ESEE forum closed... bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.... as a relatively new member of Blade Forums and a new participator in the ESEE sub-forums I think it's extremely unfortunate that it came to this and I would like to say that at some point I hope cooler heads prevail and that an agreement can be reached. While I won't weigh in on a side since I don't know all the particulars I WOULD like to say that from what I've seen I'm impressed with the heads of the two sides for not letting this devolve into a petty fight! I compliment Spark for being professional and not going into details that don't need going into nor allowing a bunch of speculation and rumor mongering to turn this into a witch hunt! I learned everything I need to know about working on knives on this site and I'll remain a participant, having said that I belong to several different forums and will also frequent a place that is home to people of a similar personality or mindset. Some of those are here (and here I am) and some of those are on other forums, which I also frequent. There's room for everyone in the great big internet kiddos!

Remains to be seen. I'd have preferred this situation not come up to begin with. Past that, we'll see in the morning.

I'm going to turn in, those of you with paid subscriptions can see why my night was extra exciting in a certain unnamed subforum

I.....am a dumbass *edit for whining about not knowing which forum to look in*

Last edited:
Spark & the other great people on this forum, I am in the fog about a few things. First off, being on the other side of 50, it's past my bedtime. Second, my Ginkoba is wearing off so there is a little haze rolling in, so please excuse me.
I have always tried to conduct myself in a "grown up" manner the short 6 months I have been on here, respecting other's opinions & hoping they respect mine. But here is what I don't understand about this situation. All the other forum members, Becker, Buck, Busse, Spyderco, etc. sell knives & accessories, & that makes up the majority of their forum subject posts. But ESEE is a little unique in that regard, i.e.:
A) Knives : Knife Related
B) Sheaths & Acces. : Knife Related
C) ESSE Pouches : Knife / Survival / Bushcraft / E&E / Camping Related
D) ESEE Pack : Survival / E&E / Bushcraft / Camping Related
E) ESEE Fire Kit : Same as above
F) ESEE Survival Kit : Same as above
G) ESEE Signal Mirror : Same as above
H) ESEE "Nav." Cards : Same as above
I ) ESEE Survival Item Tins : Same as above
J ) ESEE Survival Courses : Same as above
I guess what I am asking is this, if these products are a mix of a company's inventory & goods available to the general public, wouldn't any kind of "discussion" on the same products be relevant to their individual forum?
Like I said in the first part, over 50, past my bedtime, Ginkoba running low.
If a first time camper bought an ESEE fire kit to learn to start a spark induced fire & then wanted to know what type of tinder would work best, should not the responding posts to his question be kept in that forum since the item is part of that company's goods?
Thanks for taking the time to read this Spark, and thanks to all who have helped increase my outdoor knowledge over the last 6 months . . . . :)
Now, I am going to bed, good night . . . . :yawn:
Be safe.

Spark & the other great people on this forum, I am in the fog about a few things. First off, being on the other side of 50, it's past my bedtime. Second, my Ginkoba is wearing off so there is a little haze rolling in, so please excuse me.
I have always tried to conduct myself in a "grown up" manner the short 6 months I have been on here, respecting other's opinions & hoping they respect mine. But here is what I don't understand about this situation. All the other forum members, Becker, Buck, Busse, Spyderco, etc. sell knives & accessories, & that makes up the majority of their forum subject posts. But ESEE is a little unique in that regard, i.e.:
A) Knives : Knife Related
B) Sheaths & Acces. : Knife Related
C) ESSE Pouches : Knife / Survival / Bushcraft / E&E / Camping Related
D) ESEE Pack : Survival / E&E / Bushcraft / Camping Related
E) ESEE Fire Kit : Same as above
F) ESEE Survival Kit : Same as above
G) ESEE Signal Mirror : Same as above
H) ESEE "Nav." Cards : Same as above
I ) ESEE Survival Item Tins : Same as above
J ) ESEE Survival Courses : Same as above
I guess what I am asking is this, if these products are a mix of a company's inventory & goods available to the general public, wouldn't any kind of "discussion" on the same products be relevant to their individual forum?
Like I said in the first part, over 50, past my bedtime, Ginkoba running low.
If a first time camper bought an ESEE fire kit to learn to start a spark induced fire & then wanted to know what type of tinder would work best, should not the responding posts to his question be kept in that forum since the item is part of that company's goods?
Thanks for taking the time to read this Spark, and thanks to all who have helped increase my outdoor knowledge over the last 6 months . . . . :)
Now, I am going to bed, good night . . . . :yawn:
Be safe.

Been thinking that same thing thing this entire time. Don't know if anyone wants to hear another sob story about how much ESEE means to be but here goes! The ESEE community played a big part for me in determining which knives I decided to make my next purchase as well as others here. I started my search wanting to update my 3 year old combo of 22" Ontario machete, Gerber hatchet, and my trusty Kabar. While it served me well I wanted something more classic and more tailored to what I wanted, by classic i basically mean more leather and wood. I first started looking at the Condor Hudson bay, and then I found the ESEE community and I was sold, ended up ordering a Junglas and a ESEE-4 (wait it killing me slowly but surely). It will be a shame to see them go. That said, I am trying to join the new ESEE forum, it was just nice to have everything here in one place.

