End of an era.

It happened. I changed my 'no-matter-what' edc pocket knife/tool.

For twenty years I was a Victorinox classic fan. I carried one on my keyring every single day of my life since my better half was responsible for introducing me to them. I even made a nice little leather pouch sheet for the keyring so it didn't get banged up by keys. For two whole decades I sang the allocates of that little lozenge shaped wonder of versatility and ability in a tiny package.

It's over. The sad day has arrived when it has been replaced and the classic given to the kid fishing on the river.

It's been three years now that I've been flirting with the Leatherman squirt, and it's slowly been taking over. First a few days at a time, then a week. Then it reached a point where I didn't want to go without it. For the past year, it's been my go-to pocket tool, no matter what dedicated knife I had on me. It's a bit heavy for the keyring, so it lives in my jeans watch pocket. My regular pocket knife goes in my righthand pocket just below.

I think I surprised myself when I took the classic's leather pouch off my keyring and I knew the affair was over. The squirt is just so much more useful and multi talented in it's daily capability. It's become second nature to just reach into the watch/coin pocket to takeout the squirt, pull out the blade or whatever tool is needed. And of this old arthritic old fart, I like the easy spring pressure the Leatherman has. Like my Buck stockman, it's easy to pull open.

I love how the tools are all mounted on the 'outside' of the thing, unlike the micra that I found to be a genuine PITA to use. In real world function it 's just like using a small SAK. All tools are easy to get to. If I need the small pliers, which is more often that I thought, just pull open and use. I've even come to like the chisel ground knife blade. Easy and fast to sharpen, and opens mail, boxes, cut s string just as well as my old classic. But it's a much more rugged unit.

So I open 2018 with a sea change of carry item. The Leatherman squirt has become my every-single-day-carry-no-matter-what-else I carry.

Out with the old, in with the new.

The Squirts are pretty handy tools and come in many different versions. Here are a couple that I have- the Es4 version is for electronics work with a wire stripping set of jaws while the S4 version has a large set of scissors in place of pliers or jaws and has a small set of tweezers that can be pulled from the handle.

tLfS38N.jpg

Last edited:
That is a sad day. I have carried a Classic roughly for 10 years and have so many great memories with them. With my on my wedding day, when my children were born, installing/replacing so many batteries in my kids toys, etc. I’ve got a pretty decent collection too. May the Squirt treat you as well if not better then the SAK has for the next 20 years.

The Squirt is a great little multi tool. About as small as a Leatherman can be while still being useful. I carry one on my keys every day.

My son ditched the Classic for the Squirt a few years ago. He carries neither now. Carries another Vic instead.

My wife carries the Vic and my daughter is happy with the Squirt.
Both the Vic and the Ps4 were confiscated on sight from me, when the Ladies first laid their eyes on them.
Oh well, so I bought another Vic and Ps4 and I still have both, but there's no contest:
The Ps4 is The number One out of these two!

Regards
Mikael

I understand this sea level change for you as you have been an advocate of the Classic for years. It's a no brainer for me as I always felt the Vic Classic wasn't enough knife even for the little tasks, not to mention strong enough with poor spring strength. With the Ps4 Squirt and another small folder, you have most everyday bases covered. It is amazing how often the little pliers gets used on the Squirt.

I have been going through such a change myself. I have carried a large 111mm SAK (two layer) since I replaced a Vic alox Soldier back in the early 90's with it. I notice that I have been passing on sliding it into my pocket lately or as often as I have always done for years. I have a Ps4 Squirt on two sets of car keys. They get a bit junked up with pocket lint. The squirt doesn't replace the larger Vic a larger folding knife has done that. In particular, it has been a stag LionSteel small Opera. I'm still in the adjustment stage and may go back to the Vic.

I've had a P4 Squirt for a number of years. I don't EDC it, but it sits in my living room and is used occasionally for tasks around the house. Prior to that, I used to carry a Micra in my workbag for a number of years. I never did pocket carry either of them.

Also, many years ago, I carried a Classic as a backup knife in my pocket. Until I discovered the Vic Executive. I always felt awkward with the Classic-sized models, but the Executive is larger but still extremely pocket friendly. I've carried mine for nearly 2 decades now, and find it much handier than the Classic. The Executive works extremely well in conjunction with a larger SAK like the Pioneer and whatever main single-bladed folder I'm carrying. Also, I find when using it, it's more convenient to access the tools than the ones on the Squirt/Micra.

Back to the Squirt, that S4 version looks interesting.

Jim

Squirt is nice but I still like victorinox better.I carry spartan on my keychain and it is one of best Saks around.I just miss scissors and that's all.Performed so many tasks and served me as my only knife without any problems.I LIKE VICTORINOX BECAUSE of the larger blade that I use so often and that's only knife I carry most times,and I can use it in front of people without problems.I have leatherman style cs on keychain. Sometimes too.Its maybe bulky but takes care of all my needs.

Well with how I carry nothing could take the place of a Vic classic if not just as an homage to my grandfather, but I do love my Leatherman Micra and don't mind the inside opening tools.
I've wanted a squirt for a long time, but just haven't pulled the trigger because I'm not big on ordering online.

For me I carry a classic for the toothpick / tweezers when my carry isn't a full sized Vic, but since my Micra has tweezers I can bear to do without the toothpick every once in a while. It's blade also seems like " more ", I can't exactly explain what it is about the classic but it's blade just seems dainty and fragile even though I know how much my grandfather would put them through.

