the detent clicks when opening and closing .

If you search for forums, there are a lot of threads discussing that question.

Personally? Yes. I've owned more expensive knives, and I find myself babying them. I've owned knives with better cosmetic fit and finish, even at the same or lower price point; ditto higher-end steels. But my Emersons are tools, and I'm never afraid to use them as tools. I like their quirks, the cosmetic "roughness" of them appeals to me, and I like that -- barring a few special models -- they use washers, not bearings, don't flip, and have a strong detent.

After five years of rotating through ~50-60 knives (not a lot compared to some!), I keep coming back to Emersons. They're tough, capable, easy to disassemble, incredibly comfortable in-hand, and I love the aesthetics of them.
And I get that. That's actually one of the reasons why I was thinking about getting one is I wouldn't mind beating in it cause of the looks not the best materials or f&f. But the reason I'm thinking about not getting one is for the same reasons. If the materials fit and finish not being that good I feel like they are way over priced. I can get a full ti frame lock flipper for $100. When Emersons charging $200+ for g10 and 154cm. You can get a full ti frame lock in m390 for $200. I actually got my reate horizon D ti for $200 used. Zt had s35vn full ti 0450 that's $160 new and made in the us. It just hard for me to see where Emerson gets the $200+ price tag from

That being said I kinda still want to try one to see for myself. I was told definitely don't go new by used so u can get your money back if you don't like it.

Are they think behind the edge? Anyone ever put calipers behind the edge bevil before?

What would u guys recommend for your first Emerson? I like something in the 3.3 inch blade length or more. Also not a fan of tanto blades I like something that's a good slicer so not real think in blade stock and definitely not think behind the edge. Id prefer a V grind but if I can turn a chisel grind into a v I can work with that to.

Sorry to hate on Emerson a little more here. But when Emerson does a chisel grind meaning flat on one side he puts it on the wrong side just for looks. That will definitely reduce performance and would kinda piss me off so that would be out.

Sorry for bringing this up here but I really would like to here your recommendations.

Thanks vinny

For your first Emerson I would highly reccomend a Sheep Dog and you can get it in a spear point or bowie like mine. I've had two this being my second one and fit and finish is really nice and very smooth action .
ustL74P.jpg

I'll look into it want to check out the blade length and Is it a v grind. Looks interesting tho

Id prefer a V grind but if I can turn a chisel grind into a v I can work with that to.

Outside of customs, the moajority of Emerson models have a V grind for the primary bevel and a chisel grind for the secondary (edge) bevel. One notable exception is the CQC-7B (and BW), which is among the very few with a chisel primary and secondary. So if you want a V grind (with a chisel edge), you've got most of the line to choose from.

My recommendation for a first has a tanto blade, which you mentioned not being interested in. I'm curious to see what other folks recommend.

Isn't the sheepdog a smaller version of another one of his knives? I might be thinking about something else maybe the cqc8

Last question then I really would like to here your guys opinion on a first Emerson. Has anyone used emersons warranty for blade replacement etc? That's a big deal to me cause I tend to be hard on knives. I've broken 2 zt knives and there warranty is really good

If the warranty is there. If like to here opinions on a first Emerson. 3.5 to 4 inch blade that has a v grind primary bevel

Thanks for your guys reply so far

I've never needed service or any type of warranty work but have heard they have excellent CD.

TheFactor I like the look of the sheep dog allot actually. Did you ever have a cqc8 before? That's one I've been looking at for a long time never pulled the trigger on before. But I definitely see a Emerson in my future as soon as I find one I want on bf

My Commander is my truck knife. It stays clipped to the emergency bag in my truck for general use or emergencies. If you want to slice a tomato there are better choices, but if you want to cut a hole in a car roof, an Emerson is your knife.
DSC_0002-X3.jpg

Ironbut Lol. I think there's a better chance of me cutting a tomato then my cars roof. There's not many knives I'd be worried about putting threw a car roof anyway. That's more about the steel then thickness imo

Nice knife tho

For 3.3 size blade I vote for a CQC-7 A blade. It's not the most attractive compared to some others, but it's the perfect size and really does have the most usable blade of any of the models (A-100 being a close second, but A-100 does not have the wave that I love).

I know I typically carry my CQC-15 when I know work needs to be done, and otherwise I carry a CQC-7 B-blade, but the A has been taking over from the B just because the blade shape is more useful for daily tasks, like cutting a lime for my wife's Gin & Tonic after a long CDN Thanksgiving day with the kids. Real operator sh1t ;)

modrs8F.jpg

But seeing as this is a thread about the Barracuda, it does seem to have a very useful blade too with the rounded tanto. I can see it being a good EDC blade shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back