Off Topic England is weird...

A.McPherson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So I just got back from an awesome 2 week long tour of England and Scotland.

It was great! I got to see Stonehenge up close, I rode on the London eye, I saw my clan’s Highland games and the macpherson clan museum, had some great fish and chips, saw the Magna Carta and so many awesome things.

Man that place is weird. Every time I logged onto a open WiFi hotspot I couldn’t access this website because it’s designated as “dangerous” because of “weapons”.

At a train station I saw a table where they had pictures of the things that made a knife illegal. Blade length, shape, folding with one hand opening, locking, shape of handle... just fricking crazy!!!

Anyway, awesome time! Don’t bring your knives there though, they are all illegal.

A while back I remember news stories about England contemplating legislation to require all knife blades to have rounded tips. England is no weirder than right here in the good ol' USA where guns are banned because of their color, 7 rounds is ok but 8 are evil etc. Glad you had a great time. People are usually great wherever you go. The governments you could throw in the sea.

Next time when You will go to visit Europe You could visit Czech or Slovak republic. In our countries (for now, hmm) are knives in pocket, on backpack even sword in bus legal. In addition we are friendly people too. :)

Of anywhere in Europe I'd love to visit the CR. And Poland.

In the UK (last I heard) knives are sold in sealed hard to open clamshell packaging. You can't legally open the package until it is inside your home ... and you can't take it out of the house unless it is in a locked case. Just possessing a fixed blade knife in public is illegal.

In the UK (last I heard) knives are sold in sealed hard to open clamshell packaging. You can't legally open the package until it is inside your home ... and you can't take it out of the house unless it is in a locked case. Just possessing a fixed blade knife in public is illegal.
But you can buy a large screwdriver ......weird world :eek:

But you can buy a large screwdriver ......weird world :eek:

Probably get arrested for carrying one of those in your jacket pocket as well, if it ever came to a situation where a search was involved.

Of anywhere in Europe I'd love to visit the CR. And Poland.

If you like pretty girls that can drink you under the table any day of the week, the Czech Republic is the place for you! Haha, they sure do love their beer. I have a friend that moved over there and he hasn't once considered moving back to US.

Yeah, and all kitchen knives are to be banned so you will have to cut your meat with the edge of a spoon.

Once pols start banning things there’s almost no limit to what they won’t do. If crime doesn’t go down as a result, they’ll cook the books on crime(no walking back restrictions) and then all reason has left the society. Which is why they appear weird to tourists and outsiders.

If you like pretty girls that can drink you under the table any day of the week, the Czech Republic is the place for you! Haha, they sure do love their beer. I have a friend that moved over there and he hasn't once considered moving back to US.

That's funny because early when my wife and I were dating, we went to a bar with friends. I figured, I'll just get a beer for myself every time I get one for her, and that way I won't get too drunk. 12 beers later I backed my car into the side of my buddies pickup truck and figured A) I shouldn't drive anywhere and B) I like this girl.

Czechs consume 142 liters per year. Wisconsinites 137 liters. But the difference is we need save some room for brandy. :D

It is weird. They call fries chips. They call chips crisps. Who knows what they call Crispy Crunch.

Ha. They add the letter "U" where it doesn't belong. They all talk funny until they sing, and then they sound normal. They even think cars wear boots. They make fun of America for not using the metric system, then turn around and weigh boxers with "stones". Those crazy English.

When the Germans were tightening up their knife laws a few years back, the German hunting groups, which at the time, were still very politically influential especially in the south in the more conservative Lander like Bavaria, got some exceptions put in to cover their favorite hunting knives. So now you cannot carry a folder that both locks and can be opened with one hand, but you can carry a fixed blade as long as the blade is under 12 cm, which is like 4.75 inches. So you can't carry a tiny locking Syderco, but you can carry a Loveless style hunter. Kind of similar to the sub 4 inch fixed blade exception that must have gotten accidentally left on the books in New York City,

That's odd, I was there recently for some time and never came across that issue.

I traveled all over England/Wales/Scotland. Never had one issue accessing any websites. Heck I was checking the usual gun sites back home daily, saw a rather rare handgun for sale, called home and got my old man to organize the purchase.

You don't hang out in new age/hippie cafes do you? Seems like they'd be the kind to have an open hot spot wifi but limit the sites they don't agree with.

I'm going to move this to Around The Grinder for further chatting about our British Cousins.

Back