I hope your Leatherman squirt really serves you as well as your trusty Vic classic did, and furthermore that the kid you gifted it to loves it as much as you did.

I found the toothpick on the classic too small just like the blade. When I carry a large traditional, I'll also carry something like the Bantam (thin) for the toothpick and tweezers, not to mention a pretty functional knife blade. You can find the Squirt (Ps4) in a number of stores around where I live. I think I purchased my first at REI and my second at Sportsman Warehouse. REI had all the different models and in particular visit, I was interested in looking at the Micra at that time before I purchased a Ps4 Squirt. I do have one of the Style (model #?) that I carry as a work tool when I need to go somewhere for work that does not allow knives (court houses generally).

I hope the kid you (jack knife) gifted the Classic too understands the significance of this gift and doesn't treat it like a piece of junk.

It happened. I changed my 'no-matter-what' edc pocket knife/tool.

For twenty years I was a Victorinox classic fan. I carried one on my keyring every single day of my life since my better half was responsible for introducing me to them. I even made a nice little leather pouch sheet for the keyring so it didn't get banged up by keys. For two whole decades I sang the allocates of that little lozenge shaped wonder of versatility and ability in a tiny package.

It's over. The sad day has arrived when it has been replaced and the classic given to the kid fishing on the river.

It's been three years now that I've been flirting with the Leatherman squirt, and it's slowly been taking over. First a few days at a time, then a week. Then it reached a point where I didn't want to go without it. For the past year, it's been my go-to pocket tool, no matter what dedicated knife I had on me. It's a bit heavy for the keyring, so it lives in my jeans watch pocket. My regular pocket knife goes in my righthand pocket just below.

I think I surprised myself when I took the classic's leather pouch off my keyring and I knew the affair was over. The squirt is just so much more useful and multi talented in it's daily capability. It's become second nature to just reach into the watch/coin pocket to takeout the squirt, pull out the blade or whatever tool is needed. And of this old arthritic old fart, I like the easy spring pressure the Leatherman has. Like my Buck stockman, it's easy to pull open.

I love how the tools are all mounted on the 'outside' of the thing, unlike the micra that I found to be a genuine PITA to use. In real world function it 's just like using a small SAK. All tools are easy to get to. If I need the small pliers, which is more often that I thought, just pull open and use. I've even come to like the chisel ground knife blade. Easy and fast to sharpen, and opens mail, boxes, cut s string just as well as my old classic. But it's a much more rugged unit.

So I open 2018 with a sea change of carry item. The Leatherman squirt has become my every-single-day-carry-no-matter-what-else I carry.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Although following with interest your posts on the subject, I went in a slightly other direction. I never really cared for the Classic. It has too few implements, and the key ring is on the wrong end, an occasional nuisance when cutting stuff. Instead, I chose a Rambler, which is only slightly wider than the the Classic, barely noticeable in real life, and providing two additional useful implements. Very recently, I retired the Rambler for a Manager, but same size package. For many years, the Rambler occupied my 5th pocket, and the Manager does today, regardless of whatever else I am carrying. Prior to that, I EDCed a Micra, which still has the best implements in the size category, but too many sharp edges and was constantly trying to eat its way out of my pocket. But I agree about the Squirt, and often carry one, although the P4 instead of the PS4. I prefer it because the PS version gives up the eyeglass screwdriver and punch in exchange for the scissors, but that is covered by the Manager. My only complaint about the Squirt is the file, which is too small for serious wood or metal work (I did use it to good effect once, but that was a seldom situation.) Leatherman should have stayed with the nail file, which does work very well on its other keychainers.

Last edited:
I've been watching your transition my friend - as I go through the same process - but not quite there yet - I still use the "Director" model -a lot - this is like the "Executive" but has metal scales and no toothpick - since I've lost most of my teeth anyway --so what! - sometimes growth and change is painful - keep on growing

I do understand your liking the Squirt. It a good little tool.
BUT...Leatherman = got no soul
Victorinox = just a little sexy
Just sayin...

Last edited:
I do understand your liking the Squirt. It a good little tool.
BUT...Leatherman = got no soul
Victorinox = got some soul
Just sayin...

Both have plenty of soul. I think people bond with whatever they are used to carrying, and I have carried samples of each for years at a time. Each has its advantages in specific situations, and can also complement one another. At any given time, I have one or more of each on hand, at this very moment a Charge TTi and a Manager. At different times I have been bailed out of some kind of jam with whichever I was carrying, usually fixit situations, and once a potential SD confrontation when I needed something more stout than a SAK. Fortunately, it didn't come to blows, but I was much more confident with my Leatherman in that situation. BTW, a SAK can also serve as a fist load with a Tinker screwdriver extended between your fingers, but that is a second hand anecdote I got from an acquaintance. But OTOH, when a party host misplaced his corkscrew, I got to be the hero for 20 minutes or so with my Sportsman until the thing turned up (that happened 3 times in 20 years!)
Like Stephen Stills advises: "Love the One You're With."

The squirt is a great little tool. The next step for you will be to try the Juice. I have been carrying the Juice S2 for about 2 years. To me the size and weight are perfect for EDC and you get a more capable tool set.

Back