Escaping the rabbit hole?

With bad availability, more everyday tasks, obligations and expenses I'm spending less and less time browsing knives... and I no longer feel ecstasy or excitement when I see something.

I see nice knife but then remember "I already have something similar/ I don't need it/ It's too expensive for me now..."

I'm also blaming a friend of mine here. It's kinda my fault he got into knives and it's his fault I'm kinda losing it. He got rid of everything but users, which made me think like "That's smart move for a student, oh wait... I'm a student too!"... I don't have anything to sell but I feel myself losing interest for a while now and this is kinda giving me another push i that direction.

I love knives I have, but I have zero desire of getting anything ese. I also stopped to care about super steels and that stuff too... I have zero interest ino newest super steels when even existing ones are pretty amazing and are an overkill already, and honestly even plain old carbon is enough for me.

Anyone else been there?

Been there done that, give it a year or two and "the itch" will come back..

Ive gone from having 20+ knives to only 1 and being content with the one...but we are a fickle bunch and fickle is as fickle does...

I fell off the bandwagon recently and in the course of a month went from 2 knives back to 10+....

"Hi,my name is Tyler and I am an addict."

Anyone else been there?

Yep. :)

Even just in the five years I've been active here on BF, I've taken at least one long break (about a year, if memory serves) from being engaged with the hobby and the site. And in that time I've also had a couple of stretches where I was carrying the same knife every day for several months in a row, happy as a clam, and not thinking much about the hobby, the market, or what else was out there.

It ebbs and flows -- like my other hobbies. And, broadly, when any hobby is consuming more of my immediate focus, the others recede into the background.

I always circle back to knives as a hobby, and the renewed enthusiasm after a time away can be kind of fun in its own right.

My advice is not to force it. See where the journey takes you. :)

Many times. It comes and goes.

My advice is to be content with what you have for as long as you can. The itch for something new will eventually hit you.
I agree.

I'm OK with it even if the itch never returns. Whatever it is - I won't force anything.

I'm kinda focusing on university, managing work together with university, squeezing some workouts in my free time, girls and having some beers with my buddies. So I think with time I might be back, once all this ends.

It's ebbed and flowed for me for years. I got back into knife collecting earlier this year.

And, for me, it's just the same as my other main "collecting" hobby - watches. Sometimes the majority sit unused and I don't buy a new one for ages then I switch attention to them and a different one is worn every day, I sell and buy some and the cycle repeats. I've been through well over 150 watches over the years.

I don't overthink it and just go with the flow really. I have built and reduced, and then rebuilt, both collections several times. I enjoy the hunt for a new "must have" but now I know what I like so well that I rarely buy a knife or watch that I don't like or regret. While I like both for their design, intricacy, engineering and materials, I enjoy using them and don't buy anything to be just a safe queen - although in truth very few of my knives get used hard.

Last edited:
Definitely comes and goes, I usually don't buy anything for quite a few months and if something catches my eye on youtube or on here I just pull the trigger.

I'm sure something will catch your eye and you will become obsessed again.

There has been an ebb and flow to all of my hobbies. Knives are no different. My suggestion is... don't worry about it and follow your interests regardless of whether it is a general interest or heightened interest. As far as blade steel goes, I have pretty much moved away from the so called super steels to something typically in the middle range. I see some new offering in say a Spydie in a new for model steel and I just say.... what I have is good enough. I own more knives than I will use in a lifetime even if I were 20 years old and I'm not. That doesn't mean I'm not interested. I just am not interested enough to spend the money often times now. This year has been a big change year for me.

Welp....seems many folks' priorities have changed lately, including mine.

Not many super sexy radical departures have happened lately in the knife world...overbuilt titanium framelock flippers! :cool: And in the last couple years knife prices have seemed to significantly increase, especially for the big makers.

But knives are still cool, love the ones I have, and there's always more to learn about them, and I'm sure some sexy thing will catch my eye one day.

Until then...so many other can't afford/don't need rabbit holes to go down!

I took a 2 year break myself (you can even look at my post history and see). After getting scammed out of $1650 from a maker, I wanted nothing to do with the hobby anymore. Got into watches heavily (still am) but found myself missing the people and conversations in the knife community. Watches are great but my god, the conversations on watch forums can get boring and annoying to say the least.

....Got into watches heavily (still am) but found myself missing the people and conversations in the knife community. Watches are great but my god, the conversations on watch forums can get boring and annoying to say the least.
I participate in photography forums and about the only really interesting conversations are the .... "I'm new to photography. Help me decide on a camera and camera family." Like knives, those can be kind of fun as I am not that far removed from that phase of my life. Basically if I change brands, I am going back to square one in terms of equipment. I imagine watches can be the similar.

It's ebbed and flood for me for years. I got back into knife collecting earlier this year.

And, for me, it's just the same as my other main "collecting" hobby - watches. Sometimes the majority sit unused and I don't buy a new one for ages then I switch attention to them and a different one is worn every day, I sell and buy some and the cycle repeats. I've been through well over 150 watches over the years.

I don't overthink it and just go with the flow really. I have built and reduced, and then rebuilt, both collections several times. I enjoy the hunt for a new "must have" but now I know what I like so well that I rarely buy a knife or watch that I don't like or regret. While I like both for their design, intricacy, engineering and materials, I enjoy using them and don't buy purely anything to be a safe queen - although in truth very few of my knives get used hard.
Lol, I think lots of knife addicts have an attraction to watch’s as well .

My all time favorite response on a watch board:
Q: Should I be concerned about water resistance if my Dive watch has a crystal on the back to view the movement?
A: What, you mean like the crystal on the front???

those back crystals are awesome if you have bad sweat that's prone to screw up a nice watch with a metal back.

Back