ESEE-5 vs ESEE-6

They're not really " very alike" at all other than the fact they're sharp, pointy and made of 1095 carbon steel. From there, they deviate quite bit with design and purpose

Sorry I meant they were not really alike

I like both of them, but if I knew I could only choose one of them in a tough survival situation, I'd go with the 5. It's a tank.

Maybe I have my own solution. I had bought a Gerber LMF II a couple of years ago as a SHTF knife.

OK stop all the laughing.

Perhaps I could sell that knife and put the money towards a 6 and also buy the 5 I have already been saving for. i am sure Dale likes that idea.

The ESEE-6 is in my opinion by far the better of the two.

The 5 is in my opinion too thick for its length.I had the 5 and Sold it.
It feels like a brick in the hand.

When you look at the Junglas(fantastic knife !!) with its 3/16th"(5mm) thick blade.
And that blade is capable of some heavy duty chopping !Look at youtube for some reviews..

Swords were mostly around 3/16th"(5mm) or so .
And the ESEE-5 is thicker many swords:eek: !

for what?

I think the ESEE-6 does all you want a knife to do.
It is tough enough for most tasks.No doubts about that.

I like the new version very much ,with the clip point.
Better penetration than a standard ESEE 6 ,and ten times better penetration than the 5 .

And good looks.
Looks aren't everything.But it does count ;)

The 5 and 6 are apples and oranges. If I were doing Air Mobile stuff like the Jungla forces do on a daily basis and wanted something to beat, chop and cut my way out of a wrecked airframe, the 5 would be my choice. Period. Hands down. But, if I'm working in the woods then I like the 6. Personally the Clip Points have zero value to me, but then again I've always thought knife fighting was bullshit and that's about the main purpose for the penetrating point.

Won't a clip point stab better through airplane skin than the thick ESEE-5 tip?

And the reason to take the 5 above the 6 almost only for cutting out of an airplane...

Couldnt a 6 do that also?
I think so.

For all other tasks I choose a 6.
For smaller the 3(Also a great knife !!).

I dont know about knife fighting.
But i have read about former soldiers (French Legion) who used their knife(spade works too) to take down an 'opponent'.

It happens.
Maybe on the same daily ase as cutting your way out of an airoplane?:D

For striking a firestarter i have this piece of metal attached to it.
Then again,
a bic lighter works fine too.

And a magnesium firestarter is as natural as a BIC lighter is(For the people who want live the primitive life).
They both aren't found in the ground.

these are just my opinions ofcourse..

Last edited:
Won't a clip point stab better through airplane skin than the thick ESEE-5 tip?

And the reason to take the 5 above the 6 almost only for cutting out of an airplane...

Couldnt a 6 do that also?
I think so.

The 6 can bend, the 5 can't (not by human force anyways). If I was prying metal, I'd take the 5 over the 6.

I see the 5 as an axe head with a knife handle...nothing splits wood like the 5..

The 6 can bend, the 5 can't (not by human force anyways). If I was prying metal, I'd take the 5 over the 6.

I see the 5 as an axe head with a knife handle...nothing splits wood like the 5..

I can tell you that the axes i know have not such a thick grind as the ESEE-5 has, and these axes chop wood WAY better than the relatively small ESEE-5.

When do you pry metal ?:confused:
Cutting your way out of a plane is not the same as prying metal.

Isn't a crowbar a better option if you want to pry metal.

The fact that you are able to bend a knife doesnt say anyting about it's abilities.The 6 is not that weak.
Destroying things/knives is one thing.
Using things another.

The 6 is a much better cutter than the 5.
A knife is primarily about cutting.Not prying metal.

I can get a cold chisel as sharp as a ESEE-5....

Personally, I am getting the 5, serrated edge. I have a 3, plain edge. They will complement each other fine for my purposes.

Seems like some of the posts lately have gotten into a "why the knife I bought is a better option, so I have to convince you of the same."

99.9% of folks that buy ESEE will never be jumping out of an airplane or ever walking through a jungle. Buy what you can legally carry and what works for your application. I carry ten knives every day and wear 3 pairs of underwear, so I'm ready for any challenge I might face.

Whatever anyone wants to buy and use is fine by us. If it works for their application, then there is no argument to be made against that.

99.9% of folks that buy ESEE will never be jumping out of an airplane or ever walking through a jungle. Buy what you can legally carry and what works for your application. I carry ten knives every day and wear 3 pairs of underwear, so I'm ready for any challenge I might face.

yeah hello.

that will make it a small knife for most of us wont it.
:mad:

lets each of us have his/her own fantasy ok?

:p

Whatever anyone wants to buy and use is fine by us. If it works for their application, then there is no argument to be made against that.

exactly.

If I want to buy a Junglas to take it into my dreams(no,not nightmares) where i have this battle with zombies than i have the right to do just that :D.

anyhoe,many knife buyers who buy knives which cost more than say 50 Dollars, buy them because of the beauty or coolness factor of them.I think...
For pure use only you don't need to buy a 200 Dollar blade.
My kitchen Chef knife has cost 10 Euro.It does all it need to do.

So let us/me keep on buying those false edge or dangerous looking double edged daggers and treat our fellow human beings in peace ;)

That's what real doll dot com is for
Yeah I have seen that site too.

But with that kind of hobby I cant find the satisfaction.
I leave the Kraton to the Kabar handles.

Only with the real meaty dolls I can have this fullfilling fantasy.

I hope nobody thought my post meant not to buy whatever you want. I own a ton of blades just for fun. Can we really use more than one at a time? Of course not. But who cares. I like options. It's great being able to carry something different each day whenever the mood strikes. Carried my 5 on my belt under my shirt to a Christmas party last night; have my custom 4 on my belt now, might carry my HEST tomorrow, gotta have options.....

good point :) i bet a lot of Texans prefer the 5 over the 6

And I admit that my ESEE-5 came razor sharp out of the box(even though the 6 is a better slicer).
The coolness factor is certainly there with the 5.
No doubt about that.

Maybe I was a bit too negative/harsh on the ESEE-5(reading back my post).
If you were alone or with a friend out in the wild ,without a knife or a weak one,and there are many of them, and by accident you 'found' an ESEE-5 (use some imagination :D). You definitely will be very happy finding it.Very very happy.

That's the truth.

And it will outchop a Kabar for that is has the strength that you can chop and baton with it without having to worry to break the blade-tang construction.
It is tougher than tough.

So...
:rolleyes:

Back