Endura/Military MOD Templar Scales

On tap for today is a set of modified profile Endura/Military inlaid scales with the Templar shield and cross. Going with charcoal G10 scales... inlaid gray G10 shield and red G10 cross. A modified ray burst texture to highlight the inlay work.

I've also designed a G10 pocket clip to compliment the theme... Templar shield/cross design.

I'm not entirely certain what the large shield area on the clip will do regarding the flex characteristics. I previously worked out the thickness of the G10 clip leg with my sculpted clips for a nice retention... but the greater amount of area in this larger shield design will certainly effect the flex characteristics. Obviously I'll need to go thinner... but just how much thinner will be a WAG for this first machining. The clip will also be charcoal G10.

We shall see shortly...

QWtJnRa.jpg

y0OKZ1S.png

Here are some progress photos...

The way I do indexed double sided machining is with a G10 coupon that I drill 2 indexing pins on the centerline axis. The pins facilitate matched machining from front to back. All nested pocket designs I machine use this method...

Inlay designs require pockets and inlay pieces... in this case the coupon is pocketed for the shield... the gray shield is pocketed for the red cross. Thick black cyanoacrylate is used as the adhesive and creates a black outline of the inlaid pieces.

7ce5Gma.jpg

Lad00Xe.jpg

3A7erHS.jpg

These are the scales fresh off the CNC... nothing done to them but a soap and water scrub to remove machining residue.

I have the back spacer and pocket clip to machine... that will happen tomorrow.
szzF0mz.jpg

cItYXdb.jpg

I might have some finished photos posted up tomorrow depending on what the weather is doing...

Very cool!

Hoping the clip works out well for you... Then you can expand on the idea... I hope sal would let you do something like that with the bug (since he has said before he appreciates all the aftermarket clip offerings)

The weather hasn't cooperated on this Winter Solstice... so glamor shots didn't happen today.

I did take a teaser pic of the pocket clip installed on the knife. I changed the design in the field surrounding the cross. The checkering in the original design was just too busy looking. Once I machined this flat field design I'm waffling on whether this plain background works... OR maybe you can have TOO much of a good thing with the shields and crosses competing for the eye.

ut1ky6y.jpg

The weather hasn't cooperated on this Winter Solstice... so glamor shots didn't happen today.

I did take a teaser pic of the pocket clip installed on the knife. I changed the design in the field surrounding the cross. The checkering in the original design was just too busy looking. Once I machined this flat field design I'm waffling on whether this plain background works... OR maybe you can have TOO much of a good thing with the shields and crosses competing for the eye.

ut1ky6y.jpg
That’s friggin’ awesome!

Here's the finished photos of the Endura/Military Templar knife... charcoal G10 scales, back spacer, and pocket clip... inlaid gray G10 shields with red G10 crosses...

You actually can have too much going on in a design... the next one will only have an inlaid shield/cross on the presentation side so the machined shield/cross pocket clip doesn't compete for notice.

The wider area of the pocket clip is felt in the palm but for my hand... isn't creating a hot spot or any point discomfort.

xhkQ5Ta.jpg

Cq0Adwv.jpg

87Coqcs.jpg

Z2m1n0A.jpg

kqgfde9.jpg

KNgsfap.jpg

gcmEQZz.jpg

CqnMUEy.jpg

lsjz4X4.jpg

I think a shorty clip like on the southern grind bad monkey would be ideal. I also like the idea to just leave the inlay off of the clip side

While we're on the subject, I also liked the "depth" that the checkering added on the first iteration of the clip... I'd be interested to see what it looks like against the plain side, once you run another one without the inlay.

You actually can have too much going on in a design... the next one will only have an inlaid shield/cross on the presentation side so the machined shield/cross pocket clip doesn't compete for notice.

I like where you're heading with that. Very nice stuff. :thumbsup:

Cross and shield on presentation side would be a even trade off for the clip side without
the shield.

Fooling around with the Endura today! Thank you Boomer! I tried a Lynch deep carry clip to see if I liked the length on clip side to expose more of the shield. I love the shield on both sides! I also have an even shorter MXG Gear deep carry clip that would almost expose all of the shield on the clip side... Still playing, maybe a shorter, shiny version such as the regular Syderco clip that Boomer added?... Sorry for the quality of my pics, I'm not quite the photographer/craftsman that Boomer52 is!

Xv61unf.jpg

Back