Emerson Sheepdog

Hey guys, I haven't been here in awhile but the last Emerson I bought was this Sheepdog from Action Concepts. Well I really like the knife but the lock bar has me concerned. I have to flip it really hard to get it to stay locked. And opening it with the thumbstud it won't stay locked at all. I have taken the knife apart and applied some graphite to the bar and where the side of the knife meets it with no better results. I am just curious if anyone has any tips before I send it back to Emerson. Thank you.

Sometimes i find if you loosen all screws a few turns with the blade neutral (between open and closed) and apply pressure with left pointer and thumb on a diagonal (push top lockbar side down while pushing non lockbar side up) you hold steady and tighten screws. Then adjust the pivot to your taste. Loose pivot will result in ever so sligtly later lockup.

A few good waves after to set everything and then use that sob !

Actually I prefer that level of early engagement on new Emersons. After a bunch of openings and closings, the lock bar will wear down a little and seat for better engagement. It doesn't take long.
Don't use graphite... you WANT lock stick and wear to occur in this case.

I have an Action Concepts Sheepdog too, and the lockup changes day to day. Some days it's like yours, some days it's over at 80-90%. I suspect the Micarta swells and contracts with varying heat and humidity. It doesn't bother me too much, since it still locks up securely.

Micarta doesn't expand or contact under normal conditions. I'd be checking that your screws are properly tightened and that nothing is loose.

Opening speed / hard flicks do cause the liner to engage more.

The last thing you want is a blade to close when you don't want it too!

Well it stays locked when doing normal cutting tasks. If I apply force to the spine of the blade with my index finger then the lock might fail but it takes some effort. The finger guard does catch the blade on my thumb when it happens though. I have carried this one almost every day since I bought it last August. I tightened the screws up far as I could. I have my eyes on an Emerson Appalachian I might decide to buy before I send this one in for adjustment. The Lockup on my CQC-8 is about 60%.I am just used to that, I find it perfect. Thanks for all your input and suggestions.

Back