ESEE Junglas and Busse Bushwacker

My new Junglas came in today. I have been wanting to compare this blade to the Busse Bushwacker Mistress. This is just a short comparison. These knives are so similar in design and purpose, it's scary. Both weigh about 22 oz. Both have 10 1/2" long blades nearly 2" wide and 3/16" thick. Both have micarta handles. The Junglas has a high saber flat grind with a bevel edge. The Bushwacker has a convex grind with a bevel final edge.
Junglas002.jpg

Junglas003.jpg

Junglas004.jpg

Junglas005.jpg

Fit and finish on the ESEE was every bit as good as on the Busse. Handles are flush with the tang. The Junglas has a very sharp edge right from the factory. The Busse, while not dull, did not come as sharp.
When you use them back to back, the first thing you notice is that the Junglas feels lighter and faster in the hand. It also has a more hand filling handle than the Busse, but I found both to be quite comfortable in use. Below, you can see that the balance points on the knives are different. The Junglas balances right at the blade/handle junction, while the Bushwacker balances about 1.5" forward of the scales, for a more blade heavy feel.
Junglas007.jpg

Also, the Busse has a large choil, while the ESEE has none. In use, the Junglas is very efficient for snap cuts on standing vegetation
Junglas008.jpg

Junglas009.jpg

The Busse did not do as well at this, but that is as much a function of the final edge than the balance. I know this because I have another Bushwacker with a full convex zero edge I put on it, and it does fine. But with factory edges, the Junglas slashes vegetation better, and it is faster in the hand.
Junglas010.jpg

Junglas011.jpg

Next, a little chopping.

Last edited:
In chopping wood, the differences were not as noticeable. They chopped about the same as near as I could tell. Maybe the slightly more blade heavy feel made the Busse an easier chopper, but then the Junglas is sharper. It pretty much evened out.
Junglas012.jpg

Junglas014.jpg

Junglas015.jpg

Junglas016.jpg

Junglas017.jpg

After some chopping, I slashed some palmetto leaves. One of the tests I use for machetes is slashing standing palmetto leaves. A good sharp one will cut them clean. And the Junglas did it beautifully.
Junglas018.jpg

The Bushwacker scratched the leaves, but did not slice them cleanly. Of course, I can fix that in a few minutes on my belt sander, but this is how they did with factory edges.
Junglas019.jpg

The Junglas came with a great sheath, as has been noted by others. For my uses, I doubt that it even needs the handle strap, but for those hanging upside down on Jeff's rope bridges, it adds some extra security.

Junglas021.jpg

Junglas022.jpg

The MOLLE back is good for those using military style gear. The drop down loop is handy for leg carry if you're wearing body armor, which most of us will never do. I plan to do a more extensive review later. It's not like I am running out of stuff to chop. I do not do "destruction" testing, but I am guessing the INFI is tougher than 1095. For $200 more than the Junglas, I would hope so. For me, well tempered 1095 has always worked fine with good edge retention, reasonable toughness, and easy sharpening. I just buy those Busses because I like them, I guess. They are some fine knives. But in bang for the buck, these ESEE blades work just fine for me. In summary, this new Junglas looks like a high quality jungle knife with better fit, finish, and ergonomics than its RTAK predecessors, and it is priced right.

Last edited:
Great post. I really like the Busse.

Great review HD.

Damn it Jeff will you say something nice about your own product! Please! :D

The Junglas is a great knife. I think the steel in the Busse will take more lateral force though.

Thanks very much for this. I have been looking forward to the comparison since you mentioned it in another thread.

Very cool post.

Great comparison. I love the looks of Busse's but am reticent to spend that much on a chopper I won't use that much. I have an RC-4 and am really impressed with it. Love the RAT warranty also

Gotta love that, buck 70 with sheath...awesome big chopper that will do anything you want for sure...

The Junglas is a great knife. I think the steel in the Busse will take more lateral force though.

I'll leave that kind of testing to others. I have used 1095 for years and I like it. Yes, I have seen it shatter when the heat treat isn't right, but such events have been rare. INFI is an amazing steel, with super toughness, outstanding edge retention, and good corrosion resistance. But not everyone is going to pay the premium price for that extra performance when a good solid knife in 1095 will get the job done. This Junglas is everything I hoped it would be. Finally, the RTAK is just right! :thumbup::D

Much thanks, Horn Dog. Rowen does a fantastic job with 1095.

can you post a video of this please?

I'd have to get somebody out here to hold the camera, then. For some reason, people tend to leave the area when they see an old man whacking trees in his yard with a big knife in one hand, a beer in the other, and laughing like a maniac. :eek:

I'd have to get somebody out here to hold the camera, then. For some reason, people tend to leave the area when they see an old man whacking trees in his yard with a big knife in one hand, a beer in the other, and laughing like a maniac. :eek:

I can't see why anyone would run away from that. Seems like something I would be attracted too. (Aside from beer, though :eek: )

That was a great review between the Busse and Junglas. I can't wait to see some more in depth testing with the two. Great job!!!

thanks HD nice review comparison! All my Junglas has to do is show up.the wait hurts

Great review!!!

I have a custom 10" bladed bowie I've been using to fill this niche. Now I'm gettin real tempted to purchase one of these.

RAT PACK #103

I was waiting for this thread! Being an owner of a Bushwacker i was very curious to see how the junglas would compare to it! looks like it did very well! Thanks for the write up:thumbup:

Back