Entrek Bison or buffalo

Bison (9 inch blade) or buffalo (7 inch blade)

• Bison

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Buffalo

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

StrangeDaze

Gold Member
anyone own/have experiance with an entrek bison or buffalo? I just ordered a Bison and am super excited! Any pictures or experiances to hold me over Until it gets here friday?

I have no experience with this brand, but I have to agree with the other posters here. They do look really nice. As for which I'd pick, my inclination would be the 7" variant. A, it's cheaper and B, I'm not sure what the benefit would be from the additional 2" (that's not what she said). Maybe aside from a chopping advantage, I see no real need for a 9" blade. Granted, I don't have a whole lot of experience using knives that large aside from a machete to clear brush.

Havent gotten a chance to use it too much but initial impressions are good! I really like it so far.
mExgLQ4.jpg
Ill have a chance to use it harder tomorrow and hopefully take some more pictures.

Cool knife, would love to some action pics. That being said, any of you Buffalo owners could put their pics in there as well would help add some debate to the vote.

bWKdPoT.jpg
Made a few buckeye fireboards, the bison did great! It isn't the sliciest knife around, but it did fine straightening the boards and i dont think detail work is what this knife was designed for. It did split the boards very well, they just flew apart.
It did better than expected at feathersticks too
XWCDo6j.jpg

The wood wasnt the easiest to get nice feathers from but i think they turned out fine considering the blade thickness is 1/4 inch! So far im really liking this knife. I compared it to my cold steel trailmaster which is pretty similar and found that even though the trail master has thicker blade stock, the bison is heavier due to the full tang. Im not sure if micarta is heavier than kraton but that might have something to do with it too. The handle on the bison was super comfy the whole time.

Great to see an Entrek knife being used. I have an Entrek Bravo that I've used fairly extensively for batoning, feather sticks, opening cans etc. It has performed very well.
I've also got a Buffalo, I had the edge thinned a little as it was quite thick. I like it, but wish it had the handle of the Elk model.

Great to see an Entrek knife being used. I have an Entrek Bravo that I've used fairly extensively for batoning, feather sticks, opening cans etc. It has performed very well.
I've also got a Buffalo, I had the edge thinned a little as it was quite thick. I like it, but wish it had the handle of the Elk model.
How does the buffalo work with the thinned edge? I dont use thick, mid length blades too much and that was my reasoning for going with the bison. If it sliced well, i might be able to justify getting a buffalo too...

It is noticeably better. Obviously, at a quarter inch thick it's never going to be a real slicer, but it's fine.
As I say, I wish I had the Elk instead, but only because I prefer the handle.

I love Entrek knives--every one I've owned has been perfect.

The sheaths on the other hand...

It's a shame, these both look like a fantastic option for a production bowie but they're both hollow ground. Hollow grinds seem to be the worst of both worlds in terms of fragility and cutting performance.

In my experience a 9" knife will do anything a 7" knife will do, but with a focus on power and length.

A 7" knife will do about anything a 9" knife will do but with a focus on being compact and lightweight (comparatively)

I'm not keen on hollow grinds, but these are shallow hollow grounds and leave plenty of metal behind the edge.

Back