English Jack Extravaganza

Vaporstang, great thread to resurrect! Wow, Charlie, those are some beautiful knives!:thumbsup: That NYK lockback is really special and a box to go with it!

Hey, I like that NYK Co. knife as well. I can't believe anyone would ever get rid of that one.
Ha ha!! Thanks for letting it go Mike!! I always think fondly of you my friend, when I CF and CE that knife!!:thumbsup:

Nice move, Vapor, bringing those beauties over here!! Very cool collection!!:thumbsup:

NYK!!
View attachment 920363 View attachment 920364 View attachment 920365 View attachment 920366

A few more. Schrade, Ulster and Empire!!
I don't own the Ulster nor the Empire any more.
View attachment 920376 View attachment 920377 View attachment 920378
All museum pieces but that New York is :eek::eek: I think my heart skipped a few beats ! Thank you so much for the candy, Charlie ! That Ulster is making me want to hunt now....that lockback design has had me in its grasp for some time

The company etched on the blade was established in 1927. NYK Co went out of business in 1931.
That narrows it down pretty good - before most of us were born!!:rolleyes:

Before I shut down the computer for a while, I found these English Jacks to show off!:rolleyes:
The left is a Winchester, long pull, probably made by Schrade Cut Co. The right is a Schrade Cut, with a Saber grind, and a back lock!! Not often seen!! A real self-defense tool!
Win Schrade Eng 1.jpg Win Schrade Eng 2.jpg

4 7/16" closed Southington.
j3uSJXV.jpg

Ok time for school, what makes a knife an English jack exactly? For example would my Challenge harness jack also be considered an English jack? Blade configuration? Or is it more size related?

Ok time for school, what makes a knife an English jack exactly? For example would my Challenge harness jack also be considered an English jack? Blade configuration? Or is it more size related?

Per waynorth's description earlier in the thread:

Just so we are clear, the term "English Jack" refers to a knife over 4" long!
It can be slim, regular or sleeveboard, but it is the length that defines it.

:eek: Doh! I missed that somehow:confused: Anyways thanks for helping me see that which should have been seen. Fun to learn all these aspects of our hobby, a great deal of patterns and makers are wholly new to me.

Good to hear Mike! Bit of luck getting that beauty back :thumbsup:

But that Stag Henckels with the threaded bolster, second from bottom is sending me into orbit :D Beyond the Valley of the Cool :cool::D

Thanks, Will

Thanks, Will. It was nice of Charlie to sell it back to me. It's one of my favorite knives. The two Henckels at the bottom are also favorites as well. They are the first nice knives I bought years ago.

Back