Endura 4 vs. Police 4 Lightweight for gloved/cold weather use: any compelling reason to choose the costlier Police?

I'm looking for a large folder to use with work gloves -- winter gloves in particular -- and think I've narrowed it down to the Endura 4 and the Police 4 Lightweight. Both have large handles, which bulky gloves necessitate, have backlocks (my preferred lock type for gloved use), and have a hump over the opening hole, which I've found the easiest way to open a knife when my fingers are bundled up.

The Endura's blade length would be sufficient for me. I don't think I'd use the choil on the Police 4 much for this application; though highly unlikely to slip, I don't like the thought of a bulky glove finger that close to the cutting edge. And it looks to me like the Endura's usable handle length is about the same, or perhaps even a little longer, than than of the Police 4, if not including the choil on the Police:
Pretty much all signs, including cost, are pointing me toward the Endura for winter work use. I just wanted to ask you all if there's anything obvious I'm missing that should make me reconsider the Police 4, and if I'm correct about the usable handle length.

Cheers

Perhaps the Manix 2 because of the larger hole diameter? That aside, the Endura 4 is perfectly serviceable. The larger size of the Police is nice but not strictly necessary.

Looks like you've already stated why the Endura is better suited for what you're looking for, so the Endura is a no brainer.
For me, I like the bigger blade on the Police, that's the only reason why I didn't go with the Endura.

The police is a big knife. Do you need the extra blade length? Blade length is something I reduce as much as possible to fit my needs. This is why blades in the 2.75-3.25” range are so popular. Really your requirement for winter work gloves is going to push the handle size requirement, which will up the blade size with it. I would get the knife that fits my hand with winter work gloves on and nothing bigger. Personally, if the endura couldn’t cut it, I’d be looking at a military, not the police.

Pretty much all signs, including cost, are pointing me toward the Endura for winter work use. I just wanted to ask you all if there's anything obvious I'm missing that should make me reconsider the Police 4, and if I'm correct about the usable handle length.

Cheers
I think you are spot on with your direction. If you don't need the extra blade length or the stabbieness of the police, the Endura 4 is the way to go. Another thought to consider would be the Pacific Salt 2 LC200N. Bigger spyderhole (and hump), nearly rust proof, less stabby than the Endura (for work), better steel IMO, and lighter weight. No, it doesn't have liners but I find the salt folders to be plenty robust. I think it would make an excellent, reduced maintenance (less sharpening, rust proof, less cleaning of the internals) work knife.

Jncs9Uqh.jpg

db2cFpgh.jpg

qTJ8vf6h.jpg

r04Jyc7h.jpg

One YouTube video is not a “required recall”. I have the siren and it serves me just fine.

If we abandoned all interest in knives because one person had a warranty issue, what knife would be left to carry?
Read the thread. Spyderco is going through quite an ordeal to fix the flawed Siren.

Like I said, I wouldn't buy a known defective knife when the company is currently in the process of fixing the issue. You made a bad recommendation. I corrected it. Don't take it personally or try to defend a blatantly wrong position just because you don't like me. And since I know you just can't wait to snipe back and have the last word, I'll be the bigger person and bow out of responding to you further in this thread. Have a good day!

Read the thread. Spyderco is going through quite an ordeal to fix the flawed Siren.

Like I said, I wouldn't buy a known defective knife when the company is currently in the process of fixing the issue. You made a bad recommendation. I corrected it. Don't take it personally or try to defend a blatantly wrong position just because you don't like me. And since I know you just can't wait to snipe back and have the last word, I'll be the bigger person and bow out of responding to you further in this thread. Have a good day!
I did read the thread. Did you? Sal has found the fix, and it looks like all warranty issues will be addressed. He states it isn’t a safety issue, but they haven’t sold any since the issue was identified. If someone purchases one in the future, it would be corrected through warranty or it would be CQI’d version through distribution. We don’t need to derail this thread any further, but clearly your idea of how serious the safety issue is is different from Sal’s. Good day.

A couple factors in the favor of the Police, it has a proper choil...plus Police's back lock may be easier to disengage with gloved hands <no Boye dent>.

I own multiples of both models.

One thing that I think recommends the Endura over the Police is greater range of blade steels. For example, my trail-running blade is always an Endura in H1 or Spyderhawk <Endura-based model> in H1, tucked IWB on right hip. I chose those models because of the rust resistance from sweat being next to my skin.

Can't really go wrong with either, imho.

One thing that I think recommends the Endura over the Police is greater range of blade steels. For example, my trail-running blade is always an Endura in H1 or Spyderhawk <Endura-based model> in H1, tucked IWB on right hip. I chose those models because of the rust resistance from sweat being next to my skin.

Can't really go wrong with either, imho.
Yup, I do the same thing with a Pacific Salt, first with the H1 SE and now more often with the LC200N version, both Endura based of course.

Very interesting thread. after I got the LW Endura 4 in zip, I was thinking to get it in K390.
Now, I’m more incline to get LW Police 4 in K390… I love Endura’s blade size and plenty of room in the handle but I think I’ll be even happier with the larger Police ? I’m wandering if owners can share if there are any issues with K390 on those two models ?

. . . it looks to me like the Endura's usable handle length is about the same, or perhaps even a little longer, than than of the Police 4, if not including the choil on the Police:

Look at the pic you posted again.

I own multiple variations of both the Endura and the Police and there's NO WAY the handle on the Endura's "usuable handle length is about the same, or perhaps even a little longer than . . . the Police."

The Police's handle and blade is undoubtely longer than those on the Endura because the blade in the Police is longer and it should be just as (if not more) managable than the Endura w/a pair of gloves on but either the Endura or the Police will do the job w/gloves on or off.

FWIW, I still own a Gen 1 FRN Endura Clip-it that I bought in the 90's and, if I didn't own the other 149 Spyderco's that I currently own, I'd be completely happy with it alone, as I was for the roughly 30 years before I started collecting knives.

LOL! ;)

Last edited:
Back