Emerson Clones are for Suckers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Fear not, my fellow knife-collecting friends; a few very stubborn Emerson fans have convinced me to spend the extra money on a real Emerson. My Mini CQC-15 just came in, and it is by far the best folder that I own, although I don't care for the liner lock.

Uh, I guess if you still want to post in this thread, you can just list any Emersons that you own and/or recommend.

Last edited:
1) You're not just paying for the name.
2) The materials are much more than "slightly" better
3) Any clone is an illegal copy, IE you'd be supporting those who violate copyright and patent law.

Anyone who will tell you that a "clone" is anywhere as good as a real Emerson is either a liar or doesn't know knives at all.

Why would you even WANT to buy a clone of an Emerson? Emerson Knives is one of the last true American Companies, you're paying for a name,yes,but it is a name that has many years of blood,sweat and tears behind it. Emerson warranties all of his knives and he makes them with some of the best materials, If you want a cheap Emerson style Commander,which there are tons of them out there..i.e. Ebay, then go ahead, but it is ludicrous to even suggest a thing. Look at the price pple pay for Chris Reeve and/or Strider, most stock production Emersons are far less expensive and they are just as good, if not better than a Strider. If you can't afford an Emerson I understand that but think of this way: Why buy a knife for 20 dollars and it break and just keep buying more of the same knife when you can spend 90 or 100 dollars and buy one that will last you for years. However his knives are primarily used for defense and not utility, the Hard Wear series has what you want if you're looking for more of a utlity knife, and they are a little cheaper.
BTW most of the pple on Bladeforums,like myself,are gearwhores, and will tell you that 100 bucks for a good knife is cheap, try a couple 100 for a good survival knife.

Last edited:
Why would you even WANT to buy a clone of an Emerson? Emerson Knives is one of the last true American Companies, you're paying for a name,yes,but it is a name that has many years of blood,sweat and tears behind it. Emerson warranties all of his knives and he makes them with some of the best materials, If you want a cheap Emerson style Commander,which there are tons of them out there..i.e. Ebay, then go ahead, but it is ludacris to even suggest a thing. Look at the price pple pay for Chris Reeve and/or Strider, most stock production Emersons are far less expensive and they are just as good, if not better than a Strider. If you can't afford an Emerson I understand that but think of this way: Why buy a knife for 20 dollars and it break and just keep buying more of the same knife when you can spend 90 or 100 dollars and buy one that will last you for years. However his knives are primarily used for defense and not utility, the Hard Wear series has what you want if you're looking for more of a utlity knife, and they are a little cheaper.
BTW most of the pple on Bladeforums,like myself,are gearwhores, and will tell you that 100 bucks for a good knife is cheap, try a couple 100 for a good survival knife.

1) You're not just paying for the name.
2) The materials are much more than "slightly" better
3) Any clone is an illegal copy, IE you'd be supporting those who violate copyright and patent law.

Anyone who will tell you that a "clone" is anywhere as good as a real Emerson is either a liar or doesn't know knives at all.

Well, in that case, which one(s) do you own and/or recommend? I am seriously considering the CQC 15.

I own/have owned the following:

Kershaw Emerson Auto Commander
CQC-8
Super CQC-8
Combat Karambit
CQC-14
CQC-13
Super Raven
A-100
CQC-7W

I'd recommend whichever speaks to you, but lean towards smaller instead of larger and towards more traditional (IE not karambit). A Commander or CQC-7 would be classic but you can't go wrong with any really.

I really appreciate the quality that Emerson puts into their knives, but I just can't justify spending upwards of $100 on a knife, because it seems like I'm only paying for the name (and slightly better materials) after that point. (i.e. 154CM vs. AUS8; G10 vs. Grivory; etc...)

Does anyone know if any Emerson clones exist, or knives that are similar to Emerson knives, specifically the Super Karambit or the CQC series? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh no you just didn't.... :eek:

IN the Emerson forum itself?

Well, it was ballsy, that's for sure. Welcome to Bladeforums! :D

Lol. He must need a wheelbarrel to carry them around in.

Seriously though, if you want to buy a knockoff, 1 don't do it and 2 don't ask people in the emerson forum for help.

What is your price range? If the CQC 15 is around $175, did you want something around $100?

