Endura vs. Military

Both of these seem like fine larger folders. I would appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of each model that you all may have experienced. I will pick up one of the other, and having some input from the forumites would be helpful.

Thanks

Endura
+ "...the clip is upgraded to a four-way tip-up, tip-down, left- or right-handed clip..."
+ Price

Military
+ handle material G-10
- "...metal clip is set for right-hand tip-down carry..."
- Price

Well,

I think this is one of those "win-win" situations, as in, no matter which one you decide on, you'll get a darn good knife! It is also an "apples and oranges" comparison, however, as each knife has its own unique features.

The Military, which is significantly more expensive, is commonly thought of as being one of the most reliable, best performing, liner-locking knives around. With a 4-inch, fully flat-ground, S30V blade, it cuts like a laser! The Military is considerably light for its size, this being due to the nested liner and G10 handle. It also has a 50/50 choil for detailed cutting.

The Endura (IV) is a Spyderco best seller and is a testament to Spyderco's constant desire to improve and innovate. Spyderco uses their very strong and reliable front-lock (lock-back) on this model. With a 3 & 3/4-inch, saber flat-ground, VG-10 blade, it'll also keep on cutting. The FRN handle slabs contain nested steel liners for extra strength, and the FRN, with the improved, bi-directional, volcano grip texturing, is quite grippy.

I'd have to give the edge (pun intended) to the Military in terms of slicing, due to its fully flat-ground blade. I think the Endura wins out in terms of blade durability, due to its saber flat-grind and re-inforced tip. I have yet to notice an appreciable difference in S30V and VG-10 in terms of edge retention, but VG-10 sharpens a bit easier.

I generally prefer G10 to FRN as a handle material, however, Spyderco has made the texture on the Endura quite grippy. Due to the fact that the Endura has nested steel liners, I think the strength difference between the two models' handles is pretty much non-existant. I do prefer a lock-back (front-lock) to a liner-lock, but in the case of the Military, the liner-lock is really very reliable and strong. The 4-way clip on the Endura does, however, trump the right side, tip-down only clip on the Military

I think it really all boils down to how you plan on using the knife. Are you right-handed? Will it be a beater? Will you do a lot of slicing? What are the blade length restrictions where you live and work? If you lose it, can you afford to replace it?

Hopefully, I have given you at least a little bit of help in making your decision and have not confused you further. With Spyderco, it is always tough deciding between models, especially when you are considering two of the very best! Good luck!:)

Regards,
3G

I prefer the Endura due to the better lock and the wave feature available on this model. If Spyderco were to upgrade the lock on the Military, I would choose it over the Endura.

+Better (and overall bigger) grip on Millie
+better cutter due to full grinds
+- longer blade
+- thinner tip
+- liner lock

+Better (and overall bigger) grip on Millie
+better cutter due to full grinds
+- longer blade
+- thinner tip
+- liner lock

Those were what I was going to mention but also the LARGER thumb hole. Is a huge plus to me. Especially when I am wearing gloves, its just easier. I think the military all around is one of the best knives out there. The Endura is a great knife and with the gen4 you cant go wrong with the filed thumb ramp,removable clip, screws, washers and just the whole thing. I carry my mili and para-mili more than any of my endura's but I still think they are great.

Military:
+ Comfortable extra-large handle.
+ Large thumb-hole.
+ Full flat grind.
+ S30V.
+ Made in the USA.
+ G-10.
- Liner-lock.
- Single steel liner.
- Takes up lots of pocket space.
- More delicate tip than the E4.
- More expensive than the E4.

Endura 4:
+ Comfortable large handle.
+ Takes up less pocket space than the Military.
+ Strong blade and tip design.
+ Clip position options.
+ Smaller pocket-clip.
+ Lock-back.
+ VG-10.
+ Dual steel liners.
+ Less expensive than the Military.
+ Available with the Emerson Wave.
- Makes you feel silly for buying more expensive knives that don't perform as well. :D

You guys are great!!

These comments are very helpful. On the downside, now I am checking funds to see if I can buy both.

You could darned near get a ZDP-189 *And* a VG-10 Endura for the price of one Military.
G27

Military:
+ Comfortable extra-large handle.
+ Large thumb-hole.
+ Full flat grind.
+ S30V.
+ Made in the USA.
+ G-10.
- Liner-lock.
- Single steel liner.
- Takes up lots of pocket space.
- More delicate tip than the E4.
- More expensive than the E4.

Endura 4:
+ Comfortable large handle.
+ Takes up less pocket space than the Military.
+ Strong blade and tip design.
+ Clip position options.
+ Smaller pocket-clip.
+ Lock-back.
+ VG-10.
+ Dual steel liners.
+ Less expensive than the Military.
+ Available with the Emerson Wave.
- Makes you feel silly for buying more expensive knives that don't perform as well. :D

The Millie now has dual steel liners in the normal G-10 version:D

If the Millie had a tip up clip, it would be perfect. If the Endura had G10 scales, it would be number one on my list.

The Millie now has dual steel liners in the normal G-10 version:D

Thanks, I did not know that. :thumbup:

Is it a full-length of partial steel liner on the non-locking side?
I'm guessing that it's also nested, right?

save yourself the extra cash unless you really want the millitary, cause the endura 4 is really all you need and it will save you some cash.

Okay - I went for the ZDP Endura. Cost is somewhere between the Millie and the VG-10 Endura and I get to try a new knife steel. You guys were a great help, thanks again.

The ZDP Endura is what kicked my BGCF Military out of my pocket ;) .
You have chosen wisely, grasshopper :D

Like most here, I have both. The Endura is a great knife. That being said, I carry the Military because it is a better knife. Cuts better and it's not much heavier. I still carry the Endura though on those days that I want a light knife to wear with shorts or sweats. Plus, I like VG10 better than S30V. I haven't seen much performance difference between these two steels, but VG10 sharpens much more easily.

I have both and I don't see much of a competition, the Military is hands down a better cutter. The Endura is fine but trying to compare it to the Military is not fair. At the prices they sell for, I still think the Military is the better deal. The Military may be the knife Spyderco has made. It is worth the extra cash.

Nothing wrong with buying both and seeing for yourself though.

I have noticed that some of the better Spydercos may take a while to to fully appreciate. There are a bunch that I didn't like at first and now I do. The Military, Centofante 3 and 4, Rescue, and Delica 3. There are reasons that they have stood the test of time. The D-3 lasted a long time and is now the D-4 which is still a good knife but the D-3 had something special about it.

Yes, it does. Adjustable pivot, all screw construction, 4 position clip option. So of course, mine is set for RH tip down, just like my Military :D

Back