Endela

I checked out a Endela yesterday. It was a bit bigger than I thought would be with a 3.41” blade and an 8.10” overall length. I guess it’s size was modeled on the Paramilitary 2. Since the PM2 is so popular, I guess that is a no brainer. Where I saw it, the price was $79, about the going rate for a FRN Seiki City VG-10 knife.

I think the 3.41" blade length is more to put it right in between the Endura and Delica blade lengths. Had it been 3.5" it would have been closer to the Endura than the Delica.

Jim

I really don't get the "point" of the Endela and have no plans on buying one.

There are several other Spyders that already fill that size gap (the PM2, Manix2 and Tenacious -- all of which I already own) that immediately come to mind and the fact that you can still buy an Endela on Spyderco's website seems to confirm a lack of demand because any new release subject to high demand always sells out there quick.

Last edited:

There are several other Spyders that already fill that size gap (the PM2, Manix2 and Tenacious -- all of which I already own -- immediately come to mind) and the fact that you can still buy an Endela on Spyderco's website seems to confirm a lack of demand because any new release subject to high demand always sells out there quick.

Not every Spyderco is a a super hit, but in terms of sheer niche filling, Spyderco could have stopped making new models twenty years ago.

Mine came today.

bmp8ln90f5331.jpg

Love it!

There are several other Spyders that already fill that size gap (the PM2, Manix2 and Tenacious -- all of which I already own -- immediately come to mind) and the fact that you can still buy an Endela on Spyderco's website seems to confirm a lack of demand because any new release subject to high demand always sells out there quick.

Let's see...the Endela has a less wide blade and takes up less pocket space than the Manix and Tenacious, a lighter weight than any of them but the Manix Lightweight, better steel than the Tenacious, and a lot cheaper than the PM2, so...I can see a reason for it.

Let's see...the Endela has a less wide blade and takes up less pocket space than the Manix and Tenacious, a lighter weight than any of them but the Manix Lightweight, better steel than the Tenacious, and a lot cheaper than the PM2, so...I can see a reason for it.

Can't argue that it doesn't fill a "niche" but it just seems redundant to me and the differences (to most people, other than knife people like us) are so minor (except for the blade steel used in the Tenacious which is made up for in the much lower price point) as to be almost entirely meaningless to most people.

But, different strokes for different folks. If it floats your boat, buy it. Using a shotgun approach by tossing out as many different models that people "might" buy (and cutting them out quick when they don't) seems to be Spyderco's marketing strategy, especially for it's more popular models like the Native and Endura/Delica lines.

It's just not another Spyderco that I see any reason to buy, given all the others that I already own.

Can't argue that it doesn't fill a "niche" but it just seems redundant to me and the differences (to most people, other than knife people like us) are so minor (except for the blade steel used in the Tenacious which is made up for in the much lower price point) as to be almost entirely meaningless to most people.

But, different strokes for different folks. If it floats your boat, buy it. Using a shotgun approach by tossing out as many different models that people "might" buy (and cutting them out quick when they don't) seems to be Spyderco's marketing strategy, especially for it's more popular models like the Native and Endura/Delica lines.

It's just not another Spyderco that I see any reason to buy, given all the others that I already own.

There are lots of Spydercos I never consider, especially those north of $200-$250, however, the typical initial Spyderco run is 1,200 units, or at least that’s what it has been in the past. That is a pretty small number. Most Spyderco Knives are aimed at knifenuts.

Last edited:
and the differences (to most people, other than knife people like us) are so minor (except for the blade steel used in the Tenacious which is made up for in the much lower price point) as to be almost entirely meaningless to most people.

Sure. Although tbh, if Spyderco was only making knives where the differences weren't so minor as to be almost entirely meaningless to most non-knife people, they could probably limit themselves to about 7 basic folder designs(and a few obviously "exotic" designs like the Yojimbo, a hawkbill, etc) and have all their bases covered. Even blade steel doesn't matter to most non-knife people, to them, steel is steel, "steel" IS the descriptor, and they don't even realize that there's tons of different steels. I've been asked why I have mulitples of the same design and I mention things like different blade steels and have literally been asked "it looks the same to me, isn't steel steel?"

Back