Esee?......... Or Rat?.......

I am a new ESEE junkie and do know that RAT is now ESEE. My question is are the RAT knives no longer made and so forth are they collecters item or are there a "butt load" of them still availible to where its just another knife made by the "esee family"? I guess what i am REALLY asking is if i find any RAT CUTLERY knives should i buy them without thinking or not because they are plentiful. Thanx for any input.

They're still out there but the consensus I picked up from doing searches on this subject are that the Rowan-made ESEE models are better quality. Nothing wrong with RAT, but...

I don't see it as a big deal but I will trade you two new esee blades for one of my rc marked blades. :D These are user tools, not collector pieces.

Now I would like some clarification there...

When referring to "RAT" aren't we talking about Ontario products (as opposed to ESEE)? Maybe I'm confusing the two.

They're still out there but the consensus I picked up from doing searches on this subject are that the Rowan-made ESEE models are better quality. Nothing wrong with RAT, but...

I think he was referring to RAT Cutlery not Ontario RATs. The RC-3 and the ESEE-3 for example are the same knife except for the laser engraving.

Yeah, if by "RAT Cutlery" you are refering to Rowen made knives, prior to the name change to ESEE, then we are on the same page.
I don't recall anyone thinking that they are collectable. I have a RC-4 made by Rowen and don't think it's worth more or less.

I bought an ESEE-6S from TKC the other day and it came as an RC-6S. They're the same. The name change was because of the confusion with the Ontario "RAT" series which are very similar in design (designed by the ESEE guys), but aren't made the same.

I wouldn't call any of them "collectible". They're tools.

Well that is exactly why i posted this because i am not aware of what is the same and what is not. I actually was looking at purchasing tue rtak 2 but did farther research and that is when i found that the junglas was made by the same company just a new name, also that it was a more renouned blade therefore i went with the obvious. So if any light can be shed on this i would greatly appreciate it.

Oh and by the way i am not wanting to "collect" any of them but i have a shop around me that has some old RAT blades availible but i am not sure what is considered of the highest regard. THANX GUYS

Any Rowen made blade will be of the highest regard, just pick your size.

RAT knives were made by Ontario
then made by Rowen, and called RAT Cutlery
then changed to be called ESEE, still made by Rowen.

I would be suprised if in the future, my RC-4 would be worth more than an ESEE-4. Time will tell, but I'm using it the same.

Just for the thread sake....I was working a trade with an RC-4 and the guy didn't want to trade because he was looking for an ESEE-4. Even though they are the same knife. He just preferred to have ESEE engraved on his knife.

Just a matter of taste I guess. I would take either and be happy. Eventually the coating is going to wear off and you have the same 1095 steel underneath both knives.

Someone else has listed a WTB post for a RC4. The listing is in the Want to Buy Knives section of this forum. It's just less letters to wear off.

So, both ESEE and RAT knives are made by Rowan, right?
Are they exactly the same other than laser engraving?
Handles, grinds, coatings, etc all identical?
Thanks all,
Lenny

Yeah i am curious to that as well Lenny, but guys correct me if am wrong but i think they are saying yes they are exactly the same except ingraving.

Half my ESEE collection say Rat Cutlery on them.I think only my junglas,HEST and my izula 2 are ESEE marked.

"I would be suprised if in the future, my RC-4 would be worth more than an ESEE-4. Time will tell, but I'm using it the same."

Ditto. I didn't like the name change so I am glad I have my Rat's but even if they were worth more I still intend to wear them out if that's even possible! :) I bought one collector knife at a charity auction and I regret it-no remorse in giving to the charity just my not being able to stand "safe queen" items-I just have to use a tool for what it was made for! I'd shoot Wyatt Earp's gun if I owned it even if it dropped in value as a result! LOL!

Back