Emerson CQC-7: an ongoing review

I am surprised to see the coating wearing off so quickly
What have you been using the knife for?

i had a CQC8 that i have only use for basic (light) EDC tasks and it never had any marks
Last year I have abused a DLC PM2 for construction work and the DLC haven’t wear off as much
Mostly AC installs, duct work rough in and scraping various gaskets and wax rings I come across fixing my own stuff.
The coating reminds of the old Cold Steel Teflon coating that comes off easier than spray paint.

Current state of CQC 7
aacf94f517b1b5d0fbb865c100240a2c821b72be.jpg

fd65ef9cacea335f67667566c28956b0717f27ea.jpg

2acf5a784938a87ecdd7d7ceb5aacb1b0cf8d370.jpg

tumblr_q3jmdhCX0o1w97nd1o1_500.jpg

Opens beer bottles easily using the wave opener like this
I recommend a reverse grip when lifting the cap so as to hold the blade closed
otherwise the blade tries to open like a flipper tab
tumblr_q3jmd4P6xn1w97nd1o1_500.jpg

I had a Mud Jug but I prefer now to spit in a disposable can and the CQC 7
is useful and fun for doing that
two cuts on either side of the opening tab and then use the butt end of the knife to swing the top down

The knife is holding up and it sits on my desk to be used for the above mentioned tasks but not much else

Interesting outcome. My first “high end” knife was a cqc7 that my dad bought me back in 2000. I used it for everything under the sun. Cutting shingles, opening boxes, prying stuff open. It has been sharpened many many times and even got butchered by a “sharpener” at a knife shop back in the 2000’s. Broke the tip off prying a stick can of wax open. My coating looks bad, but it took many many years for it to look the way it does. And my lockbar barely moved in all the years I used it. Kind of makes me wonder if the standards are different now compared to when I got mine in 2000. Makes me question buying another.

VVAoJs6.jpg

NW9Vy59.jpg

kwjU0jJ.jpg

Last edited:
Benchmade version was best,regret not buying it,otherwise i do not want to pay this much for knife that has sticky lock that goes all the way to the liner when flicked.

Yeah, the CQC7 is one knife I have love/hate relationship with.

I doubt if I will ever get one.
There are just to many accounts of lock problems.

Besides, the blade grind does does not work for me.

Shame, really. I want to like the knife. A lot.

Kershaw and zero tolerance have better version of these designs with better price too,zero tolerance emersons are awesome and protech has very nice automatic version of emersons,kershaw versions are not bad at all and inexpensive.Emerson handles are some of the best and most comfortable of the ones i handled.

Kershaw and zero tolerance have better version of these designs with better price too,zero tolerance emersons are awesome and protech has very nice automatic version of emersons,kershaw versions are not bad at all and inexpensive.Emerson handles are some of the best and most comfortable of the ones i handled.
If they ever produce a CQC7 I’m
interested.

Back