Edit: Fear not, my fellow knife-collecting friends; a few very stubborn Emerson diehards have convinced me to spend the extra money on a real Emerson.

Not sure if all of the people who commented on this are diehards and/or stubborn. Buying knockoffs doesn't do a bit of good for the knife industry or even yourself.

Reactions: Mo2

Lol. He must need a wheelbarrel to carry them around in.

Seriously though, if you want to buy a knockoff, 1 don't do it and 2 don't ask people in the emerson forum for help.

Oh, you are both just so hilarious. :grumpy: Read the updated post.

the key with emersons is to buy them used. You can save an unbelievable amount of money that way. my edc is a combat karambit and a lefty mini cqc-15. best combo i've ever carried.

EE, I'm glad you changed your mind. We were just razzing you a bit, and my welcome was actually sincere. You're going to find that knife people are protective of brands, and with the exception of a few folks, Chinese knock-offs are NOT valued among the membership at Bladeforums. Already, some great American cutlery companies like Schrade and Camillus have gone under, due in part to cheap, imitation knives coming out of China.

I hope you find a quality knife that suits you.

EE, I'm glad you changed your mind. We were just razzing you a bit, and my welcome was actually sincere. You're going to find that knife people are protective of brands, and with the exception of a few folks, Chinese knock-offs are NOT valued among the membership at Bladeforums. Already, some great American cutlery companies like Schrade and Camillus have gone under, due in part to cheap, imitation knives coming out of China.

I hope you find a quality knife that suits you.

+1 to what he said. Was trying to think of how to say something along those lines, beat me to it. Welcome btw.

the key with emersons is to buy them used. You can save an unbelievable amount of money that way. my edc is a combat karambit and a lefty mini cqc-15. best combo i've ever carried.

HUGE +1 to this.

Good desicion.. The money I spent on my Emerson was some of the best money I've ever spent... Mine is over 10 years old, has been carried every day and looks just about brand new... Built like a tank and just keeps on truckin'...

I have owned my CQC-10 for just over a year and it has been an excellent knife with no problems whatsoever.

Why would you even WANT to buy a clone of an Emerson? Emerson Knives is one of the last true American Companies, you're paying for a name,yes,but it is a name that has many years of blood,sweat and tears behind it. Emerson warranties all of his knives and he makes them with some of the best materials, If you want a cheap Emerson style Commander,which there are tons of them out there..i.e. Ebay, then go ahead, but it is ludacris to even suggest a thing. Look at the price pple pay for Chris Reeve and/or Strider, most stock production Emersons are far less expensive and they are just as good, if not better than a Strider. If you can't afford an Emerson I understand that but think of this way: Why buy a knife for 20 dollars and it break and just keep buying more of the same knife when you can spend 90 or 100 dollars and buy one that will last you for years. However his knives are primarily used for defense and not utility, the Hard Wear series has what you want if you're looking for more of a utlity knife, and they are a little cheaper.

Easy there big fella. Not everyone on eBay is selling crap. Bought good stuff from good people. As far as Emerson is concerned, even Prestige dealers like Action Concepts sell there. You just need to be a tad smart and check who you are buying from.

Well, the CQC-15 is a combination of both of those, so I guess I really don't have to choose between the two.

The CQC-15 isn't really a combination of the -7 and the Commander. It's more like a Commander, with a different shape handle.

I own several CQC-7's in various forms, but I don't really care for them. They were just too good a deal at any given time to pass up. I own several Commanders, and absolutely love them. I own one CQC-15, and had the blade reground, and the "tanto" edge removed. I just can't see the use for it. Now the knife is what I was looking for.

Don't overlook the "mini" knives, either. The mini-commander is an absolutely outstanding pocket knife.

Easy there big fella. Not everyone on eBay is selling crap. Bought good stuff from good people. As far as Emerson is concerned, even Prestige dealers like Action Concepts sell there. You just need to be a tad smart and check who you are buying from.

No i never said that all of Ebay is selling crap and I have purchased a few Emersons from Ebay,like my CQC-13 but you know as well as I do there is SOOO much crap on ebay that unsuspecting pple buy and then they hate that particular brand for forever and a day. Not shitting on Ebay but when that happens, thats when I have a problem, and I agree with you when u say check who ur buying from but there have been alot of clever fakes. BTW how u know I was big?lol just screwing w/ u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back