Emerson CQC-7 Flipper Tanto

I just saw this under the "New Arrivals" tab at BHQ. It's a flipper CQC-7 but it also has S-35VN steel! :eek:

Yes it does but only on this model. Perhaps something to do with the hidden stop pin design.

That flipper looks ridicolously out of place on a 7. It looks uncomfortable as well...

LOL! The sharkfin flipper. It works and does the job of a handguard. Ease of use would describe it best. Large enough to not miss on the pull. Not so small that it doesn't work effectively as a guard. Ya like it or ya don't.

Me no rikey. At all.

Hope this doesn't mean the classic 7 will become extinct.

Cool they used some new steel. But, after all these years refusing to "upgrade" from 154cm, you gotta wonder why Ernest suddenly decided to go with something else. The consistency of materials was always kinda part of the whole "Emerson Thing."

Thx.

I like the idea/function of the guard... still rolling the whole around in my head.

They got me but only because they kept the disc. OK, I'm in.

I want a satin blade though. Why are we coating S-35VN ?

I doubt it would replace the original 7. While the design of the flipper may be pure function it is rather peculiar looking. I like the new choice of steel though, it was about time they gave us another option.

Just as long as we don't start seeking carbon fiber all over the place and deep carry pocket clips, we'll let this incident slide this one time! Ha-ha.

I like the idea/function of the guard... still rolling the whole around in my head.

To me, a guard on a folding knife is pretty asinine.

Even if stabbing with a short blade was an effective fight stopper, its also a great way to defeat a lock.

A dedicated guard on anything besides a fixed blade with a Philosophy Of Use specifically for stabbing is like adding NOS to a stock VW Beetle.

I get what you mean... the way I see it, it keeps my hand from sliding up the grip... especially with the 7's style of handle.

I see this model as EKI reaching out to a new group of knife buyers, but the roots of what makes an Emerson, an,Emerson are still there.

Whoops. Yep, agreed for possible slips during certain utility maneuvers. Bit of added security.

I was referring to defensive use and should have specified.

Still like the plain ole 7 ( "A" for me ) the best.

Its the knife that put me on the knife knut map when i was a wee lad just discovering real knives. Lusted after that 7 for YEARS, and finally got it the third decade of my life.

A true classic !

Just as long as we don't start seeking carbon fiber all over the place and deep carry pocket clips, we'll let this incident slide this one time! Ha-ha.

I could deal with carbon fiber. The "deep throat" (yep i said it) clips would be an instant deal breaker.

Whoops. Yep, agreed for possible slips during certain utility maneuvers. Bit of added security.

I was referring to defensive use and should have specified.

Still like the plain ole 7 ( "A" for me ) the best.

Its the knife that put me on the knife knut map when i was a wee lad just discovering real knives. Lusted after that 7 for YEARS, and finally got it the third decade of my life.

A true classic !

No worries, I understood what you meant. I like the 7 as well; had the super... since gifted to someone dear to me. I've been looking at the "A" as well--just a more practical blade shape... though I have to say, if the new flipper was a super, it would be very tempting to replace the one I gave. Very tempting. I edc a CQC-13, plain edge/ black blade, and I absolutely love that knife. Just a few swipes on the golden stone and it shaves with absolute ease. S35vn has been hit and miss with me... and I generally am very pleased with EKI's 154cm, so, not a big deal for me. As you said, 'a true classic'... and that is enough for me.

Well, i believe it was Socrates who once said, "One cannot have too many Emersons."

(Emersi).

Words for the ages . . .

Ha! I'm a philosophy prof, Greek, and one of my grandpas was named Socrates.... And if it was not him who uttered such sage words, their speaker certainly knew something about Emersons' appeal!

Last edited:
Back