Emerson pivot lubrication, what do you use?

Heirphoto

Gold Member
I know that new knives come with that thick copper impregnated grease. What do you guys use down the road as you clean or service your knives?

Over the years I have run them dry with just the Nylatron's built in slickness, thin oil, thick oil and flourinated grease. I see Glock even has a thick copper impregnated grease available.

So, what do you all run and why? What worked, and what was not so good?

Thanks

After going through probably 50 different Emersons I found out that leaving the factory copper grease in an Emerson knife is best..it smooths it out. The knife works better with the grease IN than if one takes it out. I used to remove the factory grease from emersons as soon a I got them.. They never run as good if you remove that factory grease. Then I got some new ones and left the factory grease in.. wow, after a month or two they run like on bearings.

I guess Earnest knows what he is doing.

After going through probably 50 different Emersons I found out that leaving the factory copper grease in an Emerson knife is best..it smooths it out. The knife works better with the grease IN than if one takes it out. I used to remove the factory grease from emersons as soon a I got them.. They never run as good if you remove that factory grease. Then I got some new ones and left the factory grease in.. wow, after a month or two they run like on bearings.

I guess Earnest knows what he is doing.
+100!

A little red n tacky grease is what I use. My Emersons have seen a lot of use, a lot of dirt and cleaning was inevitable.

I use a dab of grease on all my knife pivots. I take a toothpick and put a few dots on the face of the washers that contact the blade. With bearings I put a little on my fingers and roll the bearing around.

I use 10w Nano-Oil, same as my other knives. Works great for me, usually needs to be freshened up about once a year.
I also use nano-oil on all of my knife pivots. Extremely smooth and makes some knives move almost as well as my knives with bearings.

On the pivot, i use NLGI2 rated marine grease. On the washers, nothing.

Nano Oil 5W, Elna sewing machine oil or WD40. What ever is closest at hand.

Tried a tube of "Glock" copper impregnated grease. Closest thing I could find to the Emerson grease. Seems to work very well and inexpensive. Pretty happy with the results. Feels thick enough to stay in place yet does not seem to be thick enough to bog down the action. I used a Fluorinated grease before this but it was thinner.

I Do the following even with Emerson Customs and it makes almost drop fall close.
1) replace the Washers with a mixture of PB and Teflon at each side.
2) lubrication with Chris reeve White Grease with one tiny droplet of Nano oil...

And magic happens

I Do the following even with Emerson Customs and it makes almost drop fall close.
1) replace the Washers with a mixture of PB and Teflon at each side.
2) lubrication with Chris reeve White Grease with one tiny droplet of Nano oil...
And magic happens

I would like to try a combination of PB and Teflon. Do you use one of each on each side of the blade, total of four washers?
Would you be so kind as to share the size/dimensions of the washers you are using?

Yes I do... 2 at each side with the Teflon towards the blade.
Both the Teflon and PB are the same size... will send you exact size later....
However it is the same size as the Hinderer XM18 washers, infact the Teflon ones are of my XM 's kits.

Thank you Coreman, if you could send me the sizes and even perhaps a source - that would be great.
I would imaging that each washer is about half the thickness as a standard washer EKI uses?

I use a dry graphite lubricant, even just a pencil, with great results. Just basically color in the liners where they contact the washers, same with the blade, and apply generously to the lock bar and blade interfaces. This makes a crazy smooth action, doesn’t collect dust, and prevents lock stick without over-timing the lock bar or reducing the integrity of the lockup. Give it a try, you’ll be surprised how well it works.

I’ve been using Froglube on all my Emerson’s and love the thick buttery smooth action it provides and it last a very long time.

I use a dry graphite lubricant, even just a pencil, with great results. Just basically color in the liners where they contact the washers, same with the blade, and apply generously to the lock bar and blade interfaces. This makes a crazy smooth action, doesn’t collect dust, and prevents lock stick without over-timing the lock bar or reducing the integrity of the lockup. Give it a try, you’ll be surprised how well it works.

That's a great tip!

Thanks!

I got a hold of some of the copper impregnated "glock grease" AKA Loctite C5-A, widely rumored to be the same grease that Emerson uses.
Conclusion - it's very likely the same, and it's very robust stuff (resistance to being washed off, protection, and moderate lubrication) but it is definitely not as smooth as many of the lubrications mentioned. I have an old tube of Gun Slick graphite paste... it's very good and slick and use that for all my folders.

Yes I do... 2 at each side with the Teflon towards the blade.
Both the Teflon and PB are the same size... will send you exact size later....
However it is the same size as the Hinderer XM18 washers, infact the Teflon ones are of my XM 's kits.
Since I have the Tri-Way washer sets from several Hinderers, I am definitely going to check this recommendation out. Thanks -

Back