EP chosera 10k equivalent?

my chosera stones are cracking. My 10k fell off the blank cracked
Looking at the shapton glass. Getting an atoma for stock removal. Have the 1k and 3k chosera stones in good shape still.
Would the 16k shapton glass be a good replacement for my 10 k chosera? What about the 5 k ?

The Shapton Glass stones are slow at removing metal from what I have found and they do stay flat for a long time I really don't care for them much at all.
If you ever need to glue a stone back onto a blank just 3M Super 77 Spray and with it less is more you just need a lite dusting on the stone and blank try it on other stuff a few times until you get the hang of it,to remove the old adhesive just use Naptha or try lighter fluid it breaks down the glue really fast pretty much right on contact.

Thanks for the replys.
I just picked up a benchmade contega and am playing hell puting an edge on it as I am used to.
Whats your preference in stones wade? I love the feeling of my choseras. Just frustrating having them break

Shapton pro 12k and Chosera 10k has almost identical particle size. Chosera is a better polisher. Shapton gives a little bit of cloudy polish. Shapton loads up less than Chosera.

Depends on the steel really,I like the Congress Tools MoldMaster stones for doing fast work on normal kitchen knives,for harder to sharpen steels you can I like the Venev stones and I also like the Metallic bonded CBN or Diamonds.

I would glue the Chosera stones to blanks if I were you to give them more backing and make them stronger incase you push to hard when you sharpen,I do not soak the Chosera's for any longer then 15 minutes and with a guided system you still need to wet them often if you are having to use the stone for a while,also type on ebay rust eraser get a medium one I use them to de-glaze the stones I always had problems with my KME Chosera stones always glazing over after only 2 use's and it got to the point they just wouldn't remove any metal until they were de-glazed.

I also have the 3 set of Spyderco stones and really like them and do not seem to wear at all and depending on the edge you like they are great for maintaining your edge they do cut a bit slower then some other stones if you were to use them by hand but when I use them on my Tsprof they seem to not be to bad if you already have a good edge that's not been abused and just needs a touch up.

If you like really polished edge's I'd look at getting the Suehiro 10 and 20K the 10K is better then other 10K out there,the will also last you a very long time.

Also look up Michael Emler on youtube he is a really good freehand sharpener and use's a bunch of different stuff.

Last edited:
On my Edge Pro, I often substitute the Venev diamond stones in the 1200 and 2000 grit rating for the Choseras. However, I don't finish with the 2000; I then move to a 1 micron diamond strop, then 0.5, then 0.25. That gets me a very respectable polish.

Back