Cheers

Hahaha, anyone else feel really displaced by this? Like being in some strange woods or country but surrounded by familiar people. Refugees. Odd feeling.

Hahaha, anyone else feel really displaced by this? Like being in some strange woods or country but surrounded by familiar people. Refugees. Odd feeling.

. . . like coming home from college one week-end and finding out your parents moved to the next town . . . and didn't tell you . . . :)
Be safe.

That said, I am trying to join the new ESEE forum, it was just nice to have everything here in one place.

Cheers

If you sent your email to Jeff at the address in the sticky at the top of the new place, you'll prob get approved tomorrow. I am still waiting myself. Give them a little bit to get to it. :)

Damn that would really suck... but wasn't something mentioned about changing the name from rat pack to something else after we hit 1000 members? Maybe there will be a new subforum under that name??

You know what I think is kinda sad, I see alot of posts saying I just bought a new Esee knife now what am I going to do......WTF?????

Wow, sorry to hear it's come to this. I thought I got banned or something when I tried to reply to an ESEE subforum thread and realized I couldn't. It took a few minutes to realize what had happened.
Thanks for the link on how to register on the ESEE forum. I tried registering several times in the recent past and couldn't figure out why it was disabled.

Heads up. Whilst Jeff should be applauded for having the courage of his convictions one of you that is a member of his new forum might like to clue him in that having every member's IP address publicly displayed in their posts is not the norm, and he might like to address that.

Heads up. Whilst Jeff should be applauded for having the courage of his convictions one of you that is a member of his new forum might like to clue him in that having every member's IP address publicly displayed in their posts is not the norm, and he might like to address that.

Good catch! I just noticed it after you mentioned it.

I in no way wish to bash BF as a whole, great knife info here and lots to learn.
But, I will say that one of the main draws to the ESEE sub-forum was that it contained a vast amount of knife/survival content in one location. If I were to break into every sub-forum that was pertinent to my interests, I'd be bouncing between more than I care to keep track of. W&SS, Outdoor Gear, Sheaths & Such, Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment, Activities, Training & Skills Development, ESEE was all of that rolled into one plus great knives.
Oh well, times change, time to move on I guess:confused:..........

SJ

I applaud Jeff standing behind his convictions. We went through similar stuff in the WSS forum. That led to the creation of the outdoor gear subforum, and IMO it killed the WSS spirit. Its just not the same anymore. I know a ton of WSS regulars dont post much anymore, and many have jumped ship entirly. That hurt the community.

I think its going to no doubt affect ESEEs bussiness. I bet they got a ton of orders, probably the majority, by folks logging into BF to find a blade and running across their stuff. So in this regard I hope they come to an agreement and reopen the forum. If not, well, thats ESEEs and Sparks fight. Jeff and Mike have been very vocal about not carin if people buy from them or not. The regular ESEE guys will no doubt move over to the new spot, but with the overall vibe to newbs in the old spot, I just dont see many new guys jumping over there. While personally I love it when idiots are called out on it, it comes to the point many of us who work public service find, that after awhile all newcomers are thought to be idiots, just like some cops look at everyone as a POS, and some EMS guys look at people as idiots. Not that its right, but its the nature of babysiting adults. The flipside to that coin is this wont affect BF. Maybe some will leave for good, but its a drop in the bucket.

This is Sparks house. While I might not agree with the overmodding, (just my opinion) I still have been brought up since birth to respect and follow the rules. Especially when your in someone elses house. Like my old man once said, "If your gonna live under my roof......." Well thats when its time to make the decision of wheter or not you are going to continue living under said roof. :thumbup:

To the guys who are all pissy cause they bought an ESEE knife and now this, Im sure your blade isnt gonna die cause the ESEE forum is closed. Get out and use it, enjoy it. I see how that might upset people. Some guys are more collectors and internet junkies then outdoorsmen. Thats fine. Whatever floats ur boat. Just dont hand out advice about gear USE. :thumbup:

Well.... phoooey!

I still miss the Kershaw sub-forum... thought I'd lost the WSS, too.

Stainz

Why was this posted in General.

Spark, I know my opinion means jack in the grand scheme of things, but I wanted to comment on the "cantina" you mentioned. I have spent almost all my time in the ESEE forum since my registration. The reason for that was the community they have formed. We have talked about everything from knives, to packs, starting a fire, and so on. It's been that way since my first memory of the forum. It's more than a knife company. They're survival experts who teach this information.

To have that taken away now, seems counterproductive in the grand-scheme. There is a root problem here. Is the root-problem the fact that it's always been that way? Or that someone believes it needed to be changed after all this time? Find and fix the problem, not try and fix something that was never broken.

Well said mhill.

Seemed like outsiders didn't have any place there as well. I posted that I got my first ESEE knife and got a ton of flak from the old heads. Odd, usually people in manufacturer forums are glad to share their brand with someone new...

You posted that you bought a survival kit from ESEE and when your friend was on the way over to pick it up, you took the ESEE-6 out of it and substituted in a well-used Spyderco and that she would never miss it. Exactly TWO people asked if you took the knife out of a kit you bought or a kit she bought, a question of honesty. The way it was written I could see the confusion. Hardly "not a place for outsiders". We had new members every day, welcomed like an old friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back